The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
wandjina

I dream of genus

I often dream of plants. some familiar, some unfamiliar. Some I meet later, some I wonder if I'll ever encounter. Well I keep dreaming about these massive columnar cacti (now don't go all freudian on me please :wink: )...they're like telegraph poles. Do such cacti exist? In the dream I know they're special, and spend a great deal of time trying to secure a cutting.

Then there was the dream where i stumbled upon Joh Bjelke Petersen in an unkempt cemetary overrun with unusual tropical plants, also opuntia and echinopsis...he was cutting back some pedro's and happily gave me the lot! Weird.

I've heard that many ethnobots dream about plants...and sometimes run into them coincidentally later, including plants never seen before the dream. I.e. dream = foreknowledge of a special or significant plant. What about fantastical plants...can you describe them? I sometimes get unusual flowers and foliage, or 'chimera' plants with unlikely anatomies.

Has this happened to you? What's the weirdest, or most interesting, plant dream you've had? The oddest person/animal etc that has appeared in a plant dream?

I do occassionally dream of ethnobotanical plants, but even stranger, I find that they 'call' to me alot during my waking hours.

A good example; the other day I was driving home from work. Same 1 hour drive I've made twice a day, for the past 2 years.

For no reason whatsoever, I felt I had to look left, while driving at 80km an hour past misc. bushland. I looked left for no longer than 2 seconds, and lo, what doth mine eyes see? A Datura species of some sorts. In flower and covered in spiky seedpods, that are only just developing.

So, I pulled over and removed this terrible, poisonous weed. :wink:

This is not the first time I have had a plant 'call to me'. I originally got into ethnobotany because the Morning Glory that you see everywhere(Ipomoea Indica) seemed to just be attracting me for some reason. So, I looked into what this plant was, and discovered it had cousins with a history of thousands of years of medicinal use.

So, I don't know what it is, but we humans defenitely have some connection with all these medicinal plants.

Whether it is just something in our genes, due to thousands of years of plant use, or purely natural and normal for animals like us, I don't know?

I've often dreamt of mushrooms, does that apply? Variations in size, sometimes head high ones! :D

Weirdest dream: I was at a Coles service deli and they were selling big mushrooms looking a bit like lactarius deliciosus but a golden brown, caramelly sorta colour and blue stains, they were selling em by the kilo like meat :) That was a nice fantasy where you can go to your local grocery store and buy some fresh slabs of a weird hybrid edible / "poisonous" ;) mushroom

Well, I can't recall any dreams specifically about plants, but I did have a strange and rather vivid dream just a few weeks ago that I will relate.

In this dream I was on Earth sometime in the future, and I was at a giant space station that was actually on Earth, but it was like an airport for travelling through the galaxy.

A little while later, I was outside some kind of prison, and I was painting it green. There was a voice speaking to me telling me that the king (apparently the whole earth was under a monarch), was cruel and he would lock me away without any human contact for transgressing his laws.

I turned around to see who was speaking to me, and saw the figure of a man on a pedestal, like a statue, except it was talking to me. Anyway, I didn't really look at his face, but I started painting him green also, he had robes around his waist, and I distinctly remember the green paint flowing over the folds.

The next scene, this character had come down from being a statue, and was taking me on a boat along a beautiful river surrounded by mountains. At this time, I could see his whole body, and he was broad and bare chested, middle aged but still sprightly with greyish curly hair and sparkling eyes. What was most remarkable was that he had mossy vegetation draped over his shoulders and torso, in multiple shades of green. For some reason, I was singing "green man form the south, shine your light on me."

The dream continued on with various other scenarios involving this green man, but I won't bore you with any more details here.

I woke up feeling quite disturbed, and the dream seemed significant in a way that only a few of my dreams ever had. Well, I had this green man character stuck in my head for the next few days, so I decided to do a search for green man on the internet, and lo... there are all sorts of theories about some kind of arcehtypal figure known as the green man who has appeared in various guises over millenia. Some have speculated that he is an archetype of our oneness with nature... hence, my reason for posting this here.

I do not consciously recall ever having heard of the green man before, although the term had a vague familiarity about it... Almost a feeling of deja vu.

Bizarre :blink:

OK, so looks like I basically killed this thread with my wacko dream...

I've had heaps of dreams containing plants, mainly to do with cacti. One of the last one's I remember distinctly had myself in the city and I’d just purchased a whole lot of Trichs, heaps I’d never heard of or seen before this dream. :P just after I’d gotten the cacti, Melbourne seemed too have been under attack by terrorists or something.

what I noticed that was bizarre is that all I could think about was the fact I was never going to see these cacti grow (as I thought I was doomed) and the thought of my death didn't faze me at all.

I guess I'm just obsessed. :)