The Corroboree
Humanfuel

My HBWR is finally flowering..... YAY...!!!!

Hey guys...... I just wanted to thank you all for the responses I got awhile ago ... on... why my HBWR wasn't flowering........ I repoted in a larger pot...... and cut my plant down a bit..... and PRESTO....!!!!!....... less than a month down the line....... and FLOWERS.......... sooooo proud........ :wub:

post-609-1141777706_thumb.jpg

post-609-1141777791_thumb.jpg

Is it just my HBWR or are these flowers REALY subtle in smell? My flowers are nice and big but the scent is nearly unnoticable.

Not too sure about the scent........!!!!...... will check that out on the next flower that comes out.....

BUT.......Mine are only flowering for 1 day then they fall off....... is that normal......??????

the vines ive seen this year are very mixed depending on where they are grown and when they were planted/germinated... One is absolutely monsterous, similiar to the size of Torstens big bugger, however spread over a larger area, and no where near as dennse growth as the one i have seen in newcastle which is a monster, however is in a relatively compact size for the capacity of these things...

The larger beast i have seen up northish has a huge load of seed and last flowers, however the one in necastle hasnt yet started to flower and on close inspection it look as if it is only just starting.

The other two i have seen were planted late from a bungled indoor set up that was left to do its own thing for a while and thus the base was a huge tangle of vine but there were only three internodes with maybe 6 or 7 main leaves... These two were planted in the same microclymic as the above mentioned 'monster' however have had minimal time in the ground (2.5months) but are still about 5m in length covering an area of about 2square metres.i very much doubt these guys will flower.

As for your flowers falling off from memory the pollinated ones i have seen receed into themselves, amking a petal bud formation prior to seed production.. however dont quote me on it ive seen it only once or twice.

Also the vines i have encountered when in full flower have a distinct aromatic presence in the garden albeit subtle. but ive always loved the smell of a fresh flower upon closer selection, very sweet and sharp yet dreamy (or something like that) ;)

Don't get your hopes up over producing seeds. I never got any and Torsten only got a couple. He blames it on beetles. I don't have the same beetles where I live but never got a seed. I suspect it's sensitive to local conditions, humidity, light cycle, temps and so on and will only set seed under certain conditions. If all you want are flowers, you will get them.

Thanks guys........ yeah..... the other day just the petal fell off...... so I was hoping it had been pollinated and the ovary would stay and produce the fruit....... but I noticed this morning that the whole ovary section had fallen off ....... so yep...... no fruits for now..... :ana:

The other two i have seen were planted late from a bungled indoor set up that was left to do its own thing for a while and thus the base was a huge tangle of vine but there were only three internodes with maybe 6 or 7 main leaves... These two were planted in the same microclymic as the above mentioned 'monster' however have had minimal time in the ground (2.5months) but are still about 5m in length covering an area of about 2square metres.i very much doubt these guys will flower.

I have a couple of plants I have just put in the ground...from your above post, is there something I should be doing other than leaving them to do thier own thing?

i seem to remember a thread called "how to make ur convulacea bloom" but i cant quite remember if it was this forum or another one of my haunts.. ill check it out and see if i can find a link...

frommy experience they need little other then water and a bit of fert... their leaves droop considerably when hungry and stand big tall and full shape when happy and midday sun is powering them on.

I expect that these are the last flowers of the season from a seed heavy plant

P1011941.jpg

P1011943.jpg

That's one damn fine looking plant ya got there Tripitaka........ sooooo many seed pods.....!!!!!....... Nice..... :D

wow, that's a great looking plant!

how do you keep it from taking over your garden?

wow, that's a great looking plant!

tripitaka trains his plants well :lol:

If you saw the other vines taking over his garden, youd realise that its a mutual relationship.... he likes training the plants to take over in a very artistic synergestic way.... if you stand too still in his garden, im sure there is a couple of things that may envelope you... but if your like us plant heads, youll like being enveloped ;)

Thought that it may have been a problem at first however once flowering had initiated the biomass of the plant remained fairly stable and all energy went into flower and seed production.

The vine is only 8 months old would you believe and is covering an area of approx. 6sqm. It is grown as a standard ie on a arm with the biomass weeping down over the vertical member.

tripitaka trains his plants well :lol:

I think that I will have to cut it back once seeds are harvested as I have Orchids on the benches underneath that will not recieve any light through the cooler months if it remains where it is!

If you saw the other vines taking over his garden, youd realise that its a mutual relationship.... he likes training the plants to take over in a very artistic synergestic way.... if you stand too still in his garden, im sure there is a couple of things that may envelope you... but if your like us plant heads, youll like being enveloped

This is true, there is a growing emphasis on Entheogenic permaculture with plants growing around in and through each other. They are all dealt with accordingly when the time is right :wink: I have had Caapi try to come in through the window before!

The seed has come to a stand still and I think it is waiting fort he cold to initiate ripening

That is one of the most beautiful sights I have seen in a long time.

:worship:

Those fruits look like something out of a dream sequence in a Hitchcock movie.

Great job.

how long does it take for the seed pods (at the same stage a in Tripitaka's pics) to be ready to pick. when is the best time to pic them?

i know where a plant is that i believe is HBWR, and has seeds like those on Tripitaka's (checked yesterday), but it's a fair way from where i'm living, so i was wondering how long until i should check on it again for mature pods.....

Will these flower in sydney or is the weather too unfavourable. I notice that my leaves will never reach a rich green as they seem to in more norther areas, they seem to yellow a bit during winter as mornings can get pretty cold sometimes getting down to -4 degrees in wint.

Will these flower in Sydney or is the weather too unfavourable. I notice that my leaves will never reach a rich green as they seem to in more norther areas, they seem to yellow a bit during winter as mornings can get pretty cold sometimes getting down to -4 degrees in wint.

Hey Darkhorse, I would have thought that HBWR would most likely flower in Sydney, but I reckon they'd slow way down in Winter, and maybe even die back a bit if exposed to frosts. That could be a blessing in disguise though as my HBWR is totally out of control. I'm just waiting for the seeds to mature before I prune it within an inch of it's life :uzi: This PIC doesn't really do it justice as I can't actually get round the back it's so thick. This is 1 years growth, in Brisbane. I lost some of my parrots a little while ago and I suspect they may have been poisoned by it. The rest seem to have learned to leave it alone. Anyone know how long before the Pods will be ready to pick :huh: Oh yeah Darkhorse, maybe trying some NPK fertilizer or any broad spectrum nutrient fertilizer for that matter might help with the greenness. I wouldn't bother feeding it too much over winter though :)

post-4603-0-30868000-1303334227_thumb.jp

post-4603-0-30868000-1303334227_thumb.jpg

post-4603-0-30868000-1303334227_thumb.jpg

A question about HBWR, is it a woody stemmed creeper? I was planning on planting mine along a wooden fence, but don't want all the palings to be pushed apart. I had to replace the fence after a Jasmine totally wrecked it. Yeah, so is it going to destroy the fence when/if it gets nice and big?

Edited by Amazonian