The Corroboree
apothecary

A. complanata

Hi guys!

On the issue of A. complanata. I understand there has been some testing (with no discernible MAOI activity confirmed) from extracts up to as high as 500mg by the intrepid and adventurous Torsten.

What parts of the plant was extracted from?

Has anyone bioassayed the seed? What is the general opinion of using A. complanata seed if they turn out to be active? Has anyone bioassayed this with successful results that may indicate seasonal variation in active b-carbolines?

Does this plant seed prolifically? How long does it take to set seed if grown from seed? Any other comments you'd care to make?

I understand some b-carbolines gravitate towards the bark/root/rootbark (e.g. B. caapi, dormant P. harmala root) while other b-carbolines gravitate towards the seed (e.g. P. harmala) ...in this case, has the seed of A. complanata possibly been overlooked as useful?

I have a feeling this plant may indeed be active and useful, just requiring more research...

Much love. :lol:

Edited by apothecary

On the issue of A. complanata. I understand there has been some testing (with no discernible MAOI activity confirmed) from extracts up to as high as 500mg by the intrepid and adventurous Torsten.

We have it growing here and I have been interested in those one also. These specimens were photographed North West of Coffs Harbour around the granite belts running through the Corindi Plateau

P3040018.jpg

What parts of the plant was extracted from?

Initial extracts taken from root bark harvested in October showed little if any tryptamine component. There is a slight astringency to the trunk bark that could indicate beta carbolines, a simple UV test would indicate this, but has not been undertaken with the material that I have collected

Has anyone bioassayed the seed? What is the general opinion of using A. complanata seed if they turn out to be active? Has anyone bioassayed this with successful results that may indicate seasonal variation in active b-carbolines?

P3040002.jpg

Does this plant seed prolifically? How long does it take to set seed if grown from seed? Any other comments you'd care to make?

Not Bioassayed, but the plant does produce a prolific amount of seed. This particular colony may in fact be seeding at this time of the year or only recently finished. I will check this out for you Sina!

I understand some b-carbolines gravitate towards the bark/root/rootbark (e.g. B. caapi, dormant P. harmala root) while other b-carbolines gravitate towards the seed (e.g. P. harmala) ...in this case, has the seed of A. complanata possibly been overlooked as useful?

As mentioned rootbark was tested for tryptamines and not beta carbolines, my own feeling with this plant is that we just need to get the timing of these compounds right in terms of growing cycles. The little literature that I have accessed indicates the presence of both tryptamines and beta carbolines at varying times of the year. During Spring there is a strong reddening along the phylode margins which is not disimilar to Acacia Phlebophylla.

I have a feeling this plant may indeed be active and useful, just requiring more research...

I have some collected trunk bark here Sina if you wanted to see what you can find!

They certainly are a beautiful plant, this colony tends to be rather prostrate in its growth with many branches seemingly growing off the root ball with little actual trunking as such

Edited by Tripitaka

Well, I've shared all my information with you Sina. But, nothing I have suggests any Tryptamines worth playing with, just mainly the MAOI type substances.

Tripitaka, the references I have also list this as a rare Acacia species, so go easy on your harvesting. :wink:

Dunno how rare it is dude, T has seeds in the store :P

EDIT: I think someone once mentioned that the path to beta-carbolines is through simple tryptamines like DMT/NMT/Tryptamine or whatever, so it's very possible there would be some tryptamines in there.

What interests me though is how you did the extraction Santillan? I mean, if you did an A/B wouldn't both b-carbolines and tryptamines come over? When you say not much tryptamines were yielded, how did you qualify them as tryptamines in the first place?

If you just meant alkaloidal yield that might mean there is a definite seasonable variability....

Edited by apothecary

So, Apo, you're saying Trout is wrong? :P

As previously established, his notes are about 8 years old now, so may well be outdated.

I never bothered checking Torsten's store, as I just assumed they would be rare. :rolleyes:

But let it go on the records, Apo is disputing facts put forward by Trout! lol :lol:

The extraction was not performed by myself!

The material was gathered on a field trip with Folias and subsequently performed by him at later date.

Further correspondence with him indicated what I had mentioned.

Im sure he will put his 2 seeds worth in.

Not rare.

Parts used were new seasons lush regrowth after coppicing. it would be great to analyse bark and roots separately.

Yeah it seems the post I wrote earlier wasn't actually posted...

What I said was I'd be happy to take that stuff Tripitaka, and do some work on it, but I don't have the apparatus or time or space to do anything more complex than a Manske or crude solvent extracts...

I think trunk bark might be a good possibility considering the tests from trouts notes were done on stem/leaf matter (i.e. some bark).

I'd be happy to let someone else take the stuff to work on if they have the requisite stuff/time for better extractions.

After speaking to a knowledgable bloke, my main worry is that the THH & 4-Harman that is reported in trouts notes won't come across in a Manske due to the differene in polarity with the harmaline/harmine that the extraction targets pretty specifically.

(ah, I only just came across this thread after doing a search for "harmine")

I smoked some extracts from this plant and it was nice... but that is all... very low yielding... like 0.3%... I am sure there is some highly interesting alkaloids in this (like in a LOT of acacias) ... but this is seasonal.

An aboriginal man said to me recently, that the plants they use, he said 3-4, with the wattles, in order to activate them, were seasonally active... that the ceremonies they do only occur at certain times of the year, because it is only at certain times of the year that the alkaloids are present in the plants.

This could be the key with complanata too... and it may well be useful if harvested at the right time.

Julian.