The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
william longsholong

would anyone happen to know what speices would be in my area

hello everybody how it is

im a new member here nice to meet yous all

i was wondering if anyone has come throught or lives around the central coast area and could possible tell me what kind of hallusonagenic mushrooms might grow around the central coast

its not for me its for a fiend of a friend he wants to study there growth habbits he said he wont be injesting them or anything

oh and what seasons they would be growing if they did grow

he said hes been looking around after the rain and stuff but he doesnt know if he should be looking in the grass or woody ground or what

I dont like people bad mouthing other people about spelling and punctuation. mine is terrible! its not like we are entering an essay writing contest.

William:

I believe there are cubensis mushrooms in your area and they grow on cow shit BUT if going to study its recomended that you have an experienced mycofile to help you ID any mushrooms as missidentification is easy and dont ingest at all. Also there is a number of resources availible online if you do a google

here is a starter one

Blue Meanies

On a side note, there are much more interesting mushrooms than the psilocybes in my opinion.

nabraxas:

you could probably find this info by looking around abit, not that you shouldn't ask, but i doubt that many who know(which doesn't include me) will reply to your post because the spelling & lack ov punctuation make you sound like a teenager.

)

Yes this is true.

Hmm well no I’m not a teenager the reason my spelling and punctuation are crappy is because I could not really be bothered to go back and edit out spelling mistakes or missed grammar but if nobody will help me because of it I will put the effort in is this better.

I am not looking for information on identifying mushrooms; I was after information as to whether

Copelandia cyanescens

Psilocybe australiana

Psilocybe eucalypta

Psilocybe makarorae

Psilocybe semilanceata

Psilocybe tasmaniana

Psilocybe aucklandii

Psilocybe subaeruginosa

These species grow in my area, as I know they grow in Australia but I am not sure as to whether they grow in my area of NSW if they are found in NSW at all.

I have read much information and have a guide to identifying them as well as a friend who is experienced in the field but am not sure where I should be looking for them.

Copelandia cyanescens - On Cattle Dung Anywhere from the Northern Territory down to Central-Southern Coastal New South Wales. During Spring to Summer After Substantial Rain

[Psilocybe australiana, eucalypta and subaeruginosa ] Woodchips and Mulch From New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia From Late Autumn to Early Spring>?>??

Psilocybe makarorae - Dont know... New Zealand ??

Psilocybe semilanceata - Not often Discovered and Documented. Not prevalent?

U forgot Psilocybe cubensis...

Well ok so the most info anyone has is NSW in general so I’m guessing that they’d grow in most places of NSW where the environmental conditions are right?

Would substantial rain be at least a whole days rain or what?

Yeah I just realized I left it out when I looked at my post today, does anyone know regions and season’s cubensis grows in?

I just woke up to a very cloudy day with fairly hard rain so I’m going to have a look around.

I have been checking this cow field that has bushy areas that come down from a hill and meet with the grass, there’s heaps of dead leaves, sticks etc under the trees and the grass is about 1 foot high with cow patties everywhere, the grass bit is about 50m wide then it meets with salt water will this effect growth?

How’s this type of area sound to you guys?

what do you call central coast?

i believe the midnorth coast of NSW is an interesting area of overlap where you will find the big 3

Ps cubensis, Pan cyanescens and Ps subaeruginosa

starting with the summer wet season with pan cyanesecens and as it goes on more cubensis

then in autumn when the nights get chilly youll get P subs in the forests

well its very hard to be that specific. Just look for all 3 and if u dont fidn them you dont find them. also substainstial rain is enough rain to egt ground soaked. ie if its been dry and pours usually rain just runs off top

you want about 3 solid days of rain

Ok after it rained all yesterday and last night I went out for a look early this morning about 7 all the grass and stuff was wet still like really dewy and shit, when down flipping cow shits and stuff but had no luck at all didn’t even spot any thing that looks like mycelium had I pretty big look but still nothing so I was thinking could the fact that there is an estuary near by would the saltwater be killing them or just stopping them from growing or something?

I was down in Byron for new years on the weekend and meet a guy who had some fresh cubies so I was thinking it is the right season for them isn’t it?

But I had no luck at all so should I keep checking there after rain or try somewhere else?

Keep looking. Sometimes they take a while to reveal themselves. You don't need to flip the cow pats over, they grow out of the top of them.

Flipping the shit can indicate whether there has been any mycelial activity...any good field at a time like this even if they are dry you should be able to break the turds open and see mycelial networks dried up

In the wet these reestablish and produce mushrooms..

I'd think that the salt wouldn't worry them too much so long as it's not raining saltwater

In fact some gnomes have used salt to treat infections on cakes with no probs.

I'm seriously considering taking a trip to the highlands(which is not far from the south coast)in sub-season this year and If all goes well I'll put up a post for interested parties 'cause I know where they grow plus there's many ammies and edibles as well :D

Put the turds back where they came from!

an upturned pie will dry out and die in the sun

its like leaving small fry to die on the bank - not a sustainable fishing practice

Ive found that the best way is to find a very fresh and sloppy cow terd - often a particularly stinky one is best - and then place your hand in this terd and feel around for a moment, then gently lift your soggy hand out and try a small morcel of poo - if it tastes mushroomy then your on the right track... :)

Nah seriously - if its hot and humid go look at cow poo - you can often even see mycelia on top of thew shit if its cubensis - pans have much finer mycelia.

When its cold in may and june after rain and the first cold snaps you will find subs up in the hills around Nimbin/Mullimbimby - well atleast Rev and I did anyway.

Damn it seems NSW is the place to be! Cubes Cyans AND Subs! I don't know if any place would beat VIC for their sub season though -judging from harvest pics.

i went looking for mushies in december last year on the central coast and all i could find was mushies that looked identical to death caps, but without a jacket on the stem, so we left them. better safe than sorry.

i have not found anything on the central coast. im prolly not looking in the right place

I when for a hunt yesterday after only a little bit of rain (it was wetter where I was but it was a drive away and wasn’t as wet) I found 1 specimen I believe is a cubensis.

It had a bit of bluing but not much, found on cow dung, stem flared out near the bottom, brownish color but it was old properly from the last bit of rain was a bit worn on the edges and stuff the gills were black and I tried to take a print but not much spores fell and cause the gills and stuff were all old and worn it must have been moving and it wasn’t a clean looking print like pics I have seen it had like thicker lines and parts were it was just solid spore and stuff. The actual gills weren’t hard like there fresh mushrooms I seen they would move around real easy and stuff.

The print looked a bit black so I throw it away but I was wondering if this could be cause by it being an old specimen or is this a different species altogether.

Sorry if this doesn’t make much sense I keep reading it over and over and it doesn’t make sense but it still does cause im fairly pissed at the moment

copelaindia sp have black spore print, grow in dung to. dont know if they grow that far south though. you only found one??? keep looking, go to the places where the cows drink and sleep the majority of the time, this is where the most cow shits are likley. here rain isnt a problem its the amount of rain, heavy down pour every 3 days washes away everything before nething grows

Copelaindia sp? Are they similar to cubensis in size and such? Yeah we searched the entire field found some we thought might be pan cyansecens but no blue at all. Also found lots of tiny pins but I think its still to dry because before this bit of rain we just had was about 3 weeks since last bit so you know the mycelium might not be reawaken or what ever it does.

Um so anyway about my last post does anyone know of a species’ that’s like very close to cubensis but with a darker print or whether they go darker after the mushroom starts to die or something?

coplaindia and pan's are the same (some weird taxonomic difference)