The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Manisobsolete

WA season

I don't know, a few hundred odd subs might take a while to eat,(who brought the red wine and black pepper steak?) and you might remain in cheech and chong land for an scary length of time.

Hi boss, yea I cant come in to work this week cause everything is still in cartoon land and I forgot my golf shoes

There's been some good rain but I think it's not really cold enough yet... haven't had any real frosty nights yet...

Has anyone checked out collie (wellington state F) or manjimup? Also areas down through pemberton and walpole augusta look pretty sweet

these places seem prime

if the shrooms arent there already they should be

follow the blackwood river

[ 06. May 2005, 10:15: Message edited by: Rev ]

G'day all, I'm completely new to this board. I have reproduced animals and plants and now maybe the other form of life we have//// fungi!never done fungi b4!

im in the south west, planning to try and get/make a spore print from a sub,marine.

Is it still a good time of year or am I too late? I always seem to remember them from school holidays. Its been 6 years since i seen a sub, but im wasn't looking and im in the wrong town.

I've only ever seen them a few hours post bruising. How long from inflicting damage should you expect to see blue bruising on the, cap,stem etc? ......30sec? 5 min? or longer?

naja naja, my advice is check out funky fungus (not completely up yet) www.funkyfungus.com and start yourself off by growing out some oysters and refine your technique from there. Once you've got contamination issues etc down move on to more complicated mushrooms. Oysters are very forgiving and are a fantastic learning tool to get into mushroom growing. Definately get into running agar plates etc, it'll be the most usefull tool you'll use in the future. Bought myc syringe is cool but soon enough you need to start making bulk stock and getting more hands on. Frustrating at times but lots of fun.

Got a pressure cooker yet??? maybe an autoclave? hehe mmmm drool

Na no preassure cooker yet(im lookin second hand). Got an awesome professional glove box though.still gotta set up the tararium and buy a humidifier. I've only eaten button mushrooms and don't find them anything special, ill eat them but wouldn't use them as an ingredient myself. Can u recommend and possibly describe the taste of some others( ie noki, oyster, shittake, blewitt)And with all seriousness I actually do like the taste of subs, people reakon there gross but I actually enjoy their flavour.

naja naja:

still gotta set up the tararium and buy a humidifier

It really depends on what you want to grow, but unless you're planning a very large production run the terrarium can be kept humid enough with just some moist perlite on the bottom. You may find temperature is an issue for many species at this time of year unless you have some kind of incubator set up.

yeah, no worries on that.

Already got heat pads and thermostats from eeer oregano and brewing beer.Getting it cold enough will be more of a problem im predicting. Also in beer brewing u sterilize everything with bottle washing powder (S5 poison)active ingredients are alkaline salts 900-100g/Kg. what do use reakon about this product. Probably not as big a problem with contams in brewing though, cause yeast is so fierce!

ok stop mukkin about head south along the blackwood river the opposite side of the south west highway as jayes road, u get to pine forrest i mean a massive commercial jobbie there are logging machines the works and a cow feild low in the valley still in balingup have a look in the long grass they are there and around writes bridge nannup sub zero temps commercial pine foreess ok no more clues get your eyes to the ground, but jayes is good if u are smart and not a lazy bugger go when it is freezing get a pick and be creative with the entry point cos it it is a misssion finding em in the other spots cos the grass is so long and if u are worried about aprehension eat them as you pick them and enjoy some very nice countryside.

Hey dudes, i just registred on this board, and have recently moved to W.A from bay of plenty new zealand. The conditions down here in denmark resemble the conditions in the bay of plenty where we got psi. Azurescens (sp?) in large quantities. Called them goldies though maybe W.A have a different idea of goldies. Anyway, anyone know if the special fungi grow around the denmark/albany area? anyone around here can get in contact with me and we can cover ground if it looks hopefull, they are worth having :D

Greetings,

Went for an early season walk last week around Ballingup after hearing things had started up after the huge rains from a week or so ago and confirmed the rumors were true...

:D

Such an interesting ecosystem, so nice empty, before every man and his dog tramples the place and draws the fuzz...

Around Marri systems subs had fruited to and become very large from the big rain in the hills, the ferns and bracken systems there were not as yet fruiting beyond the old prioneer, nor were the really grassy areas, though regular spots semi grassed were on as were proven pine locals which had started up...

In the valleys only sighting in the pines without grass or semigrassed which were already proven, plenty about, evidence of several generations of fruit, lots of older more insect damaged rotting ones along with decent examples from the big rains and plenty more fresh offerings from more subsequent rains...

From what I can gather word of the season is not very wide as yet, so get in early before the rush...

[ 16. May 2005, 04:49: Message edited by: aniMAL ]

Hello all, im stocked i stumbled acorss this forum.

For those fellow balingup enthusiasts im sure you all know Sen Costable Croucher, he busted us last yr so the cop threat is very real. We wernt even in the main jays rd area either, we drove down the balingup-nannap road bout 20-30mins out of balingup and came across a dirt loggin rd and drove along this for bout 10mins until we were in the middle of woop woop. We parked the car and then went for a walk amgousnt the pines, we spoted quite a few shrooms but none that we were lookin for

About 20mins into our search we hear the sound of cop sirens and a megaphone "COME DOWN TO THE CAR".

We shat ourselves and came up with an excuse being we were lookin for a suitable spot to camp followin the visit to the manjimup motorcross. Anyhow we got to the car and Crocher had a large milo tin filled with leaf, which he had got from our car, one of the idiots decided to bring his mother load down from perth. The fool then owened up to it, dun ask me why and was fined and given a criminal record, we did not have any mushies so did not get busted for that just told to leave the forrest area. I did however notice in his boot 4 bags of mushrooms so im guessin he had previously busted 4 other ppl for collecting.

