The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
planthelper

hoodia grafting

hoodia pup on stapelia graft.

only four days old, too early to shout success, but i will update.

post-70-1138597536_thumb.jpg

100_0275.JPG

100_0275.JPG

I'm likin' this new "photo enabled" planthelper :wink:

Good luck!

i had the cam for a while but i somehow was afraid of trying the uploads (the old forum was tricky to upload)

prepare for a manic phase of my photos.

but i do have a question, which i proly work out myselfe to a degree once i hit the reply button to this post...

how to watermark my photos? i got only paintshop. please easy step by step guidance, otherwise the horse will bolt and shy away, metaphoricly speaking.

and, ahem... how is your new job apoth, settling in ok?

Settled in awesome my friend, the job is nice, and I have a prospect of a very good (even better) job coming up within the week, as well as a little contracting to keep me busy, so I feel a lot better about the whole situation than I did a month ago.

As for watermarking photos, I remember there is a good howto on overgrow, I will find you the link once I get home today.

Torstens watermarks are simple, but work well, he might be able to explain it better than me anyway :wink:

maybe, but now it's too late for that anyway.

i once applied pressure by wrong means of rubberbands on hoodia and she hated it...

another time i did even worse, i used peruvianus spikes to fix her, rofl.

well those where my first attempts, when i could not seperate the shit from clay, refering to succulent grafts.

i thought of panty hose aswell, but than decided to do nothing as such as with this methode it's very tricky to assure perfect aligement, aswell as technicly fixing the bottom part ot the panty hose...

if i find that it doesn't work without pressure than i will in future just place a washer on top of the scion!!

washers come in different sizes, fitting all instances! several washers might be piled up to create maximum downward pressure without hurting the graft!!

this planthelper moment was brought to you by planthelper productions TM, lol.

:rolleyes:

by the looks of that size graft i normally use rocks balanced ontop. washers would be better :)

I don't watermark. I just put a copyright tag on the pics in a spot where they are inconvenient to cut out :P

The thing is, I don't mind my pics being used for non-commercial purposes as long as they are somewhat credited. Even for commercial purposes I usually give permission, but only to ethnical operators. Watermarking is really only useful if you want to protect your pic from unauthorised use and if you want to follow this up with legal action.

wow planthelper, nice graft!! I've been trying to graft some hoodias for the last few days. Can you tell me, did you use humidity for this graft, and how many days?? Didn't the hoodia fall off without applying any pressures such as washers? And if I have just planted some rootless cuttings of Stapelia (Medusa variety) how many weeks/months should I let the Stapelias grow for until I graft to them??

let the stapelias root for 6weeks or so before grafting.

humidyfing chamber is used for 7 days.

no downward pressure was used, but next time i might use a few washers.

so you guys are using the stapelia because its roots are more water resistant yeah? cos you know cuttings are damn hard, and seed is tricky cos of pollination tek

yes, I noticed at Herbalistics they said they had grafted but hadn't had any growth success yet. My hoodia grafted to a Stapelia (medusa variety) hasn't really grown over the last few months. :(

Why do you guys even want to graft hoodia? Give them heat + a big pot and they grow pretty damn fast on their own. I mean I realise grafting stuff is fun and all, is that the main purpose behind the exercise?

Thanks Zeewerp was going to say the same

p/helper - you are in hoodia heaven. ok maybe not. townsville is hoodia heaven

even mine grow fast

if they produce seed anything like the volume stapelia does then thats teh fastest way

i got successful grafts on stapelia gigantea

but then the bloody stock rotted!

unlike lophs its a legal import soi i reckon just keep scouring for seed and at the sam etime growing yor own

they are not hard at all from seed

large seed, great seedling vigour

just that they have at least a 4 to 5 year lag before flowering

i lost a few hoodias, due to a rot which spreads very fast thru the whole plant.

they allways started rotting from the base, maybe the grafting will help against this.

i grafted, so to have more hoodias, simple as that! with grafting one can take off a small pup (or a tip) and get an additional specimen. without grafting a small pup or tip can't be probagated, because hoodia cuttings need a certain size to strike successfully and aswell are a very tricky cutting.

one of my two grafts is dormant, the other one is growing, i'll post an update photo tomorrow.

yes, easy from seed, but somehow very slow at the beginning.

here is an update.

post-70-1143771191_thumb.jpg

100_0335.JPG

100_0335.JPG

here's a pic of my hoodia graft. By the way does anyone know what kind of Stapelia species this is??:

image0044jt.th.jpg

dimage0012ih.th.jpg

I found what looks like a native Hoya in the forest here

giant leaves

maybe H oligotricha?

so can hoyas be used for stocks?

here's a pic of my hoodia graft. By the way does anyone know what kind of Stapelia species this is??:

Not a stapelia. I think it is a Huernia species.

Good to see it works.

are u serious?? Arghh! I bought it from Ebay sold as a Stapelia 'medusas cactus'. I think you may be right though (after looking at pics on google image search of Huernia)

Edited by SaBReT00tH

OMG sabretooth just got a hernia!

breathe,relax.

Edited by Rev

LOL

:P

Should work fine though. It is in the Asclepiadacae family. I'm guessing that is the predetermining factor for compatibility of stock to scion.