The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
The Dude

Shrooms in SA

Ok so i've asked for locations a few times. Been shroom hunting a few times, with no success so far (that is no success finding those special ones). Monday seems like a good day to go for a hunt. Just asking if any south ozzies have any luck yet? I'd love to find some closeby like Kuitpo, or would i be better off going down to Second Valley or even up in the hills?

[ 16. May 2004, 18:01: Message edited by: El Duderino ]

Im going to check out Mt Lofty next week, we finally have enough rain!

Went over for a look at Kuitpo today, with no luck. Only found a shitload of these brown slimy mushrooms with yellow spongy bottom, and white stems. I don't know what they're called, they're slightly toxic (give really bad diarrhea when not boiled) my mum dries them or puts them in soup.

Also found some tiny purple shrooms but *sigh* no Subs or Fly's (or Cyans either for that matter).

It has been raining pretty intensly today though so hopefully next week will be great! You think i should just head straight for the hills? cuz i have an hilarious feeling i wont find anything here.

Is your family European in heritage El D.? Real mycophiles aren't you. I wouldn't touch those brown things with a barge pole! :D

Yeah, this rain should kick things along nicely. Finally!! :D I think the hills would be the most likely option but keep an eye on the rain reports in the paper.

[ 28. May 2004, 01:35: Message edited by: strangebrew ]

haha yeh we're polish. I don't know what these mushrooms are called in english, but the polish variety is a bit different (non-toxic) and can be eaten fresh or fried even (so im told). My dad and my bro when first picking the australian ones fried them up and they supposedly tasted really delicious then they had Mad-Diahrrea for days!!

I'll try to make my way up to the hills soon. It's been raining all day today and i can still hear it raining outside, im pretty excited :D

Must have been a bad batch of slippery jacks

I eat them all the time when i find them - gotta get them young n firm as they are a bit festy when old- maybe that caused the reaction

Mostly ive eaten Suillus granulatus and Suillus luteus. Not sure if there are more than that in Oz, maybe S grevillei

They are a taxonomically safe mushroom to collect

once its pointed out how to discern

I was shown to use them in place of nameko in japanese cuisine as te slimy texture suits

last time i had them i sliced up and fried up with some wild agaricus on a barbie, some oil corainder and herbs and then added Hokkien noodles and a bit of soy n stuff to taste

turned the sliminess to an asset and tastes good

I wouldn't get too excited over the rainfall we've had, remember it's the first decent drink the earth has had for months. The ground will probably suck it straight up.

But 79mm for Mt.Lofty over 3 days is pretty damn respectable. If you must go, look around there.

Play it cool and take a backpack or something similar. Remember you're still in suburbia. Take it from someone who knows, walking around with a plastic baggy and being obvious can get you into trouble.

Have fun, walking around the Adelaide hills on a rainy day is a blast. :)

Re:brown slimy things. Yeah, I always thought they were a Boletus, Suillus are an off-shoot aren't they.

:D -

www.bluewillowpages.com/mushroomexpert/suillus_luteus.html

Photo - understand Polish El D?

www.grzyby.pl/gatunki/Suillus_luteus.htm

[ 28. May 2004, 01:38: Message edited by: strangebrew ]

yeh i can read polish but it's a real hassle. But I can tell that is a definite polish maślak zwyczajny!! :D

-so u say these are the same then rev?

must of been a bad batch of shrooms then. I'll have to give these a try but will give it to someone expendable 1st! I don't trust them!

ed: strangebrew cheers for the links :thumbsup:

[ 20. May 2004, 00:18: Message edited by: El Duderino ]

Hey strangebrew do you think there would be subs at Crawford it had about 40-60 mm. Also where is the Woodhouse camp I never heard of it.

Well I personally wouldn't bother, like I said first rain and all. If it was mid- season, certainly.