If you do not consider yourself a very cunning person i would not be going collectin durin the prime times at ballingup. Not unless u lived in the town and knew what was going on. All the same i live for my mushrooms each yr and i dont care what the risk i must have them so i shall be down there agian at my lil spot of bout 10m's squared.

My friends go down to the main grassed area right off jayes road and they reakon they walk around with bout 12 other random ppl collectin them, that just sounds too risky but they havent been caught yet.

All the best

Micky J

ps. stumbled across this article tonight (donnybrook news)

, that is croucher in the pic for those of you who dont know him, hes a real prick so dont expect him to give u a warnin if u own up or be nice, its totally black or white for him so careful what u do, trust nobody, search all areas, the mushies are out there....

So when exactly do the cops go there? Cause there is no local police station, any police would have to come from other areas! Do they come down on mass and saturate the area like they do in tall timbers(searching a large area and presenting a police presence?) Surely this would be too expensive! So they must just be bored cops from other(bigger) towns. Do they set up road blocks or just go searching for parked cars in the pines? Are they in proper cop cars or undercover/4x4? Also never go back to a verbal megaphone request unless they can see you. Just pretend your out of ear shot, then wait them out if your worried but you could just dump em and walk out innocentely, just say you were having a look around, there's no real trees in perth.Then thank them for notifying you it's mushroom season and proceed on your way. or They'll have to go home for dinner eventually..No cop is gona hang arround after dark to catch a possible shroomer

P.S. The farmers can see you parked and picking from jayes and they don't much like us lbm lovers. They will complain to the cops and then they know to come down.Walk u slackers! Also I noticed alot of litter when I was there, so if your out there leave only your footprints please.

From that article:

quote:

Ostrowski said he had never tried the mushrooms before and that was why he had picked them.

This earned a stern rebuke from Mr Wilson regarding the
potentially lethal side effects of consuming the drug
, not only for himself but for others if he performed tasks like driving while under the influence.

Right. Not like alcohol then?

naja naja:

So when exactly do the cops go there? Cause there is no local police station, any police would have to come from other areas!

I think the closest police station is Donnybrook.

quote:

P.S. The farmers can see you parked and picking from jayes and they don't much like us lbm lovers.

If you park on Jayes Rd itself you are asking for it IMO. Also, you are endangering others who may have made more effort to be discreet.

[ 18. May 2005, 03:44: Message edited by: creach ]

the police will be either in a pair in a patrol car or randomly in a group of 6 (i have encountered) legally bushwalking, they wear khaki uniforms that i imagine would allow an element of surprise if someone was silly enuff to eat funny mushrooms :) if u need to cross jayes road to get your car or travel down jayes road for any reason u are vulnerable to being searched.

"Williams was stopped by police in Ferndale Forest at 4.14pm on June 20 with 147 grams of mushrooms" there we go ferndale forrest thanks mr plod :)

[ 19. May 2005, 10:31: Message edited by: YoWiE ]

What times have ppl most frequently encountered them? Prolly be pretty safe early mornin as the sun just come up, they still be in bed or waitin for thier wives to deep fry thier dognuts hey....

when u see the temps hit zero minimums thats when to go :) if i were a policeman i wouldnt chase hippies when it is that cold :) and not many pickers will be getting out of bed either :)

I don't honestly think the mushrooms care what time of day it is, its not like they up and die before lunch. I have seen a spot where the mushrooms were fairly large and mature and must have been at least 4 to 5 days old.

I would love to try commando style with night vision goggles at 1am :D

What would be the situation if you were on your own land picking mushrooms. Could you ask the police to leave your property or are they obliged to arrest you if they think you are picking the magic gear?

Should be a good season this year with all that volume of early rain, but I still think its a few weeks away yet.

I always thought Denmark would be a great place to cultivate some shrooms in the garden bed woodpiles but I have never seen any there.

Yeh i have a feeling hte conditions here would be fine. Went out hunting 2 days in a row, found alot of unidentifible shrooms in the bush. Its just being lucky enough to stumble upon a patch i suppose.

Fenris:

I always thought Denmark would be a great place to cultivate some shrooms in the garden bed woodpiles but I have never seen any there.

Its only a matter of time

actually no

its been done several times by several individuals

its just a matter of time i should say before its being done by many

u just need a few committed myco-anarchists and dash of science

I (had a dream) that I went to Jayes Rd last weekend. Absolutely nothing. Hardly any fungi (only the huge sloppy brown/orange spongey fungi, and the usual small common down south non-actives)at all, and it was way too warm. Very little mist in the morning, and still around 10 degrees at night or higher.

There had been plenty of rain, even before the storms.

I also checked out other known spots in Balingup, neighbouring areas, and also a couple of spots between Balingup and Nannup. Nothing.

I encountered one other picker around the Jayes Rd main valley, and he had found nothing also.... No litter around, not even many tracks...

Animal, what day did you go? And where exactly in the main site did you get lucky? I spent a good 60 mins searching this area in this dream, and even had a friend and radios to cover more ground..

We checked in pines, and grassed areas near the river, native veg. I am really surprised that you found so much, and evidence of previous growth. Nice one....

Has anyone vere tried a coordinated pick with some watchers with mobile phones?

I think you could have 3 or 4 people at crucial intersections, cop spotting and ringing it in to the pickers. Call through the all clear or you have 5 min to GTF out of there we have an incoming.

Not that I would condone anything illegal mind you.