The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Leo^

Lovely Brug on Gardening Australia

Just saw an awesome brug sanguine(sp?) on gardening australia. According to the presenter "some foolhardy individuals use the poisonous seeds for hallucinations" wow, crazy people out there :P

I love it when there's cool ethnobotanic plants on gardening shows.

I saw some really cool cacti on 'The Garden Tap' (that's on Channel 31 for those people not in melbourne) a few months ago.

Also saw some cool stuff on Leonorous Sibericus on 'Gardening Australia'

Yeah nice cultural double standard ;)

anyone in our society who uses them is 'foolhardy' whilst the indigenous use is wise and 'medicinal'

LOl but sad :( at the same time

i didnt think it was very nice brug tho - not compared to what they can be

both the ones ive had run rings around what was in that garden

That's really weird, I saw it too, and on the day I officially joined (I joined months ago, but forgot about it till yesterday). I thought it was pretty good. Note the confusion: didn't the guy say that the leaves are poisonous while the seeds are hallucinogenic? Although this is technically true, aren't the tropanes responsible for both poisoning AND psychoactivity? This would mean that both the leaves and the seeds are both hallucinogenic and poisonous. You'll probably getting some "foolhardy individuals" deciding to eat the seeds because "we can't eat the leaves, they're poisonous". They're in for a nasty surprise. :puke:

On a similar note does anyone here actually use their tropane bearing plants for recreational purposes? most places i hear that this is a bad idea, yet on all the ethnobotanical sites they always appear to be in the top selling products. Maybe they just use them ornamentally :unsure: .

On a similar note does anyone here actually use their tropane bearing plants for recreational purposes? most places i hear that this is a bad idea, yet on all the ethnobotanical sites they always appear to be in the top selling products. Maybe they just use them ornamentally

Check out the philosophy and creativity section for an experience report - I dunno if I'd call it recreational but I definitely found it insightful.

the first thing i thought when i saw that was "how many kids are going to go eat the seeds without knowing the proper dosage".

i think its a bit irresponsible to say 'hey, look at this plant, it will make you hallucinate!' on national tv. He could of least warned people that its not a plesant trip by all reports...

^^^ Werd em up. It's pretty fucking stupid indeed - luckily I doubt many kids watch Gardening Australia.

i did when i was a kid :P ...but i wasn't the sort of kid who'd deliberately eat a poisonous tree. times change.

i remember a guy at uni who thought that tea made from the flowers of a brug would be an ideal supper for his evening. He seemed pretty grounded before the experience but was never the same afterwards. Had to be taken into care for a week or so if i remember correctly - he was forgetting to wear clothes - walking around with no top on and no shoes on a frosty morning chatting to people that noone else could see etc.

Apparently fucked his vision and nervous system as well as messing with his brain chem on a permanent basis.

Still, lovely looking plant - but a powerful one

brugs hardly will set seeds (so there is almost no danger of somebody trying this), i think they need foreign pollen.

so you would need various sanguineas to get seeds, which is not impossible...

my brugs allways produced seed's but i had many different strains planted close to each other. sanguineas flower only if the photoperiode is short (in winter) all other brugs flower during summer.

so i wonder if sanguinea could be pollinated with summer flowering brug pollen which had been stored in the fridge.

i had brug suavelones form pods with my yellow ( Xflava ) sanguinea with seeds but they abort b4 maturity

a good candidate for TC embryo rescue