The Corroboree
Thelema

Deadly shroom interaction

I would just like to inform everyone, since this is probably the best place, of a deadly interaction between the ingestion of shroom and the antidepressant paroxetine (aropax-or paxil in the US)

this happened to my most familiar gnome.

if you are on international shroom forums etc. please mention this.

Wow i used to be on aropax. Its common knowlege that mixing anti-depressants and hallucinogenic drugs is a bad idea, but are you saying someone has actually died from it recently?

Sorry to hear Thelema :(

I know someone who(and NO it's NOT ME),takes Cipramil and took x with no probs and shrooms with no probs.

But then again..I think anti-depressants are dangerous anyway.

I had a near fatal episode on a mild dose of Avanza...by itself.

I don't trust pharmaceuticals(as most here would know :rolleyes: ).

Then again ,I NEVER mix wine and beer either

I guess we're all different.

hmm i used to be on aropax aswell, thelema could you tell us more about this please?

I found this very handy,helped me decide to do it without these engineered drugs(yeah I'm a little biased!)

Every death weakens us.

The website recommended by mescalito gives reactions with tryptophan as "headache, nausea, sweating, and dizziness". Was the gnome's death related to overheating? I have experienced and seen people suffer from high fever from mushrooms alone on occasions.

[ 19. September 2003, 06:51: Message edited by: theobromos ]

Woah. I'm on aropax now.

Edited by OpticalLight

Every death weakens us.

The website recommended by mescalito gives reactions with tryptophan as "headache, nausea, sweating, and dizziness". Was the gnome's death related to overheating? I have experienced and seen people suffer from high fever from mushrooms alone on occasions.

<small>[ 19. September 2003, 06:51: Message edited by: theobromos ]</small>

I can attest to this, I had a very high fever and incredible headache from just ingesting one decent sized mushroom (I dont take anti-depressants)... hot flushes and a feeling of passing out. The mushroom was correctly identified as a Sub species, really be careful... dont forget that you are ingesting a toxic mushroom and your body may be sensitive to the substances in the mushrooms. Make sure you are in a good atmosphere with fresh air, and that your not too cold or hot, keep yourself warm if its cold but dont go overboard... you may overheat.

I am not sure whether the mushroom produced these feelings or that this was happening under the "surface" prior to ingestation that the mushroom just brought out, because I was in a fairly unhealthy atmosphere (heavily smoked in room), as soon as I left the place and got a whiff of fresh air... that lifted me up considerably, I took a paracetamol tablet for the headache which seemed to dull it down.. although my head was still burning a couple of hours afterwards.

Edited by klip247

I can attest to this, I had a very high fever and incredible headache from just ingesting one decent sized mushroom (I dont take anti-depressants)... hot flushes and a feeling of passing out. The mushroom was correctly identified as a Sub species, really be careful... dont forget that you are ingesting a toxic mushroom and your body may be sensitive to the substances in the mushrooms. Make sure you are in a good atmosphere with fresh air, and that your not too cold or hot, keep yourself warm if its cold but dont go overboard... you may overheat.

I am not sure whether the mushroom produced these feelings or that this was happening under the "surface" prior to ingestation that the mushroom just brought out, because I was in a fairly unhealthy atmosphere (heavily smoked in room), as soon as I left the place and got a whiff of fresh air... that lifted me up considerably, I took a paracetamol tablet for the headache which seemed to dull it down.. although my head was still burning a couple of hours afterwards.

I can understand how some individuals may have adverse reactions to some mushrooms. However, I trust them more than what I am on now. I've been on aropax for about three weeks. Admittedly, I may have needed aropax initially as the symptoms were getting out of hand... And I do feel normal now, but damn; given the options, I think I would prefer not to take these tablets. And if the symptoms come back, I'll just have to train myself to adapt.

Either way, it was useful that I viewed this topic today.

Edited by OpticalLight

are ya talking bout SSRI's?

Yes, and in particular paroxetine (aka aropax). In the past I've been prescribed these sort of drugs but never took them as I was particularly averse to the idea. However recently it got to the point where the symptoms I was having were making it difficult to function. I sat down and read all the info on aropax, in particular the side effects, which I thought were a joke; but I thought hey, how else am I going to live like this.

Now three weeks down the track I feel functional enough again to re-assess the situation. And there seem to be quite a few things which would not be as pleasant as they used to be, or things I wouldn't even be able to do, if I continue to take this SSRI.

And I've searched all over the boards on SSRI's and a number of other things, which has led me to the conclusion that I'm just going to have to try some sort of alternative to this substance.

Edited by OpticalLight

Does the interaction also occur with other SSRI's? Such as zoloft (sertraline) which I am on now.

From what I understood, SSRI's only reaction was to make the experience a lot more dull and less effective. A friend while on SSRI's tried to take acid several times, each time, it almost never worked. As soon as he got off the SSRI's, the effects became normal again.

Is it only with your typical shroom? Or with amanitas too?

Are you asking anyone in particular?

Because I am most certainly not an expert on the subject.

Mainly directing my questions at eyebrow, but really anyone in the know.

Anyone know what is actually happening with this reaction to make it deadly? Symptoms of a toxic reaction?

I dunno, what happens to one person or even people, might not happen to another. People are different afterall.

I think Huichol_Eyebrow mentions this particular interaction on a couple of other threads. In this specific case/s, anaphylaxis maybe? Here.

There's quite a few threads, but this thread is also of interest.

There's more info on the net in general, for starters...

Erowid Maoi's info

Erowid Ssri's info

And seeing as you mentioned Zoloft, here too maybe. (Then again, those results would also be dependant on who participated in the study)...

I think that if I ever were to try mushrooms; a decrease in visualisations, or non effectiveness; would piss me off.

But then again someone who has been on SSRI's for awhile might decide too anyway... Still not sure if that's a good idea, on aropax in particular...

think the op has left the building permanently and can now be found at ae.

i know nothing about ssris!except they seem bad news.

t s t .

think the op has left the building permanently and can now be found at ae.

There's some good content there too, layout and trying to search for things confuses me a bit though.

Does the interaction also occur with other SSRI's? Such as zoloft (sertraline) which I am on now.

From what I understood, SSRI's only reaction was to make the experience a lot more dull and less effective. A friend while on SSRI's tried to take acid several times, each time, it almost never worked. As soon as he got off the SSRI's, the effects became normal again.

Is it only with your typical shroom? Or with amanitas too?

From some reading/research I did a while back paroxetine seemed to be the only SSRI having this interaction with mushrooms.. But anybody unsure about a specific one they might be on should look into it specifically to be safe.

Amanitas are a completely different kettle of fish. Haven't looked into it. But it's cholinergic system vs serotonergic so as a guess I'd say there's probably no major problems. But look into it if thinking of trying it.