The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Cyjack

Amanita ID?

These were found on the fertile grounds of a local highschool this morning..

Amanita.jpg

Are these edible? And if so, is there a sufficient dosage here? Cheers -

Looks like a variety of Amanita muscaria but i can't be sure, i'm not an Amanita expert. I would NOT suggest you eat them. Alot of amanitas are toxic and you could end up very sick at the least.

those are definately Amanita muscaria, only edible if you're a viking. but heaps of recreational users eat them too look up dosage and preparation on erowid.org

if not prepared correctly there can be toxic side effects

From the information I read on Erowid, I gather I have an Amanita Muscaria, var Muscaria, and a couple of Amanita Muscaria, var Fermosa.. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Otherwise, THIS seems to tell me that one medium cap is enough for a first timer. Once more I assume that either of the larger ones pictured is a 'medium cap'. How am I doing so far? I dont mean to nag, but I want to be as sure as possible with Amanitas. :)

[ 04. August 2005, 06:51: Message edited by: r. Jackson ]

yum

i know nothing of prep teks but i know when they are done right they re a tasty snack like jerky

just dont hoe in too deep nibble

some people smoke them, esp the skin. i havent

Whats the story with the white 'warts' on them? So the whole thing can be munched away on without complication? Some of the reading I have done suggests that the plant material should be avoided and instead, the whole mushroom can be heated enough to encourage the psychoactive liquid to be released - ready for gel caps or other such consumption...

One of these has been given to an SAB regular - I wonder if he will report on his experience? :)

The reason the haeting is done is to decarboxylate the ibotenic acid and make it into muscimole the good stuff. Ibotenic acid is wot makes you feel all sickly and bad like. But of course no one sould consume coz thats illegal adn would bring down the wrath of the police.

A friend of mine who lives in an enlightend country where the taking of such species is tolerated had asked me something.

A specimen, very similar to the ones posted by Cyjack, was washed in cold water to remove any dirt derbis. It was then lightly patted dry with a towel(it actually put orange stuff all over it). The specimen was then left overnight on a shelf to slowly dry. The gils were left facing upward. It was found today that the edges of the gills had darkened significantly and gone a brown colour, quite different to the familiar white.

Has anyone noticed this before? My friend had only had dried specimens before and is pretty sure(not 100% though) that the gills were white. What could this be an indication of?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Do ya think they're just faded or could they be Pantherinas?

Panther caps have higher ibotenic acid content so be careful.

Rev

quote:

i know nothing of prep teks but i know when they are done right they re a tasty snack like jerky

I reckon I might know who prepared this Jerky apparently vinegar is used in the cooking/drying to aid in decarboxylation..or so I'm told.

[ 05. August 2005, 10:04: Message edited by: mescalito ]

Here is a cool site on the Amanita I was trying to find to post last year some time.

about 4 times the ibotenic acid content of muscaria I think.

hold on there...

lets be clear that A pantherina is NOT a deathcap

deathcap is A phalloides

this is found in australia. started in canverra but may have moved out.

fungimap is plotting this

A pantherina is in fact used by some people. it is more toxic as i think i read it has much more muscarine (versus muscimol which is the good stuff)

can anyone else confirm that?

heres something i found by MS smith on erowid :)

http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=16074

Hey Rev long time no talk.I didn't notice the allusion to death cap sorry.

Yeah the panthers have a higher ibotenic acid content from what I've read and a docco on witchcraft I saw recently.

There's also mention of them being used on the link I posted above.

Rev:

lets be clear that A pantherina is NOT a deathcap

deathcap is A phalloides

sorry. my bad

I remmeber reading about someone eating a pantherina, it was alot more intense than muscaria. If it has 4 x the ibotenic acid the it would be much more potent, just cook slowly in an oven 4 an 1h or so this truns the ibotenic acid 2 muscimol like i sed above so much stronger shroomy. :P

i would say however (from my limited knowledge i dmit)

that that is not pantherina but is actually just the yellow form of A muscaria

we ahve them here ranging from siberian red, through orange and into the yellows too.

never heard of pantherina here yet tho

ergoamide:

just cook slowly in an oven 4 an 1h or so this truns the ibotenic acid 2 muscimol like i sed above so much stronger shroomy.   :P  

This cooking business has me :confused:

If one were to place amanitas (like the ones above) into the oven, would one wait untill the husk is dry enough to break apart in the hands? Or is there a more subtle event one should look out for - like when the damned awefull shroom smell dissapates throughout the entire house?

Somehow, eating/drinking something that is red with white spots turns my stomach abit... or at least it would if I were contemplating the act...

The Fly Agaric taste quite nice :)

It's the magics that taste like shit

Fortunately, smoking dried material also has interesting effects. This eliminates the need for it to spend too long on the taste buds or stomach. :)

@Cyjack-someone once told me they are normally sprayed with a light acid, like vinegar in a hand-mister and placed on a tray in the oven @ about 60-80 deg C,gills facing up to hold the 'soup' as they cook.Smells bad and the goo goes everywhere but apparently makes for a good jerky texture and flavour.

Although I wouldn't advise trying it for many reasons esp the legal ones.

Thanks for that Mescalito - I didnt see that response earlier!

Forgive my ignorance, as I dont spend all that much time on this planet, but what is jerky? Do you mean you chew on them?

I had a dream once, where some elves told me that dried Amanita was Mary's best friend... not sure what that meant..