[ 28. May 2004, 01:41: Message edited by: strangebrew ]

If you're not seeing agarics, then there is little chance you will find subs. The general seasonal sequence in SA is brown slimes in May followed by agarics followed by subs in June through July. The window of opportunity seems to be a lot more narrow than in Vic, with them picking subs in April. I suppose that's one of the compensations for living in a shitty climate :D

Really is the season always that late here? I havent even seen the brown slimes (boletus/boletes??) this year yet - Mt Crawford usually is infested with them. Well Im gonna check Lofty and Crawford this week even If there isnt any, the hills are cool. If anyone finds subs here be sure to post

[ 20. May 2004, 17:28: Message edited by: Trich-Aura ]

Has anyone in SA ever come across any gallerina's or other nasties in the Mt Lofty ranges at all?

Don't be disappointed guys,I think the window's getting smaller.

We lived in the 2nd highest rainfall area of NSW last year and there were fly's,slippery jacks,chantrelles,gallerinas,puff-bals,shelf-fungus and..LBM's as well.

This year none..why?

Because they haven't had rain for 2 months

Rain was like brekky in that area.Once a week for a day was the minimum then,so it's looking pretty bad for the whole joint :(

*does a rain dance*

Well at least the flys have been up for a while!

flys002.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen galerinas, at least not the clumping type. I've only ever seen about 2 other shrooms that could be regarded as look-alikes. One is small and has an orangey-brown colour including the stem and the other, less common one, is yellowy. For newbies the best rules are to look for the bluing and if in doubt throw it out.

you can pretty well rely on the assumption that where theres subs theres galerinas - and the galerinas are prob more widespread

pinus radiata and galerina go together

that isnt to say thats 100% true but theres safety in that assumption while assumption a site is galerina free is risky on the ground the assessment is ephemeral - they could blow in any time

Good news SA we finally found subs!! Season has started. I am definetly sure it is a sub because of its heavy bluing and the colour cap is the same as other South Australian subs ive seen pics of. Unfortunately all we could find tho where these young specimens, its still is too early in the season. Also there was a lot of stropharia around that look like Melbourne subs but they dont bruise blue.

Lofty001.jpg

[ 31. May 2004, 00:56: Message edited by: Trich-Aura ]

Trich-Aura - your photo regains my hope in maybe someday finding the elusive sub! :D I can breathe a sigh of relief when i see that photo.

question - i have a lot of pictures of subs (most likely the melbourne variety). I understand the sa and melb varieties vary - if anyone has any sa sub pics or links to pics, it would be of great assistance in identifying. Cheers!

strangebrew, damn i havent even found any fly's yet -been a week since i've looked- maybe im looking in the wrong places.

-I MIGHT go hunting again this wkend but will probably postpone it to next weekend, let it rain a bit more and let them youg subs grow a bit, I'll post pics if i find any.

for the time being i'll join mescalito in his rain dance.

'you can pretty well rely on the assumption that where theres subs theres galerinas - and the galerinas are prob more widespread

pinus radiata and galerina go together '

Spot on Rev - there would be galerina there for sure.

Those subs seem very light capped - i had a similar isolate from syndey of a mushroom with that yellowish cap but it never matured in the garden in time to avoid the rampant snails that i had been too lazy to contain...

Looking forward to more pics -

I know two people who have tried native boletes and got croom guts - ive got a piss weak stomach, the kind that gets food poisoning from two day old rice in the fridge, so ill avoid.

Im keen to try the common lawn mushroom - Marasmius orddeas this year as apparently they are great and sweet.

BM: rice is 1 of the worst things to keep

gets nasty stuff really easily in fridge etc

i keep rice 1 day tops

Dunno whether it's just me, but I have always found the Flerieu way more productive than either the hills or Kuipto. The hills have the advantage of chilling down earlier in the season due to their altitude, and in theory could be right to go in April. However, I have walked all over the Mt Crawford forest a couple of times at the peak of the season, and have not seen a lot. The conditions seem fine - it could just be a lack of spores.

Unique looking flys you found there, very nice indeed. Roughly how wide was that last big one?

The ones I've been finding lately have been nearly totally white with just a tiny bit of red left in the centre.

With the rain that's coming next week maybe your subs will open!

EDIT: whoops, too late! :D

[ 27. May 2004, 23:31: Message edited by: strangebrew ]