The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Marram grass anyone

anyone live near an infestation?

its a coatl dune stabilising species tha would be common on the SE coast and SA as well as Tassie

250px-Helmgras_kijkduin_februari_2005.JPG

Try Andrew he's over that way Rev.

I've seen it around batemans' bay years ago so down that way would prolly be the go.

sand dunes round here have it, if not then a very similar species. stockton sand dunes, they planted a shitload to stop the dunes from drifting/eroding into the ocean.

is there any other use for the plant?

I hope no-one here goes harvesting plants from sand dunes. That would be a great way to speed up erosion!

no fear

i have no plans to harvest any marram grass

my interest lies in its ecology in situ

being the mycology forum its obviosuly fungally related

Hi Rev

As mesc said,I live across the road from a beach that was planted out with marram and spinefex,planted heaps of it myself when I was a coucil gardener.What do you want to do?

Substrate

We have fields of Phalaris which make for high grade straw substrate. And I have personaly used our local "beach" grass also. Myc seems to like the large hollow stems to grow in ;)

WR

post-1223-1128353770_thumb.jpg

Phalaris and elk crap, third flush

Nice one Whiterasta!

Rev:

my interest lies in its ecology in situ

ok so not for substrate...hmm does something grow in symbiosis with the roots or off the seed heads?

Ps azurescens loves beach grass.... lol... and is a thriving part of the northern coastal dunes in the pnw

Besides interests of it in situ, it's probably worth the effort for people living around areas where it's establishing heavy populations, to contact their local conservation teams or do some volunteer work when they are removing it for being an invasive weed in coastal areas, disrupting the ecology of the area and restricting the biodiversity that's supposed to be there at the time.

Couldn't hurt to give the local team a call and asking them when or if they plan to do marram grass removal.

Not sure how they remove this, but if slashing before poisoning or something to reduce biomass whilst maintaining root structure, there would be a decent amount of grass to be had.

You'd probably be able to get a substantial amount of the grass on a single day if you are informed of the management plans for certain times of the year. All you'd need is a single day of planned removal, then take the grass off their hands (if they allow it), dry it out and put it in a big bin for storage.

Have been trying to find out some more info lately, most hits i've been getting is with the species Ammophila areneria which is a North african / European species if memory is correct that is present in Australian Coastal areas.

Phalaris and elk crap, third flush

Nice flush whiterasta - you live in the PNW?