The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Torsten

and yet another server move..... lessons learnt

Sorry for the downtime folks, but it was beyond our control.

About 18 months ago when the server was going really well we decided to puchase our domain space for life. This worked out economically if we were going to be around for more than 8 years, which we intend to be. However, a few months later the server we were on started having problems. Dreading the move (and associated problems) we hung in there with weekly promises that things would get better. Things got worse. And thne one day we were told the server was being decommissioned and we have to move. We were offered an upgrade at a small fee to move to a better server. We made the move and the new server was great, but the service then declined to the point where most problems took about 20 e-mails and 2-3 weeks to NOT be resolved.

The latest problem was a very minor one and would have taken the admin no more than 30 secs to fix. However he chose not to. And I think I know why....

The host had extracted the maximum amount of money from us (about AU$3000!!!). There was simply no more to be had. We had done all the upgrades and added on all the extra bits - for life. We have two massive sites totalling 3000meg storage and over 100gig traffic and by making them dysfunctional they are almost useless to us. This means we have no choice but to abandon them.

In fact, I feel that the admin wants me to loose my temper so he can simply delete the whole domains under the 'acceptable use policy'. he has threatened to do so once before.

I won't do him that favour and we will retain those domains purely for data storage. So for a little while you will see the forums on the new server and the shop on the old one, etc.

new server you say?? what new server? If you have a close look at the domain you will see that we now own http://www.shaman-australis.com.au

(relax, it is still hosted outside australia )

The lessons learnt?

* Never buy your domain space... always make sure that the host has a reason to keep serving you.

* Do not host your domain with FIDPAC or any of it's 100+ affiliates. Check http://super.nu to see what this guy offers and don't go for any packages that look even remotely similar as they are most likely run by him or the same upstream provider (who is just as bad).

* Bite the bullet. If service is crap at any point then it is unlikely to get any better.

Thanks for all the trouble and hard work Torsten!

Damn it's good to be back! :cool:

All I wan't to say is that I'm very glad to see the forum back!

Thank you so very much,

Ash

can somebody confirm the instance, that all the privat messages have been deleted during the break. ...say's, no privat messages, but i did have many...

Yes, I did mention this on the other page before, but forgot to report it here. The core of the server problem was that several folders were locked by the server. This means that neither the software nor I can access them. Several/most PM folders were affected.

So, essentially your PM's are still in existence on the other server and could be retrieved if the prick of an administrator would unlock the folders for me. I don't expect this to happen.

Rather than messing up the PM system with rescuing a very few messages, I opted to start the PM system from scratch. Feel free to remind people to resend their PM's. Apologies for this, but there really was no other way.

It is another reminder to use PMs as a VERY temporary storage device. Many forums 'delete' their PMs on a regular basis due to upgrades or server problems, so this is not unique to SAB.

We have also lost the last 8 new registrations. I am going to try and look through my trash to see who they were and will e-mail them.

I also suggest to enable the 'e-mail a copy of the PM' function in your profile. That way you have a copy of each PM in your e-mail box.

previous server admin could do with a gentle strangling. great to be back.

the, cgi?ubb=pntf files don't open anymore.

how, can i view that statistic and faq page now?

works fine here, so not a problem on the server end. Maybe it's a problem with your proxy again.

good lord, had no idea of the trials 'n tribulations involved in keeping this site up

that isp of yours sounds appalling!

when will businesses learn how much more profitable they can be longterm with good word of mouth karma...

best of luck with new server

and thanks

Originally posted by Piers Gibbon:

good lord, had no idea of the trials 'n tribulations involved in keeping this site up

Neither did I when I started