The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
medicinedan

Rooting, pupping? or disease?

I should leave my cacti alone, but I couldnt help but check on it. That dark looking blister thing is getting bigger, it is very dry and hard. I have the same things happening on some other trich cuttings that are still yet to root. Is this a tap root trying to break out, a pup or some freaky disease?

gallery_1044_3_18108.jpg

gallery_1044_3_25972.jpg

That looks like it is in very poor health to me, do you give her much air flow? Doubt it is a pup as pups form from the areoles, and im sure that roots form from the core....i would cut off the bottom section and try to callouse her again, wait for anothers opinion though...

Dunno but it doesn't look good.

I'd slice it off and start again,unless the black stuff is bark or something from placing in situ?? either way it looks like she hasn't been kept dry.

I guess you know by now but it's best to callous them well in a dry place like a cupboard or even a cake airer before placing them onto soil/sand.

The roots are supposed to look like...well roots.

DOH! EDIT:good on ya Dodie ;-)

also roots can come from anywhere even an aereole halfway along the cactus remember gravity and auxins and all that ;-)

Best of luck mate.

Thats not too good :( Looks like you have high a high fungal count in your drying area that has caused many types of molds and infections. Recut 10-25mm off, then brush or powder the fresh end with sulphur dust to seal and protect the end. Really have to keep the length dry for at least two weeks for quick and clean callus.

All the best...

BD.

aargh,,,,, the cutting has been completely dry for at least 3 months... by the way all the other crap on there is bits of sand and little rocks.... It looks all ok Xcept for the wierd ass black, blistery, wart, thingo. It does feel barkish, woody, sort of?

I've never seen anything remotely like it and it's even weirder that it's hard.

Cut it of for science's sake and tell us what it is. :wink:

I always think some sun is the best thing for cuttings as long as it isn't too strong.

I think I'd call in the hazmat team buddy.

It might be full of spiders!!!!

:wink: