The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

New EBA?

Hi folks,

I must apologise for the recent downtime the site has been experiencing.

The forum software that is being used has been hacked once again.

However this time there doesn't seem to be any updates for it being

released on the software's website, and I just don't have the time

right now to try to locate the problem and patch the software myself.

I am totally sick of the constant problems with this particular software

and so is my web host, at whose request the site had to be taken down.

The nature of the hack is such that it affects the entire server that

this site is located on.

I have recieved one or two offers to move the site to another server

however this would not solve the underlying problem. I'd like to switch

to some other software, however most forum software is moderately expensive,

so I'm still looking around for other open source projects that are up

to the task.

In the meantime, you should all be able to find each other at

Shaman-Australis

I will try to get the site back ASAP, and in the meantime I'll try to

put some kind of software up on the site that can be used by you all to

contact each other.

You've all stood by me, and I'm damned if I'm going to let some pathetic

hacker take your site away from you.

However with my final exams in 3 weeks, they've picked a very poor time

to do this to us, so we might just have to sit tight for a bit longer.

Once again - my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.

thanks,

eccles

I was working today on a new community forum to replace EBA, and trying to think of a name I decided to visit the old EBA one and see if anything had changed.

There's now the above message from eccles to you all.

Here's the deal. I've got a community forum running at

http://www.herbix.cuodan.net/eba

It took me a while to get going actually, the software is good (not as featured as SABs new software, but still quite nice), is running on a fairly secure box, on a fast connection.

The software is open source, and has a good converter for converting phpBB -> SMF.

Here is my proposal. People can use this community forum at least until eccles puts EBA back online. If that doesn't happen, then I am happy to spend a little money on a domain like www.eba.net.au (or similar) and spend a little time modifying the theme to that green colour we all love, know, and miss.

So at the moment this is an intemediary solution that can easily be implemented as a proper solution. That is to say, for now, I'm willing to host the forum until things are a bit more certain, and at that point if people want to stay on I will invest some time and money into making it more comfy and giving it a better hostname.

Comments?

EDIT: Uh yeah, if in the worst case scenario eccles can't put the site back up we should be able to recover all that information into the new site using the converter (as long as he has a backup of his database).

Sounds like your the man for the job , if anyone is up to it it would have to be you ! By the way it is ironic that today it came back on line. I say go ahead and work with eccles that way we may be able to keep the old girl alive , it would be a shame to have to set up a new 'nude' forum when there was so much info at EBA .

it is ironic that today it came back on line

Bah. I hate it when things like this happen. Makes me not want to try to do anything! :P

Well i just took the new forum for a spin ,see my post for my thouhgts. But a big slap on the back to you apo for showing the initiative and having the motivation to make it happen.

:D :D :D

Well i just took the new forum for a spin ,see my post for my thouhgts. But a big slap on the back to you apo for showing the initiative and having the motivation to make it happen.

:D :D :D

Definitely. Good work, and you never know, it still might be required..

You're like a can of worms you are..I never really know what to expect!

Good job mate.

I'd like to talk to you more on a wiki or open source idea I have to help out another community that is just so hard to navigate regarding health matters.

As I said last night Basic is as far as I got ;)

I tried signing up before and got an error message saying something about not being able to insert data into table or something along those lines :(

i had mentioned this in my blog since the SAB forum update.

funny that it has coincided with EBA being down and all.

i had in the past purchased a domain/web space, recently i installed a gallery/bb system (invision) for use as a public, 'ethnobotanical based conservation community' or along these lines anyway. predominantly based on natives (oz) but with allowance for exotics too.

apothecary: im not sure how much bandwidth your server allows you?

but the package i have currently has around 2+gb storage (atm) and approx 60gb bandwidth usage/p month, which should be sufficient. always capable of expanding if need be.

so yeah basically i'm just letting ppl know. i originally toyed with the idea of using it for my own personal ethnobotanical pursuits, but that would just be silly really. Of course i may end up being the only one that actually makes use of it :) but as i said i have decided it will be available for public use, hence the bb software and a public gallery. all would/will be free to use.

mind you i should point out i'm not doing this because i think SAB or EBA are insufficient for this, nor is this any form of proposal to replace either one, at all, but i can't see the harm in another online forum based ethnobotanical conservation community either.

conservation is key, community too :)

should release the URL soon...

take care.

Bolwarra, the computer that the forum is hosted on is definitely not some "hosting package" it is a full fledged freebsd box sitting in a colo in San Jose.

That particular box has both unlimited data transfer, unlimited hard drive space on a 155mbit pipe. It is my box.

If you would like some indication of what kind of box it is, the server running it also runs a service called dynup.net which processes about 5.4GB of DNS requests a day. If that means nothing to you, consider that an average DNS request is possibly about 50 bytes of plain text.

Apoth- [/b]Makes me not want to try to do anything!

i'm pretty sure you don't mean that. you have rapidly become an industrious & well loved member ov this community, & i'm sure we all appreciate the work you do behind the scenes here.

i haven't got the time to check, but i'm sure you've done your usual great job.

love your work geezer.

keep on keeping on. :worship: