The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Ibogaine MAOI activity?

Found this reference in a couple of spots, am working on obtaining the paper (thankyou helpful CSIRO librarians).

Barras, B.C. and Coult, D.B. 1972. Effects of some centrally-acting drugs on caeruloplasmin.

Barrass, B.C. and Coult (1972) demonstrated that ibogaine inhibits the oxidation of serotonin by a monoamine oxidase (MAO), ceruloplasmin, and catalyzes the oxidation of catecholamines by the same substrate.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr...972&btnG=Search

Can we talk about this?

I am getting really interested in Ibogaine.

no that was a false information, which still circulates everywhere arround.

iboga is not a maoi.

Ya ph, it's likely that it is not a MAOI like harmine, but I believe lots of psychedelics have some MAOI activity, I think LSD has the same effect on serotonin oxidation as Ibogaine, and I read this bit from Ott recently too:

Remember, the simple, short-acting tryptamines are themselves MAOI, albeit far weaker than harmine and harmaline in this regard. The reported enhancements of psilocybian effects by concomitant administration of ß-carbolines suggests that even psilocine, with its dramatic oral activity, is a significant substrate for gastric MAO, as this synergy, if it is borne out scientifically, yet to be done, would almost certainly be due to inhibition of gastric MAO, as all evidence suggests that in the brain, the MAOI [at least in the case of ß-carbolines, probably via a general inhibitory effect at the GABAA receptor combined with competitive inhibition of tryptamine-binding at 5-HT receptor subtypes]; including the artificial, medicinal agents like iproniazid, etc., markedly inhibits effects of DMT and its cogeners, not to mention LSD [vide my article in MAPS VI(3): 32-35, 1996 for references and the new edition of Ayahuasca Analogues for a discussion of this phenomenon; vide item: The Heffter Review 1: 65-77, 1998; recall also that cerebral MAO is found inside nerve-terminals, not in synapses].

Anyway, that's the kind of thing I was looking for discussion on, how most of the "strong" stuff seems to ilicit a MAOI response and what the point of it is and so on.

ups, i bloody thought it said yohimbe!

:blush:

hmm, and i admit that although i could have got away with it...

it's just that soo often there where posts saying yohimbe is a maoi.

i heard the same of eileen (proly other cacti aswell) and accacias, i mean that they contain some maoi's...

Mmm thats another interesting topic, acacia maoi.

I remember when I met Recher he told me he was working on a betacarboline containing Acacia.

Daniel asked me about the existence of a drug that increases catecholamine metabolism today. The idea being to combine this with a serotonin building regime for immediate rebalancing in cases of anxiety etc. I was unaware that ibogaine fits the bill - thank you for pointing it out.

As for Ott's insistence that intestinal MAO is responsible for the majority of the tryptamine losses, there are a few things that simply don't make sense in his hypothesis.

1) assuming a MAOI has been ingested 30mins prior, a dose of DMT when ingested on a not-empty stomach will start to be absorbed and produce effects within 10-30 minutes, which is well below the stomach emptying time and hence one has to assume that DMT is absorbed at least to some degree in the stomach - long before it hits the MAO rich intestines.

2) assuming a MAOI has been ingested 30mins prior, a dose of DMT when entering the body via a means other than the GI will still produce the expected effects.

Given these two related issues, I fail to see how intestinal MAO can be responsible the way Ott describes. Obviously Ott has some compelling arguments, such as the observations he has made with injected MAOI and combinations of ingested MAOI with injected tryptamines etc, but they are not sufficient in my mind to fully support his hypothesis when the limitations are taken into consideration.

Daniel asked me about the existence of a drug that increases catecholamine metabolism today. The idea being to combine this with a serotonin building regime for immediate rebalancing in cases of anxiety etc. I was unaware that ibogaine fits the bill - thank you for pointing it out.

I was searching keywords today after coming up with the original reference, and catecholamine was one of them.

I came back to a different section of the same paper, and it says LSD does the same catecholamine oxidase stuff (as to be expected, so do a few other related alkaloids). It doesn't really say which one does it better, which you probably knew, but just in case :wink:

I also remember reading you saying somewhere recently about brain MAOI vs intestinal MAOI stuff, and I personally have no idea, but the thought occurs to me that it could be both?

Found this reference in a couple of spots, am working on obtaining the paper (thankyou helpful CSIRO librarians).

Barras, B.C. and Coult, D.B. 1972. Effects of some centrally-acting drugs on caeruloplasmin.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&am...amp;btnG=Search

Can we talk about this?

I am getting really interested in Ibogaine.

Heya all'

Iboga is a powerul SSRI' having no Maoi properties

Bliss

Nobunoni +

think your following something interesting here.......

noticed there are a few papers mentioned here over the years that mention addiction or withdrawl and go into mao effects.

t s t .