The Corroboree
mescalito

To XP or not to XP?

Hey all, I'm considering moving up to XP and would like to hear other peoples XPeriences :P and opinions.

Currently I'm running win 98SE and everything seems to work alright but I wouldn't mind doing a fresh install either with the existing 98SE or upgrade to XP 'cause I feel that the HDD needs a fresh start.

I'm wondering whether if I upgrade if my peripherals and sound card etc are going to be a problem ie.drivers?

The main things I'm concerned about are my SB Audigy platinum and my Roland ED PC-300 keyboard as I'm finally gunna pull my finger out and start orchestrating some of my works in progress.

Anything else I should know?

I don't want to spend half a day doing the XP thing only to find I'm spending another half a day putting 98 back :wink: ?

Taa in advance

Make sure all your hardware is supported in XP before you upgrade, I know lots of people who have upgraded older systems only to find the driver for so and so bit of hardware (usually printer or similar) won't install.

I run XP and it's fine for my SB Audigy2 Plat. I would expect it to be fine for Audigy1 as well. I like XP. I used to run 95 and then 98, and XP is phenomenally more stable than either.

Ok thanks, so what about backwards compatibilitly for existing programs like Cubasis A/V etc?

I'll do a search in the meantime and see what I can find.

Thanks again.

whats your rig like? whats the cpu, and how much ram do you have? 256Mb is bare minimum, even thats painful on slow machines (pIII's)

when i had a pIII i found the performance drop from 98 to XP was unbareable.

MSI P4 mainboard 14G HDD with Celeron P3 equivalent chip and 256Mb memory.

Maybe I should stay wit da 98SE after a clean start and spend the day downloading the windows updates??

MSI P4 mainboard 14G HDD with Celeron P3 equivalent chip and 256Mb memory.

Maybe I should stay wit da 98SE after a clean start and spend the day downloading the windows updates??

thats what i'd do with those specs. alternativly, 256 Mb of ram for a pIII is quite cheap from memory. that can help, but it sounds like you want to make music. those specs are great for win98 but i found when i updated my pIII to XP even fruity started skipping with just a few plug ins in it. its damn annoying opening a track that worked perfectly before and now pops and clicks...

you can always install XP, see if you like it, and if not go back to 98. but personally i would stick with 98.

also my xp install (just \windows) is 2.4gigs but thats after 3 years of running. so if space is a premium, i'd seriously think about staying with 98.

Thanks I think I'll just shave the head,give her a port and polish and stick with the original block :wink:

Thanks for the advice :)

Yeah, definitely stay away from XP with that CPU unless you've got at least 512mb RAM.

BTW, if you dodn't already have them, and you don't have an ASIO soundcard, get the ASIO for all drivers from the net for free... they work great as a budget solution.

LOL Benz!

Yeah thanks for the info guys I'm gunna stick with the 98SE.

Chilli-I have all the ASIO drivers for the hardware etc so all should be good.I just need to spend some time learning how to use the orchestration software...I'm a bit of a touchy feely musician rather than a technical one.I tend to play by ear rather than sit down and read music(which I can).If someone could show me physically how everything worked with the software then I'd be off!!

So much music goes thru my head sometimes that it drives me crazy...someone once told me I was a musical savante and I'm starting to see the connection ^_^

I've got only amd athlon xp 2000 (1.67GHz) and 256MB RAM. I found that when I went up to win xp, most things IMPROVED. As for tracks skipping in fruity, I just changed the soundcard latency in fruityloops options, and that cured that. With my Audigy2, it was still unnoticable latency when playing from a keyboard. Still, I did that change with little knowledge, and it's possibly only luck that things worked out better for me. Maybe you should just stick with 98 if you are happy with it.

I've got only amd athlon xp 2000 (1.67GHz) and 256MB RAM. I found that when I went up to win xp, most things IMPROVED. As for tracks skipping in fruity, I just changed the soundcard latency in fruityloops options, and that cured that. With my Audigy2, it was still unnoticable latency when playing from a keyboard. Still, I did that change with little knowledge, and it's possibly only luck that things worked out better for me. Maybe you should just stick with 98 if you are happy with it.

athalon xp 2000 = pentium 4, 1.something gig. thats 1 level higher than mesc's pc :)

xp runs great on athalons :)