The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
indigo264nm

Propagating Acacia by Cuttings

TAFE has begun and I need to get a propagation assigment started as soon as possible.

Basically I need to propagate 3 different types of plants using two conventional methods (30 specimens of each method) for each plant. I want to do at least one native and have tons of Acacia seeds, and I'm very confident in my seed raising abilities, but I need some advice on propagating Acacia's by cuttings. I need to end up with 30 cuttings so I will need to be fairly successful with my strike rate.

Just because of the abundance in my region I will probably opt for taking cuttings from a type easily identified such as A. longifolia or (perhaps even var. sophorae as it's very convienient) but if people have suggestions for Acacia's that are easy to strike and can be found in my area I have a book on Sydney Natives so I can probably hunt them down as well.

Anyway, to the point, anybody got a good method down pat for Acacia cuttings??? I've heard from people that Acacia's aren't commonly propagated by cuttings but yet I have bought an A. maidenii from Herbalistics before so I know it's definitely doable. I will have all the propagation materials necessary down at TAFE so more sophisticated materials (if required) won't be a problem.

Details on size and type of cutting material, environment, containers, time it takes to root etc are what I'm after.

Cheers,

Chris.

herbalistics probagates maidenii by cutting, are you sure of that?

i never heard much of accacias beeing probagated that way.

i guess they only will strike if you choose juvenile growth, which will be hard to find, unless you find a tree which has been pruned back and got some regrowth.

do you know about witches broom effect? if a tree has been cut down and after a while lot's of shoots spring up, thats a witches broom, because it looks that way.

if you take cuttings from a witches broom, than they will strike, older material will not, thats my guess...

Most acacias won't strike at all from cuttings. But there are a few that do. I guess find out which ones do and try those.

There are many other natives outside of the acacia family that will strike quite effectively.

If you want a native, id recommend Euclypt's....we do E.dunnii at work and have a great success rate.

PM me for further info if you are interested.

Very few acacias can be grown from cuttings. worse is that many will happily stay alive for 12-24 months before dying, but never producing any roots.

Sydney silver wattle Acacia podalyriifolia is a common ornamental (sometimes even weedy) which is sometimes grown from cuttings - especially the reddish form. The species contains beta carbolines.

I dont understand the recalcitrance in accepting acacias can be propagated by cuttings :huh:

They can be and are

and its published in several publications that they are

Several cultivars in horticulture are grown this way - prostrate and variegated forms

i myself have grown Claybush from cuttings

http://www.nativenursery.com.au/catalog/pr...&products_id=39

and that wa syears ago under less than ideal circumstances with next to no experience in these matters

Ive read ones with small to med phyllodes strike eaier than the long or pinnate types

taken after flowering

IBA treatment @8000ppm

under fog or mist helps

itd pay for this community to revisit this with some sincerity

in light of superior species and clones being discovered

same goes for grafting

im sure a professional grafter could figure a method to put phlebo on a hardier rootstock

Acacia podalyriifolia sounds interesting, and are beautiful plants... I will look around, by memory we might even have one on the TAFE grounds in the native area down the back. Something vague tells me that it would probably be a QLD Silver Wattle though so lets hope I'm wrong about that.

As for Claybush I'll look into that as well - the hardest part would be seeking out a good source to take material from.

Might just opt for something easier, as there are plenty of other natives that I could do but I wanted to go acacias purely because I've had a soft spot since a little kid remembering the puffs of yellow everywhere when bushwalking during spring. I probably will still make a couple of trays up and end up with many Acacia seedlings to raise and give away down the track.

P.S. Darcy - you're right. My bad, I just vaguely remembered it saying rooted cutting when I ordered it (a while ago), but I've ordered many plants from different places and am probably just used to seeing it written all the time hehe.

What are some experiments someone could do to test the usefulness of A. podalyriifolia?

I have access to nursery stock of this plant and also one in a backyard I probably have permission to harvest some material from...

To test for constituent weight...Manske? A/B? Then what?

Which are the active parts? The only info I could find mentioned tryptamine in the leaves.

Would the b-carbolines make harvesting this plant illegal?

Is this like A. baileyana that has both tryptamine and b-carbolines in it?

Apo,

Checking Trout's notes on Acacia, the A. Podalyriifolia only seems to contain Tryptamine, Phenthylamine, and B-Phenethylamine. This is in leaves, stems and unripe seedpods.

Looks to be of little use for what you're thinking of. :wink:

Managed to get a chunk of this material today. Bark stems and leaves.

Torsten? Is trout right? Got ref for the b-carbolines?

Is trout right? IS TROUT RIGHT?? What kind of question is that! :P

There has been alot more research into Acacias since he compiled his notes, in 97 and 98, though.

So, there probably is new information. Torsten, you got a source?

I guess I'll be pencilling my own notes into Trout's notes. Benzito and Trout's notes. I like that. :lol:

i got a quick chat with trout and funney enough this was one of my questions :)

seems theres a lot more trouts notes out there if the funds for publishing were available.

the reason I did not immediately reply is because I made that comment from memory and while my brain is quite reliable, it does occasionally get things wrong especially if they are as old as this tidbit. This species is one of the first I ever looked into, so we are talking 1995 or thereabouts. I am trying to remember where I got that from, but not doing too well. So yes, it may well be wrong.

seems theres a lot more trouts notes out there if the funds for publishing were available.

I've offered twice now, so I presume it's not quite that simple a matter.

So yes, it may well be wrong.

:blush::blush: I got the name wrong. I remembered it has silvery foliage so I googled my way to what I thought it was. Bad idea when dealing with acacias :wink: .

It's not the species I stated, but rather A. baileyana. There is no red form of the one I had stated mistakenly, but there is a red form of A.baileyana (ie var purpurea).

My propagation advice and statement about pharmacology should be applied to A.baileyana only. And yes, this one contains beta carbolines.

Edamn. There is A. baileyana everywhere around here too.

How would one separate the b-carbolines for experimentation from the tryptamine that it is also reported to contain? I imagine mixing something that has possible MAOI activity with tryptamine to be a bad idea.

Should I be starting a new thread on this stuff?

Edamn. There is A. baileyana everywhere around here too.

How would one separate the b-carbolines for experimentation from the tryptamine that it is also reported to contain? I imagine mixing something that has possible MAOI activity with tryptamine to be a bad idea.

Should I be starting a new thread on this stuff?

manske will leavve the tryptamines in the wash. it may also not extract all types of beta carbolines though.

There are quite a few differences in solubilities etc that would allow some sort of separation.

why separate if you are just going to recombine anyway :P

I dont understand the recalcitrance in accepting acacias can be propagated by cuttings :huh:

They can be and are

and its published in several publications that they are

Several cultivars in horticulture are grown this way - prostrate and variegated forms

Sure, Acacia leprosa - Scarlet Blaze definitely is. You won't get that red colour to come back easily from its seeds.

Hehehe I got all my species vs common names very confused for a bit from this thread.

A.baileyana actually being the Cootamundra Wattle, and A. podalyriifolia being the QLD Silver Wattle. I knew I had learnt these before in plant recognition for cert II. :wink:

A little link on some Acacias that can be propagated from cuttings:

(with some useful details)

http://asgap.org.au/APOL2008/jun08-1.html

Yeah I remember reading that sometime last year... Still overall I've had very little success in past attempts to cultivate acacias by cutting (when my propagation skills were pretty decent). I did manage to get a few strikes after about 2 months (maybe 2-3 out of 30 or so) from the prostrate baileyana with bottom heat and under an automated misting system but they didn't end up surviving.

Guaranteed to get a better root system that natives want in australia in terms of depth.