The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
botanika

Biotransformation of tryptamines in fruiting mycelia

I came across this on the CCLI website. I have checked erowid and the shroomery on Jochen Gartz's work already but wondering if anyone knows anything more on this interesting subject? Particularly if there are other studies on fungi growing from DMT or similar tryptamine substrates.

'However there is a very interesting study that took place in Leipzig about 15 years ago. Jochen Gartz, a mushroom explorer whom I know quite well, has done some fascinating studies with Psilocybe species by raising them on solid media containing strange tryptamines that are alien to the mushroom. Apparently the enzymes that are responsible for the 4-hydroxy group of psilocin are indifferent to what it is they choose to 4-hydroxylate. He has taken things like DPT or DIPT and put them in the growth media and the fruiting bodies that came out contain 4-hydroxy-DPT or 4-hydroxy-DIPT instead of psilocin. In fact, he has a patent on the process. These active compounds are made by the mushroom so they really are natural and yet they never have been observed in nature. I'll give you even odds that if you put spores of a psilocybe species on cow droppings loaded with 5-MeO-DMT you would come out with mushrooms containing 4,5-HO-MeO-DMT. This way you avoid a 10 step synthesis by growing a psychoactive mushroom that contains no illegal drug.'

Dr Shulgin

I think Ion or maybe winder on the nook has done a fair bit of work on substrates containing DMT.

I think Ion or maybe winder on the nook has done a fair bit of work on substrates containing DMT.

Thanks Apothecary, I'll check it out.

cheers

People try this kind of thing incessently on the Shroomery without any luck - it sounds like yet again, Gartz is the only one who suggests its posible

Does anyone know whether mushrooms biosynthesize tryptamine first, then dimethylate it, then have the 4-hydroxylase enzyme act on it or whether it is in a different order if possible. Could the form of DMT used on the substrate affect the results ie freebase vs. salt form? Also how the mycelia take up the DMT would effect how it needs to be exposed to it. Could this idea also be used for other plants. Like give a particular plant an injection of tryptamine so the levels are higher, or would the plant simply lower its own production to even it out?

I was almost goin to post a new thread about this today until I realised this one was already around.

Check this out

http://www.maps.org/pipermail/maps_forum/1...May/000856.html

Its a theory about the expression of tryptamines and mescaline using recombinant DNA in yeast.

It is already being used to produce pharmaceutical drugs so I don't see why it couldn't work. But who would fund it?

Could you imagine the mayhem that would ensue if someone from the general public got hold of a strain of mescaline producing yeast. One super backyard brewry :saufen2: