The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

ID Please

Bought this one about halfway through winter this year, quite twisted and even more etiolated at the tip than it is now because it had been in the shade for god knows how long.

gallery_861_3_120203.jpg

gallery_861_3_104360.jpg

gallery_861_3_55090.jpg

It's in a rediculously tiny pot, but I didn't dare touch it until it had finished flowering for fear of shocking it and missing out on this sight ;)

What is it?

Has anyone else seen a columnar cacti flower at such a short height before?

EDIT: Oh man, the spiderweb on this baby isn't the only one in my garden, all my cacti seem to have sprouted arachno protection forcefields!

It looks like what I would call a T. spachianus...although it has slightly longer spines that my T. spachianus and I'm not sure of what kind of flowers they are meant to have. Not to mention I've never properly 'keyed out' what I call my T.spachianus, but it just looks identical to a lot of pics I've seen so loosely categorised it as that.

There's probably other things it could be, or it could be a hybrid of some description. But I'm pretty sure it is a Trichocereus of some description.

Its a really nice cactus either way - what an interesting flower, it looks velvety. And the way it is angled down makes it seem like it must be designed for some very specific type of pollinator.

You can see my 'T. spachianus' to the left of the foremost cactus in this pic:

post-906-1130240967_thumb.jpg

PS I don't think it looks etoliated, all of those types of trich are naturally much thinner than the 'San pedro' types.

Fairly sure you've got yourself a Borzicactus there, samaipatanus maybe?

It'll keep branching from the base and won't get any fatter than that.

Beautiful flowers!

Mmmhmm, spiders love cacti.

Zee, first photo, green pot is a T. spachianus ;)

Thanks strangebrew, checking out some pics I reckon you might be right :)

Aah yes...well clearly I am way off. Should have known by that un-characteristic lookin' flower that it probably wasn't trich. But its spination and those v-notches above each areole do give it a kind of trich-ish look to it.

holy shit, you found a borzi. treat it well, they look so amazing when they put like 10 of those flowers out at once.

I AM JEALOUS :worship:

It looks like my cactus at home, that i call a T. Huascha. But, mine has never flowered.

But, I'm no cactician. :D

Looks to be Cleistocactus samaipantanus. An older synonym was Borzicactus samaipantanus. Anderson doesn't recognize Borzicactus.

~Michael~

Dude, you’re so pas se. :blink:

~Michael~

holy shit, you found a borzi. treat it well, they look so amazing when they put like 10 of those flowers out at once.

I AM JEALOUS :worship:

Is 4 enough? :P