The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
The Dude

subs on pine needles?

ok so im probly going to second valley lookin for some lac deliciosus in the pine forrests with my old man. Just wondering if anyone knows of subs poppin up on pine needles? I'll probably have to catch a bus to Mt Lofty. Is there one that goes to Cleland Consv. park?

yeah definately - they often fruit under pine needles

yep a bus does go to cleland wildlife park. check out the eucalypt litter

[ 14. June 2004, 23:09: Message edited by: Trich-Aura ]

oops

thinkg bout wrong species///

[ 14. June 2004, 19:44: Message edited by: reville ]

Hey everyone! So i went to second valley with my pa and we went huntin in a pine forrest but right next to it was a nice big eucalypt forrest so i sort of got the best of both worlds... i found what looked like subs in the pine forrest but now i doubt they were but i hit the jackpot in the eucalypt. ..well i got a sufficient amount at least, ill upload some pics to make sure its the real deal with u knowledgable fellas.

Yey my brothers and sisters, all is well.

Congradulations El D, success at last.

That big one would still be OK for boiling IMO.

Enjoy!

awesome, looks like you had a successful trip .

I went hunting today and picked 20 or so subs and got absolutley soaked in the process, unfortuantly some other people had been looking as well because heaps of mushrooms had been kicked over or squashed :mad: and beer bottles left lying around.

[ 15. June 2004, 20:59: Message edited by: narayan ]

i fucking hate these guys just looking for a way to get wasted kicking over mushrooms who have no respect for nature! - The great nature that produces these great mushrooms for all of us.

I am also a big fan of other mushrooms and hate to see my milkcaps kicked over!

Just curious, how many times will one spot flush and how long a timeframe will there be subs in South Australia, in Eucalypt OR Pine forrests? Anyone have any idea? I hope i can still find more but these should do me for the time being.

[ 17. June 2004, 00:27: Message edited by: El Duderino ]

Ive collected subs from the same patches many time. When i leave there is no mature ones left. It seems they can be flushed as much times as it rains on the spot. Havent been through a season yet but i think it will end late July or early August. Still heaps of time till then tho

It may just be the lighting but in the pic on the A4 paper there's 3 or 4 shrooms on the left and middle that look a bit out of place the one near the center gills up looks like a deceiver.

so do you have a pic showing attachment to the pine needles?

to prove its not fruiting from twigs and pine cone scales beneath

Id have to see it to believe that needles have enough nutrient reserves to support a shroom

BTW anyone know the trytophan /tryptamine content of Pine or Eucalypts? For subs to be so strong shouldnt it have a good reserve?

Nice lepiota BTW

more often it seems that pine needles are only the casing. close examination often reveals the mycelium attached to dead bracken, blackberry or branches.

well i have no idea if they are fruiting Directly off pine needles my guess is there must be something with more nutrients underneath, my point is that they are growing in pine forrests which to me was a pleasant suprise :D

Anybody think there might be a difference in potency compared to eucalyptus subs? I'm guessing there shouldn't be...

BTW cheers reville :D I thought it was a deathcap (but i'm dumb) ...u think that lepiota is edible? hehe I'm not even going to try...

I really hope i can cultivate the Fly, that would be great!

also Mescal, those were some of the strangest looking subs, some didn't turn blue for a long looong time but eventually they all showed some blueing and all the stems looked identical + they were all from the same patch (+ some others from another patch that i'm 100% sure are subs), so i'm pretty confident they are all subs.

There maye be a new theory but the old theory goes...

Psilocin is fairly unstable and causes a blueing reaction when breaking down

Psilocybin is much more stable

Psilocin rich specimens blue fast and easy

Psilocybin rich, Psilocin poor species show a latent blueing reaction. perhaps as psiolcybin breaks to psilcin then oxidises to the bluing state

Re any wild mushrooms especially lepiotas

dont eat unless you can identify it

Its one thing to take the risk of eating a known species but quite foolish to eat an unidentified mushroom. Your death will also serve no scientific value.

Lepiotas can be delicious. Nutty

but many people have allergic reactions (severe guy cramping, Diaorrhoea etc)

Learn how to ID them firts and i suugest you start with the grassland lepiotas as more is known than the obscure woodland species

Macroleipta konradii is a woodland species considered delicious. Mine were much more brown than yours though

abu.jpg

Macrolepiota procera and M dolichaula are grassland species also delicious but can make some people very ill.

The latter species is very imposing in the cattle pastures up here in Nthn Nw in Autumn and many people mistake it to be deadly

it is not deadly at all but should be tried with care

abv.jpg

M rhachodes is fairly common about the suburbs and gardens and is also yum but can make people very sick

ID them then start small

If you are OK then enjoy the bounty

I cant tell effectively you how to ID here and so recommend wide research