The Corroboree
Panaeolus

bluemeanies around bribane ?

Check out this site for detailed info on Australian mushroom species, including growing conditions, substrates, etc.

" Does any one can tell me how long it take for they grow after the rain "

Grammar???????????????????

I'm not exactly sure, but there is an animated gif on erowid showing the growth of cubensis.

They acheive a harvestable size in about 30 hours.

i wonder how many people are going to run into each other on the paddocks in the next couple of days??

i know 'my spot' is usually covered in more shroomers than shrooms :blink:

damn city living :D

YEESSS!!!!!!!! Here's the rain....its pissing down!! :P See ya out there fellow shroomers! ;)

Hey Guys (and Gals),

Hoping to get in on the Meanie hunting in the next few weeks. Just a quick question: are these things native to Queensland? I mean, is there any point in searching areas virtually untouched by shroomers or civilians in general?

I'll be spending an unwholesome amount of time in local fields carefully ninjaing

( :ph34r: ) my way past the guardian bulls (scary scary beasts), I think.

Sorry if this post is a little unreadable, english isn't my first language, it's getting 'late', and I've had to read a lot of Virginia Woolf today.

It's raining outside now... come on little mushrooms, you can do it.

NP

NeuroPharmer: If you look in some of the posts in this thread, you'll see some links to pages about Shrooms and Shroom picking... there you will find the answer to your question :P

It's going to be crowded out there...

If it rains across a wide area - just drive further out the city, avoid the crowds and get to know Daisy...

Meanies and cubes are not native to australia, let alone QLD - however it would be interesting to know the dynamics of how spores were originally and subsequently dispersed. There's info out there covering australias early stock purchases and where they came from but over successive generations I wonder what the main factor for distribution is locally. I.e: wind, cattle/animals, humans?? I guess what Im trying to ask is are dung varieties of mushroom likely to be found generally anywhere there is stock/manured soil so long as the environmental conditions and location are right - or are they found only where spore distribution takes them (within the required environmental locale)??? For example is it possible for the banks of the brisbane river to have healthy populations, but 100km away near Beaudesert none at all, despite a suitable ecological context? Not saying they are or are not at these locations - simply an example.

I would have thought spores, being so small could cover a pretty large area via winds and continously joining farmlands?

Also wonder how much the mushrooms have come to rely upon human picking over time - whether this has any notable difference/influence on their success.

Did anyone get out today?

How did you go?

We drove about 300km but didn't find anything apart from one identified paneolous species, definitely not cyanescens.

What went wrong? :blush::unsure:

Yep, I went out for the day too... I didn't find ANYTHING!! :angry::huh:

Yeah so what went wrong? Are we too early?

I was even walking around in 2 cow and 1 horse enclosure, nothing yet... although I saw something in a cow pattie that looked like something mycological happening so since its pissing down again right now, ill be heading out tomorrow again... and maybe monday arvo/evening. :ph34r:

The only decent paddock i know of in my area is across the road from a police station :rolleyes: ahwell i'll have to go for a mission one day to find some other places...

patience, friends! the mycelial network is spreading as we wait. as soon as this rain stops and the humidity is returning, then we must hunt!

good luck

Yep, I went to my main patch 2 days ago but there was absolutely zilch. not even any mycelium on the upturned cow pats I saw about the place (fuckn vandals!) that means there are some other early birds out there scouting my zone.. grrr. has to be expected with it being so close to a school.

In my opinion, the ground was still way to dry and there hasn't been enough sun yet. plus its really cooled down again now, at least in my area anyway, I think it would be wetter and warmer up in Brizzy tho.

In general I usually wait for a good soaking rain, then go out the morning after the next warm sunny day.

We got some good, soaking rain last night and some more on the way, so if you wait until there has been a couple of nice warm, sunny days then there should be some mushrooms about..

I look forward to getting some wild Psilocybe prints to look at under my scope along with other interesting fungi.

LOl

you dont grow a crop with one storm

time

humidity

warmth and followup rains are needed

remmebr that spores need to hatch then grow then sporulate to build up densities

if you find the odd cube now itll be from a colony that overwintered

i know u r keen but i wouldnt even bother going out

not only are pickings thin but a shroom in the paddock is doing its thing increasing sporeloa for later in the season

If its a wet year youll be busy january to april anyway!

hey brisbanites,

sorry for the late tip off but i picked another 2 hands full of cubensis on saturday - photo should be added tonight ;) . there were many old sunburned ones, and also many signs of another generation soon to come (perhaps today?).

the fungus is everywhere, i definately reckon it's worth your trouble hunting, just try early so the sun doesn't get the shrooms first!

peace,

ajna

Good stuff Ajna!

I tried again without luck on Saturday.

I found hundreds of other mushrooms in my favourite paddock though. Some really interesting ones too.

Not asking for the location but what general area do you go looking in?

We have been frequenting the north west outer suburbs.

Do meanies (copes, pans) have a similar growing season to cubies in australia? About what time in the late summer/autumn do these species start declining in numbers?

cheers

let's say northside of the kedron brook, that would be my zone at the moment.

will be out behind samford for the weekend though, will keep an eye out - these storms just keep comin :)

let's say northside of the kedron brook, that would be my zone at the moment.

will be out behind samford for the weekend though, will keep an eye out - these storms just keep comin :)

I think I know exactly where you mean. If I am thinking of the same place as the one you are its a pretty risky place to go picking!

We usually like to go around Samford but haven't had much luck this season, yet.

That's a really risky paddock that one.

It seems like that's the most famous paddock in brisbane, so you get lots of first timers come up to you start chatting, asking you how many you've collected and what's a good amount to use, showing you their mushrooms, and asking if they're the good ones etc.

Problem there is, what if they're a cop?, you've incriminated yourself big time. Ok so most mushroom pickers that look like 16yo's aren't cops but still. Other problem is the huge main road, and I've wondered to myself how many times the farmer has called the police to get people off his land and away from his cows, and if it is on a daily basis after rain (this time of the year), would the police bother with a big sting operation one day, and would that day be the day I was there?!!!

I think mushrooms are too mainstream these days to risk a paddock like that. When I was at school it was just 'hippies' that collected mushrooms, but now it's everyone.

unless i missed it in the above posts, as a former bris-vegas resident, i offer a clue:

chip manufacturer

on another note, it's been pretty humid in syd of late...anyone had a gander?

unless i missed it in the above posts, as a former bris-vegas resident, i offer a clue:

chip manufacturer

on another note, it's been pretty humid in syd of late...anyone had a gander?

haha i know exactly where u mean, im sure of it..

Is there also a pub near by?

Sum tiny goldies where spotted there recently.