The Corroboree
ballzac

Can I grow Morning Glory up my lemon tree?

Knowing very little about horticulture and the way plants interact with each other, I design my garden mainly on how I want it to look. This can be a bit of a trial and error process. Before I kill my lemon tree by doing something that I think will look nice, I thought I'd better ask you guys about it. Can I put a heavenly blue and a pearly gates at the bottom of my lemon tree and let them climb it? Will they strangle it? Will they even manage to survive in the soil around the lemon tree? Can I still piss on my lemon tree? I am happy to spend time almost every day pruning it back to keep it at bay if I have to. Thanks. :)

Absolutely. If your willing to prune her there shouldn't be a problem. Mg is pretty much a weed and will grow VERY easily even if your going give a lil bit of nature back to it...watch for when it sets and drops seeds though, you'll spend more time pulling out the babies then pruning it back..it grows very quickly and very easily...

hmmmm..... I'd like to differentiate a bit here...

WILD morning glory is a weed here in Queensland

it's called "Ipomoea indica" and I've never had a backyard in Queensland where the shit wasn't already present when I moved in...

Ipomoea indica is absolutely useless for ethnobotanists, because it never sets seed, at least in Queensland, it just grows like a weed here and wants to strangle everything...

there are reports that a wine made from the flowers can be psychoactive but I cannot confirm that...

now the morning glories we grow for their seeds are quite a different story:

They have to be pampered to get going, most varieties only grow into a small vine, set flowers, then seeds, and then die, since they are not perrenial like i. indica is here in Queensland.

The "nice" morning glories like for example ipomoea purpurea,, i. violacea and similar hardly ever become a weedproblem.

I can imagine that in a perfect environment they probably could but not around here...

I grow a variety a ipomoeas at my place, of course including i. violacea tstantra strain), brasilian morning glory which looks very pretty and ornamental, different from others, also rivea corymbosa which originated in mexico and is traditionally used there ethnobotanically...

Morning glory seeds contain lsas, which are slightly similar to LSD.

A FOAF said that 60-100 seeds, crushed up and soaked in water for several hours then drunk will give you a light "trip" somewhat comparable to LSD but really much more on the tranquilizer side.

If the test subject ingests this juice and then lies down, it's likely s(he) will go to sleep.

there's no real danger of "freaking out".

FOAF said that's what he likes about morning glories.

The I.violacea are not very vigorous plants, so they are unlikely to choke anything like an established lemon tree. Chances are you will barely see the vine in the tree, so they might make a good combination.

If you plant two strains of the same species your seed will be of mixed genetics. It is always more desirable to keep your two MG strains at least 100m apart or grow them in alternating years.

Plant the MG near the drip line of the tree. Tie a piece of twine to a branch just above the MG and tie the other end to a peg in the ground near the MG. Leave a lot of slack in case the wind blows the branch a lot. The MG will then grow up the twine and into the tree (assuming this is small enough). The MG's roots will be where the lemon tree roots are not too dense. Fertilise this spot very well with manure, and keep you peeing to the opposite side of the MG.

The I.violacea are not very vigorous plants, so they are unlikely to choke anything like an established lemon tree. Chances are you will barely see the vine in the tree, so they might make a good combination.

If you plant two strains of the same species your seed will be of mixed genetics. It is always more desirable to keep your two MG strains at least 100m apart or grow them in alternating years.

Plant the MG near the drip line of the tree. Tie a piece of twine to a branch just above the MG and tie the other end to a peg in the ground near the MG. Leave a lot of slack in case the wind blows the branch a lot. The MG will then grow up the twine and into the tree (assuming this is small enough). The MG's roots will be where the lemon tree roots are not too dense. Fertilise this spot very well with manure, and keep you peeing to the opposite side of the MG.

Thanks. That's exactly what I'll do. As for mixed genetics, I am growing heavenly blue and pearly gates in the same spot, so this will be a problem. Is there any way to tell if the seeds are of mixed varieties before they are grown?

I've been trying to grow 6 vigorous vines up an ugly metal post on the carport and it was more interested in trying to climb itself and formed a matted mess.

I wrapped the post in chicken-wire,painstakingly untangled the leaders,threaded them as high as I could and she's taking off nicely B)

ps. they spiral anti-clockwise if you need to train them