The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

decriminalization, does it mean shit?

As far as I am aware Absinth is technically illegal(W.A.), it is decriminalized as of a few years ago. It is illegal on two fronts. It is not only hallusonagenic, but over the legal limit for alcohol strength. BUT I can go down to my local bottle shop and buy it(it's not displayed well, behinds the counter amongst the tiny bottles) I only noticed it by it's colour, you couldn't even read the label from that far away.

Now if it is just decriminalized in W.A. and so is pot. Why can't they also sell bags of weed or atleast this may be an argument if you got caught dealing. Both you and the bottle shop are commiting the exact same crime, just with a different drug! Whats the deal here???

Is this just government hypocracy, as it appears to be?

Absinthe in Oz doesn't have a very high thujone content. Not really enough to be considered hallucingenic. Plus the alcohol content of the popular brand on the front of the bottle is something like 55% but under the label (if you look through behind the bottle) its more like 65% or something similar. So yeah, its still sorta illegal in the strength issue, but then again its alcohol right, its harmless remember :P

The stuff at our bottle shop is 74% 148proof.

It's fully imported and looks to me to be the real stuff, I don't know about the thujone content and at $90 a bottle, along with the reported shit taste, I'm not gonna buy it myself to try. I'll try n cpon 1 of my mates to buy it or go me halves so I can test the thujone content.

I reakon sum1 could set up a pot stall at the local markets and aslong as they paid tax and declaired their profits. Should be able to argue this(with a good lawer) quite effectively(in theory) in practice, I think it would it would be quite different, but I think this is a good case of double standards and perceived public acceptance.

seeing as pernod was one of the original makers (depending on which history you subscribe to) i'd go for pernod "original receipie" absinthe. I got a bottle of it and when mixed 1:5 with water the green fairy comes out (its beautiful to see) and sipping it reveals several flavours. yum yum.

other absinthe's that i've tried dont mix properly with water, which just doesnt happen if its the real deal.

Now if it is just decriminalized in W.A. and so is pot. Why can't they also sell bags of weed or atleast this may be an argument if you got caught dealing. Both you and the bottle shop are commiting the exact same crime, just with a different drug! Whats the deal here???

It is all a matter of tax. the gove can tax grog but weed is not legal so it cant tax it. absinth sits on the border, its a grog so the gov can tax it, hence its sale, but it contains a banned substance so they try to control it.

its not legal them doing so but because it is grog they can get away with it.

Is this just government hypocracy, as it appears to be?

yes, it is.

:crux:

Absinthe in Oz doesn't have a very high thujone content. Not really enough to be considered hallucingenic.

I was under the impression that thujone is not resposible for the active effects of Absinthe

was under the impression that thujone is not resposible for the active effects of Absinthe

Thujone is psychoactive, but the olden-days Absinthe used to be coloured with heavy metals, and other goodies.

So, some have theorised that perhaps it was all the toxins in Absinthe creating the intoxication. But, this is a regularly debated point, so, who knows?

And, when you're drunk, it gets hard to pin-point what is caused by the Thujone, and what is just drunkeness. :)

I didnt think thujone was illegal. It has to be under a certain percentage in food products and cannot be sold as a food i don't think, but it isn't illegal if it's not claimed for ingestion. I may be wrong but i think I remmber Torsten telling me this when i was asking about the thujone content in sage.

The stuff at our bottle shop is 74% 148proof.

It's fully imported and looks to me to be the real stuff, I don't know about the thujone content and at $90 a bottle, along with the reported shit taste, I'm not gonna buy it myself to try. I'll try n cpon 1 of my mates to buy it or go me halves so I can test the thujone content.

have a look at the bottle. you dont want to buy absinth that is coloured artificially, they are cheap nasty imitations. if it says under ingredients colouring E102-E131 or E102-E133 (or something along those lines) look for another absinth. those absinths taste nasty, dont louche properly and wont give you any chance at understanding what its all about.

chech out www.feeverte.net for more info