The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

New plant profiles

It's a lot of work, which is why I keep putting it off, but it really needs to be done. So, I will be providing a list of any new plant profiles I am putting up. They are all fully reworked with fresh information and especially new pictures. Most of the pics will be from our own gardens.

Minor rework means I have checked the data for current validity and might have added a pic or two. Generally up to 2 hours work

Major rework means a full reworking of the data with lots of additions and lots of new high resolution pictures. Over 2 hours work.

New profiles for today are:

Shamanic

---------

Eschscholzia (minor)

Ipomoea (major)

Heimia (minor)

Lactuca (minor)

Leonotis (major)

Leonurus (major)

Ipomoea (more pics 26-3-05)

Mucuna (major 26-3-05)

Peganum (mimor 26-3-05)

Trachelospermum (major 8-5-05)

Tabernaemontana (zooper dooper major update 8-5-05)

Withania (minor 8-5-05)

Nepeta (minor 8-5-05)

Nymphaea (minor 8-5-05)

Mitragyna speciosa (15-5-05)

Pausinystalia yohimbe (15-5-05)

Phalaris (15-5-05

Phragmites (minor 15-5-05)

Piper & Macropiper (very major!! 15-5-05)

Passiflora (major 15-5-05)

Psychotria (major15-5-05)

Rivea (15-5-05)

Salvia incl divinorum (15-5-05 not finished)

Sida (minor 15-5-05)

Food

---------

Glycyrrhiza - liquorice (minor)

=================================================

I will be adding to this list in this post, so feel free to ask question etc in this thread, and make sure to check this post regularly.

[ 15. May 2005, 22:40: Message edited by: Torsten ]

Right on T, those plant profiles are how I origonally found this ethnobotanical haven :)

he, he, when I first saw you repolied to this I thought you were going to pull me up on the heimia page I know I took a shortcut on that one and will need to consult your notes to elaborate a bit more.

I am trying to strike a balance between scientific data and consumerfriendliness though. Those who need deep scientific information with references etc will know how to find them, so I am concentrating on making it readable for those who 'just want to know'.

I am most enjoying the new pictures. It's one thing having them in the database all scrambled, but putting them on the site in context really brings them to life.

Really good work Torsten, it's very much appreciated. Photos are looking good too.

Sorry if it's not appropriate to ask questions in this thread...the anadenanthera pics, did you take this one in australia? http://shaman-australis.com.au/Website/Pic...06colubrina.jpg

what a beauty, don't suppose it seeds at all? (wasn't aware any have seeded in oz)

Again great work, look forward to reading the rest of them :)

[ 04. March 2005, 19:49: Message edited by: gerbil ]

Discussion in this thread is fine as I will add new species to the initial post only.

All photos on that page were taking in australia, except

#2, because I could not find my own seed, but will replace as soon as I do.

#12, #13, #14 because they are herbarium sheets from overseas.

I also have a photo of my own largest tree flowering, but can't find it right now :rolleyes: (the picture that is, not the tree)

This page will become more and more interesting over the next 2-3 years, as the seedlings will increase in size and become more identifiable. Also, a few people are contributing pics, material and information to expand this page over the next little while. I was just trying to get some info out there before people get busted importing fake peregrinas etc. There may even be a source for the real A.peregrina right here in australia!! Stay tuned.

I know of 3 mature trees. 2 are supposed to be peregrina from 15 years ago, but I doubt it cos they survive in an area where peregrinas shouldn't. The other is colubrina (pic) which is at least 7 years old, but may be considerably more. It is pretty sick though.

None produce seed, which I find odd, because this climate is comparable to where they are from.

Sounds promising though, at least it gives hope.

Look forward to the flower pics. (we'd be worried if you couldn't find the tree, like the caapi vines :P )

Ipomoea (more pics 26-3-05)

Mucuna (major 26-3-05)

Peganum (mimor 26-3-05)

it's just a wild guess, but maybe those trees can be brought into seeding by using bloom fertilizers and plenty of waterings to aid fruitset.

to me it's concevable that they don't set seed because of lack of water.

they are planted near Whian Whian and get about 1900mm. I doubt water is the problem

They are also in very fertile red soil.

It may well be a soil fertility problem, but it may also be a pollinator issue.

very nice mucuna pictures torsten

yeah, it's our first decent harvest coming up. so hopefully as from about may we will be selling our own seed rather than the crappy imported stuff. we get 95% vigorous germination from our own and only about 20% pathetically weak germination from the imported.

new ones for today 8-5-05 are:

Trachelospermum (major)

Tabernaemontana (zooper dooper major update)

Withania (minor)

Nepeta (minor)

Nymphaea (minor)

[ 09. May 2005, 20:03: Message edited by: Torsten ]

more new stuff:

Mitragyna speciosa (15-5-05)

Pausinystalia yohimbe (15-5-05)

Phalaris (15-5-05

Phragmites (minor 15-5-05)

Piper & Macropiper (very major!! 15-5-05)

Passiflora (major 15-5-05)

Psychotria (major15-5-05)

Rivea (15-5-05)

Salvia incl divinorum (15-5-05 not finished)

Sida (minor 15-5-05)