The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Toyota creates air-purifying shrub

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getart...b20051007a8.htm

NAGOYA (Kyodo) Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday it has developed a new species of shrub that absorbs harmful substances in the air.

The Kirsch Pink, related to the Cherry Sage shrub, will be sold for 380 yen each by Toyota Roof Garden Co., a Toyota Motor subsidiary, beginning next March.

First-year sales are targeted at 10,000 plants.

The Kirsch Pink is the same as the Cherry Sage, absorbing nitrogen oxide, sulfur dioxide and other air pollutants, but the new shrub is 1.3 times more effective, the automaker said.

The new plant, which bears pink flowers between May and November, also diminishes the urban heat-island effect 1.3 times more than the Cherry Sage, it said.

That's pretty cool! Or is it?

Anyone got a negative opinion of this?

I want one! Or at least a Cherry Sage, anyone know where either of these can be had?

EDIT:

Cherry Sage is Salvia greggii doesn't look too difficult to get.

maybe this is a good idea in the mean time, but what about changing cars to be environmentaly friendly, not changing the environment to clean up after cars.

1.3 times as efficient is not really record breaking. I mean, all you need to do is select a strain that has slightly larger leaves and you have your 30% increase in efficiency. Sounds like a scam.

T, I am assuming the S. greggii is already pretty good at what it does so 30% efficiency increase on top of that is pretty decent.

Of course that's just an assumption.

We have S. greggi in the nursery. have to check if it's in the webstore too.