The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
incognito

subs cold tolerance

ive had a search about and found little info,,will p.subs tolerate cold??it barely gets above 12 degrees here at the moment,,was wondering if they would grow,,not that id grow them mind u.....ive tried the shroomery and found very little info,,

thanks for any help offered,

jono

most places they come from they dont fruit till you get periods at least below 12c

but what your minimum? i think they dont fruit when its really cold but thats just based on O/s reports

it gets to 5 below at night,maybee colder,,but maybee substrate could be brought inside over night avoiding the below zeros??whats ur thoughts?

i read subs are real hard to grow.

any truth in this?

and damn jono that avatar is fuc*n freaky :P

Subs most definatly do tolerate cold, they are a late autumn and winter mushroom primarily, and if you look at their wild distribution, you can see that they much prefer the colder areas of Australia. (melb, S.A etc)

If you are getting those kind of temps, there may well be some subs growing near you. Or if not, you could spawn a patch and then there would be :D ...

...only if it were legal :)

for informative purposes only,does anyone know of some good teks,info/links for growing subs????

im so keen to know!!!!!!!

thanks again peeps

jono

that link is as usual with anno's pages- excellent

Subs love cold, and generally only fruit after a good cold spell.

As for growing, they're definitely on species better left to the experts.

Outdoor beds are doable if the climate is suitable, but that would generally mean that they grow wild in the area anyway.

I've read of a few people fruiting them from print to substrate with success, but only a few.

ed

well doesnt that suck reshroom!!!!!!!

swim might just have a go anyway-4 kicks and giggles!

well fok me,,there are subs comin up around here everywhere ,seems alotta peeps here mulch with chipped eucalypt,,found a bunch at a retirement villa i help out ,,see what happens when u open ur eyes,,post some pics when they have developed!!

Well bugger me

i dont think subs would be any harder than other species so long as its done outdoors

dont get put off studying these beasties

so far as low tek goes its easier than teh subtropicals as the mycelium is perrennial and can be transplanted into new beds whereas the subtropicals are ephemeral species

Subs are easy to cultivate. Even easier if you just transport colonise wood chips from a local patch to the one you want to procure. (is that a word?)

Best way for mine is to get a nasty spore print - streak the bastard on ten plates of Dutchie's Milo agar, chuck the contams, transfer the others to h202 agar. Grow out the rhizos, with subs many will actually pin on agar (which demonstrates they are more vigourous than azures and cyans)

The next thing to consider is that subs love aussie hardwoods - they dont like american hard woods - whereas american woodlovers like their hardwoods and not ours.

Best bet is to go down to a landscape garden and just grab a bunhc of the leaf litter and wood chips - eucalypta chips, pine chips even bloody rose clippings (i fruited once on this)

Make up some small jars of these woodchips, moist verm and a teaspoon of BRF and pressure cook.

Then add a sector of agar to these jars in a glove box.

Once colonised, just add to larger jars of more woodchips and moist verm - until eventually youve got a large bag - say two litres or so.

Make a bed - following Anno's bed design - which he ripped from some other older guy - and then they will fruit like mad in June.

From experience, fruit as many different isolates as you can - its a very wild species, so isolate performance is very varied. Anything from one abort to a large foot area of fruiting should occur.

And vic subs are more potent than azures! trust me!

they love the cold too - your area would be ideal. They dont deal well with high altitude but otherwise they seem hardy and prefer the cold

LOL.

I could have worded it better.

Meant to say that outdoors is within an amateur's reach, but in-vitro is not.

quote:

Best way for mine is to get a nasty spore print - streak the bastard on ten plates of Dutchie's Milo agar, chuck the contams, transfer the others to h202 agar

And you call that "easy" :)

Actually I've heard of people dumping a heap of shrooms in a bucket of water and pouring on a likely spot in the garden with reasonable results.

What is Dutchie's Milo recipe ?

One I got from a post of yours was "2/3 of a teaspoon of milo and about a teaspoon and a half at most of agar"

ed

[ 20. June 2005, 19:45: Message edited by: reshroomED ]

EDIT: :unsure:

Edited by karode13