The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
complex

Datura ID

Hey guys,

I think I may have found some datura, but I just want to make sure.

here are the pictures:

podvisible18rf.th.jpgdatfence16wn.th.jpgsmalldat16it.th.jpg

I did follow the guide on erowid, however I feel its better to be safe than sorry.

thanks!

(jeeze I hope its datura, or I will be making quite the fool of myself :P)

Making a fool of yourself isn't that bad, at least you learn something from it....one time I posted a photo of a random backyard plant thinking it was a Calea :P

Those are some nice Datura though :wink:, do you mind posting photos of the flowers when they unfurl?

(if I had to hazard a guess I'd say stramonium)

You would be making a fool of yourself if you didn't get a 100% id. Nice work man, not my thing but enjoy :)

I'd say stramonium for sure, if it's stem wasn't purple. It's definately a stramonium variant, the seed pod and leaf shape of them is telltale ( to me at leats anyway i liv wiht hundreds of them a few other varieties).

This purple leaved one i have seen growin around my place twice before in amongst all the others, looked axactly like the ones youve showed, the same deep purple stem and leaf shape but the flowers were plain white. So my best guess is it's D. Stramonium v. tatula if it gets a white flower with a purple middle or the purpling might just be from sunlight exposure and you mihgt have a plain white flower but i aint sure.

Been riding the train to work and seeing this strange looking plant along the railway line here and there. Saw the post this morning and thought ah ha its datura :P. Its hard to get a good look but the stems look a more redish then purple? with all those funky looking leafs, alot of the plants were very bare. I spotted a huge row of them in one area, will have to go back when they flower :)

Datura stramonium var tatula

Thanks for the ID guys, I really appreciate it.

apothecary - Its a 40 minute trip from where I reside, though if I happen to be there when they are flowering I will get a picture :)

Chriscore you should have rubbed the leaves and sniffed your fingers...you'll never forget that tell tale smell :wink:

Chriscore you should have rubbed the leaves and sniffed your fingers...you'll never forget that tell tale smell :wink:

Your not wrong mesc ohh the smell :puke: