The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SikkimRex

BOOKS IN BRISSY!

I am a bibliophile, a liddle beet of a collector, and so I keep my eyes open for second hand psychedelia.

Today I found some goodies (Grof and Hallifax - The Human Encounter with Death, Roseman - LSD The Age of Mind and Wurst - Flesh of the Gods!), but saw some others I already have. For those collectors out there, head to the following to get the following:

Bent Books (Boundary Street West End)

Eisner - Ecstacy

Lee - Acid Dreams

Archive Books (behind the counter)

Shulgins - Tikhal

Lee - Acid Dreams

Unfortunately, none of them are cheap, but they are cheaper than new.

Tikhal is $65, but new near a hundred!

I will post in this pont (ongoing) any books that I find that I already have that others might want in Brisbane,

as I go

Tikhal is $65, but new near a hundred!

Nah... on amazon it should be $40-$50, and you can get it from a bookshop in melbourne (you know the one) for $60.

cheers! if i can get to those bookshops i wouldn't mind having a look around...

i've also seen a copy of John M Allegro's 'Sacred Mushroom and the Cross' at a small secondhand bookstore in Ashgrove about a month ago (not sure of the name, but PM for details if someone's interested). since i already own both a hard and soft cover version of this book, i left it on the shelf :)

For books there's also a good websight based in nz that give free postage to orders over $50 (it all used to be free up until recently) http://www.fishpond.com.au/

You can pick up tihkal there for $45 plus they have a really good range of other counter culture books.

Edited by prier

prier, the idea is to try and get them without going through customs. it's worth a few extra dollars.

So Torsten, is TIKHAL illegal?

Fruck - it's not just our bodies they want to control...

This has been discussed a few times. There are thousands of books and other publications which are prohibited in australia. The place to look them up is the Office of Film an Literature Classification website:

http://www.oflc.gov.au/special.html

TIHKAL appears to be unclassified still, but PIHKAL is 'RC' (refused classification), which means it is illegal to sell, buy, import or possess.

Bruce Eisner's MDMA study book is also 'RC'.

I love RC's! They're illegal to import aswell aren't they? :P

RC, eh.. it's got a bad sound about it doe'snt it..

too like RUC (Royal Ulster Constabulary!)

hmm - scary stuff.

I love it when you have a box in the mail!

waiting, waiting...

can you say you just did'nt know?...

I went through a few second hand bookstores today, I got a book titled 'opium, a history' by martin booth & a book called 'hemp for health' by chris conrad.

I saw a few other goodies around too which looked kind of interesting.

If interested check out 'Carlton bookshop' on Swanston st & 'Book Affair' on Elgin st (both in Carlton)

John M Allegro's 'Sacred Mushroom and the Cross'

I saw this also, what's it about? is it worth grabbing?

*edited to add which bookstores.

Edited by prier

I went through a few second hand bookstores today, I got a book titled 'opium, a history' by martin booth

Both very interesting reads, Booths commentery on the Opium trade is very clear and precise and details how much of the worlds economy, both past and present is derived from the Poppy!

I liked it, well written, well researched and some great recipes :D

Allegros book, the Sacred Mushroom and the cross is obscure and hard to read unless you are a scholar and have a working concept of ancient linguistic models. The general notion of the book is that Christ is a metaphor for the mushroom! As I said it is obscure, however some of the translation are illuminating to say the least!

Edited by Tripitaka

Allegros book, the Sacred Mushroom and the cross is obscure and hard to read unless you are a scholar and have a working concept of ancient linguistic models. The general notion of the book is that Christ is a metaphor for the mushroom! As I said it is obscure, however some of the translation are illuminating to say the least!

This book sounds interesting, but when I went back they were asking $75 for it which seems a bit much. Ajna how much did you pay for you hardcover copy?

I also found a book 'Botanical Latin' by William T Stearn, it looks pretty good, has anyone got this book?

Edited by prier

yeah it's definately a heavy read, i haven't got close to finishing it yet. it reads like a scientific textbook, but the concept is great - check out the Pharmacratic Inquisition online, they raise a lot of the same 'evidence' points there.

i payed a humble $25 for my hard copy, tell 'em they're dreamin!

Edited by ajna

I feel so lucky, yesterday I picked up a copy of Thomas De Quincey's 'Confessions of an Opium Eater' from 1856, that's 150 years old. It was only $38. I love second hand bookstores.

Edited by prier

I feel so lucky, yesterday I picked up a copy of Thomas De Quincey's 'Confessions of an Opium Eater' from 1856, that's 150 years old. It was only $38. I love second hand bookstores.

If that was a period edition - you did very f'kn well ,my friend. Thats not a book, its an investment!

Most of the time these book shop fkers are checking abebooks all the time, so you just cant find these bargains any more. There is a bookshop in Annerley that is a total disaster, like an old fashioned one (maybe like GOulds in Syd), and I thought - finally - if I spend enough time here I am sure to find a cheap beauty (?). I found two - Book of Flotation and Pathways Through Space by Franklin Woolfe. Ad they were $40 bucks each! (NOT cheap - they should have been $15 max). I went to the counter, and sure enough, amongst the mess, the old fella was on Abebooks, checking every single one out! Yet he was storing them in the worst, shabbiest way ever!

By the by, a book shop in NZ that I buy stuff from - Brews n' Browse Books has a first of Charles Tart's "Altered States of Consciousness" for $15US and also a 1993 edition of "Invisible Landscapes" for $10 US or so, if anyone is interested PM me.

Hope the house hunting is going great Prier!

Edited by SikkimRex

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but in post #7 Torsten mentioned that PIHKAL is prohibited. Funnily enough I just bought a copy from a local bookshop about an hour ago. Could someone please clarify if I have done something naughty and should contact the seller for a refund, or is it ok to own these days? Happy to edit my post if the mods feel it necessary, but I didnt realise it was banned until checking it just now.

Torsten: TIHKAL appears to be unclassified still, but PIHKAL is 'RC' (refused classification), which means it is illegal to sell, buy, import or possess.

Any help is much appreciated.

Glad you digged this thread up.

I saw a 2nd hand novel of 'American Psycho' for sale in the weekend which is apparently banned in Queensland.

Though I can soooorta understand some incredible extreme books being banned, it just amazes me Australia is that conservative.

Archive Books in Brisbane is rip off central, they don't seem to be charging the lower end of whats listed on Abebooks either.

Abebooks effectively ended it for the bargain hunters!