The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

My trich ain't pupping??

My original base stock(2-3 ft, tip removed) that I used for cuttings is rooted into the floor of my green house and there is no way to get it out without causing lots of damage to both cacti and greenhouse(It's really deep rooted). It's rooted in just a white coarse quarts and sand floor. First year it pupped fine.... I removed the pup and have been awaiting another, but there doesn't appear to be any signs of a pup! I've started watering regularly with thrive and it's really, REALLY! turgid now, but still doesn't want to pup.

I'm gona break it up into 3 or four more plants this winter, leaving only a short stem rooted into my greenhouse floor, but I still wanted/expected another pup this summer.

Also I reakon it looks cool when they branch and pup from mid stem and especially from the base.

How on earth do u induce it to pup from the base???????

Thanks again all

Naja

:ph34r:

They tend to just pup from the base when they get mature enough. Mine usually do it at a height of 2-3 feet though sometimes taller, sometimes shorter. I've had one 10cm tall pedro pup from its base.

If the cactus is healthy it should produce another one from the top, just give it time.

Try watering with Seasol, that might give it a kick-a-long but it just seems to happen sometimes, I've got a macro with no tip that's just sitting doing squat as well.

Piss on it

full strength

the extra N and plant growth promoters will make it pup and make it more bitterer ;)....

Yep wot Rev said or miracle grow full strength...but piss comes cheaper LOL

edit:like your cacti I'm also deep rooted and sometimes it takes someone to piss on me before I start to branch out ;-)

Yep wot Rev said or miracle grow full strength...but piss comes cheaper LOL

So can you use full strength Miracle Grow on trichs? I have been tempted, because I've had great results with other cacti in the past, but I've only heard of people using dilute mixtures, usually half-strength.

When I say full strength I mean mixed at the full strength ration on the pack, but only as a fert to induce pups not for everyday feeding.

When I say full strength I mean mixed at the full strength ration on the pack, but only as a fert to induce pups not for everyday feeding.

LOL yeah I wasn't thinking of sprinkling the crystals on my cacti...

OK, so full strength doses occasionally is OK then? The rest of the time, what would you recommend for mature plants... half strength? How regularly?

Personally, I use 20-20-20 half strength every two weeks during the growing season. This past summer, all of my cacti pupped within the same 3 day period, which was right after I fertilized them.

Heh,... have a T. Pachanoii that is approx 3 meters tall & no sideshoots yes. I am going to try pissing :D