The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Trip Dr

Crazy super blue shoom! Help !

Hello everyone,

once again i have come across these wierd shrooms i found once a while back. They have a yellow apperance with dark brown cap. Stem is off white, cap blues easily, an when stem is broken turns a very very dark shade of blue.

The specimen has no visible segigated gills as such, but appears more sponge-like. Can someone pls advise! Very sorry i have no cam for pics!

Trip Dr

Its a type of Bolete - and apparently quite poisonous.

Just cut one in half. Stem is solid. Underside of the cap is deinatly very weird and spongy looking, definate yellow colour, bruises blue.

Yes quite similar to the picture. If you had a picture of the underside i'd know straight away.

TRip Dr

Very few of the boletes seem to be poisonous apart from the Satan's Bolete which is quite easy to recognise. How sure are you that it is poisonous? Always best cooked, though, unless you want to test the possibly neurotoxic activity.

Quite a few Bolete sp. bruise easily(not necessarily blue). Some of those are not poisonous and tasty. I'd give it a miss if I were you.

Cheers

Really? As far as im aware in Australia there are only limited variety of boletes that stain blue and most of these are presummed to be poisonous.

sorry, I should have been more specific. I was refering to Europaean species, which we used to collect and consume in the past. I'm not sure how many of those are represented here. All I was suggesting is thet it's probably a good idea not to try them...

quote:

Always best cooked, though, unless you want to test the possibly neurotoxic activity.

So cooking destroys the poisonous compounds? What are they?

hey blue meanie

where did you get your assumption that these species are poisonous from?

most books ive read simply state unknown edibility

Australian books reflect our mycophobic culture and always warn people from eating strange mushrooms. This goe to TV too, where don burke told his vieweres to NEVER eat a mushroom that wasnt bought from the store.

Its not a matter of please ID the shroom firts or ' heres some edible and easy to recognise species'. It could have been a whole series in his show mm lets roadtest coprinus..

O/s many boletes are edible in China, north america, and europe. I think that most would be edible here too. perhaps the best way to give a headstart would be to start screening fresh specimens for toxins we know of so as to exclude them outright

amanotoxins, coprine,tryptamines etc...

Gyroporus stains blue and is a bolete type mushroom. In the US gyroporus is considered good eating.

With some genera its better to assume toxicity (Amanita, Inocybe, Galerina, Pholiota) until proven o/wise.

However with genera like Agaricus, boletus and Pleurotus itd be safe to asume probable edibility pending chemical and allergenic tests.

At least this doesnt propaget the culture of fear that most people have that assumes that all wild mushrooms are toxic - the reverse is true

Most are not toxic, many are inedible for other reasons though (ie. indigestible causing gastric upset). The ones that are toxic can be very toxic though.

i think don burke (registered TM, hahaha) :mad: lost it,

he's not a gardener anymore but a comercial money spinner.i just read his magazin in a waitingroom and could not agree on halve what it said.

his latin pronounciations give me the shivers,

i used to love his show, but i can't watch it anymore.

As an aside I believe the gourmet porcini mushroom is a bolete?

Yes... the "holy grail" of mushroom picking (for gourmet pickers anyways hehe) is Bolete edulis.. and smells absolutely rank!! the chef at work brought them in cos he knows im a mushroom fan.. but wow they just fill the air with fungal goodness.!@

[ 24. October 2003, 08:49: Message edited by: Mesqualero ]

further to don burks comment "only eat shrooms from stores".

i know of a case where poisonous shroom spors (the wind must have blown them in) got fully cultivated and sold to the supermarket. don't ask 4 the source, i forgot. the cultivators did not even bother to check what they produced.

wow ! 2 ask more about

mesq are these fresh!

if so i can do us bot a favour

i have a media formula for boletus edulis isloation from tissue

and i can find the way to infect pinus from a teacher of mine

heheh

love to have a panful (tho the deal for help with my teacher is that he gets the first harvest :) )

planthelper please try to remmeber more

this is an interesting occurence

laos people in canbverra got sick or died after eating amanita phalloides they thought were volvariella (only a problem in a country where you dont have amanita AND volvariella - theyre easily distinguished)

most mushroom poisonings arent the fault of the mushroom but a problem in digestion causing gastric distress.

YES YES YES!

I want this mushroom! I have eaten mushrooms just like the photo SFB posted and got effects... i think. I posted a thread about it a few years ago but i'm not sure if its still in the archives. When I discovered the curiously blue-staining bolete, my thinking was as Rev was describing... "Well its not one of the notoriously toxic genera so i'll start with a tiny bit and wait a few days then up the dose if everything is ok." I started with a piece about 1x1x1 cm of the fresh flesh about 6 in the evening. After skating around for about half an hour or so and wondering whether we could feel anything, we decided to drive into the country town we lived near and grab some shopping. When we entered the supermarket, a very strange feeling of something being 'different' was very apparent. My friend was feeling it too and we quickly decided to get home asap both in case we were in for a deep journey and also to munch some more of this curious fungus. Mysteriously, the brown paper bag containing the rest of the mushroom sample had completely vanished. We searched high and low for it and retraced all our steps but couldn't find it. I was sure I had locked the bag inside our shack laying on the kitchen bench and noone had been in our shack yet the bag was gone. That's when an intensely spooky feeling kicked in. Now I'm not normally one to get paranoid - weird things happen all the time but its no big deal. But this night I was excessively paranoid. I was laying in bed too scared to get up and go outside to go for a piss under the big pine tree outside our shack because i was literally concerned about the risk of a feral tiger coming and attacking me. I mean, part of me was saying "of course that's a stupid, paranoid idea" but the other half was saying "well anything is possible. You just like to think that something like that is improbable because it allows you to go about your daily business without freaking out that this or that could happen to you! Really a concept of probability is meaningless." Eventually I did work up the courage and rationality to go outside and go to the toilet. With this came a massive feeling of power and I felt like I had just beaten an illusionary trap in place to test my courage and belief in myself. I saw a massive cartoon like hallucination of a cat with big teeth towering behind me as i pissed under the pine tree. I felt a surge of adrenalin as I sensed the presence of the illusionary cat and felt strong in facing up to it much like the adrenalin rush i experienced as a little kid getting over a fear of the dark and coming

to the realisation that there IS nothing hiding in the dark waiting to jump out at me.

It is still hard to say whether it was placebo (placebo can be very powerful) or a real effect but it left me convinced that the species was worth investigating further. I should point out that from memory i did not have any other drugs that night and didn't know much at all about magic mushrooms at that point. I therefore did not have any conscious expectations to colour my experience. Unfortunately, we could not find the species growing again before moving away from the town (Denmark, Western Australia).

[ 25. October 2003, 00:21: Message edited by: Fractalhead ]

hey fractal buddy

e-mail me

man im hangin to catch up again at EB3

"a fucka plenty" to do and talk about

theres so much to see round here ive been waiting for a companion to go see