The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
AndyAmine.

1 person die's and 3 critical, found slumpped in a car from N2O asphyxiation!

1 person died last night and 3 are critical after being found in a parked car out the front of the drivers house.

Apparently a man walking the drivers dogs found them in the car and when police arrived they found a hospital grade N2O cannister in the boot turned to the open position...

Apparently they were out partying before hand, so Im guessing it got knocked open when they threw something in the boot and drove home, then suffered from asphyxiation.

[ 20. September 2005, 04:32: Message edited by: AndyAmine. ]

you mean these people got NO2 to get high right. if you get NO2 for that purpose you learn to identify the effects right? then these people sat or drove in a car slowly feling the effects coming on them and thought nothing of it?

come on you can feel NO2 shine easy. i say its either propoganda or natural selection.

Well, I dunno Amulte, if they were using the cannister to get high then I doubt it would have been in the boot of the car where they cant control the knob.

If they had been at a club or dance party or something and were already tripping balls, or had jst dropped something more before leaving then they may have not noticed it as much and thought it was jst the increasing effects of the drugs.

Also, if they knob was only opened slightly and slowly replaced all the oxygen in the car it wouldnt have been as noticable.

If you have a large ammount of oxygen in the mix, the effects are much more subtle and really creep up on you.

Here is the story, taken from www.news.com.au:

quote:

Laughing gas blamed for man's death

By Lillian Saleh and Gemma Jones

September 19, 2005

A MAN is dead and three friends are critical in hospital after an apparent experiment with laughing gas went horribly wrong yesterday.

Four people were found slumped inside a two-door silver Hyundai Excel hatchback parked on the front lawn of a house in Toongabbie, in Sydney's west, at 7.30am.

It is believed the four had inhaled nitrous oxide - commonly known as laughing gas.

Forensic police yesterday removed a blue 1m-long gas tank from the boot of the car for testing.

A man living in a granny flat at the rear of the house found the three men and a woman - aged in their early 20s and late 30s - slumped in the car as he headed out for an early morning walk.

Seven ambulances were sent to the address after receiving reports of four people being drug affected, some of whom were said to be unconscious and not breathing.

Advertisement:

An ambulance spokeswoman said paramedics pulled the four people out of the car. A man and the woman were suffering cardiac arrests. The other two men "appeared to be drug affected", the spokeswoman said.

Residents in the quiet street were shocked by the incident and described the dead man as friendly and a hard worker.

The first police officer on the scene, Chief Inspector Dean Olsen, of Blacktown police said he was confronted by a scene of chaos. "There were ambulance officers everywhere working on bodies," he said.

Paramedics were able to restart the woman's heart before she was rushed to Westmead hospital where she was in a critical condition last night.

One of the men - believed to be the occupant of the house - was taken to Blacktown hospital, but later died. The two other men were last night in a critical condition in hospital.

Chf Insp Olsen said police were yet to determine what had happened and what type of gas it was, but he ruled out gas for a barbecue.

A resident whose house backs on to Union St yesterday said the man who found the four people ran to his house for help.

"He came over screaming that the car was full of nitrous oxide," the man said.

"The next thing there were ambulance officers everywhere".

Chf Insp Olsen said officers were hoping the two survivors could tell them what the four were doing in the car.

He said police investigators would also determine whether the gas cylinder had sprung a leak or if its valve was deliberately turned on.

Forensics officers fingerprinted the car - which remained on the front lawn with its boot and two doors opened - and also swabbed it for traces of DNA.

"We are investigating a sudden death in quite strange circumstances, so we will be looking at everything," Chf Insp Olsen said.

It was a BLUE tank!

Aren't they automotive grade?

I thought medical grade was a beige colour?

That might explain a thing or two.

Maybe a dodgy, street-racing setup, that leaked?

BLUE IS AUTO GRADE! shit no wonder they got fucked up!

id say they were lookin to cut corners on NO2 supply. ive heard of people doing the same thing ending a similar way.

Umm, from memory hospital grade is a blue cannister as well.

Im sure Ive mentiond it before but a mate and I used to suck Auto grade No2, did it for a few month with no ill effects that I could tell of.

After we found out it had hydrogen sulphide in it we swapped over to ISI brand which is much cleaner and has a high conc. of no2..

The reason I say it's blue is because the same mate and I pinched on from a hospital but after getting chased down the street by a good semaritan we were devistated to find out it was empty. Im sure we would have only taken it if it said it had NO2 in it.

Backs up why the baloon thing is a bad idea , don't try this at home kids.

quote:

The reason I say it's blue is because the same mate and I pinched on from a hospital but after getting chased down the street by a good semaritan we were devistated to find out it was empty. Im sure we would have only taken it if it said it had NO2 in it.

Hahahaha that's quite a story, reminds me of trainspotting when they robbed the store and were chased. LMAO

EDIT:

quote:

Backs up why the baloon thing is a bad idea , don't try this at home kids.

Why exactly is the ballon thing a bad idea, i've seen people say it's a bad idea but have never understood why?

[ 20. September 2005, 11:55: Message edited by: ergoamide ]

yeah, it was quite a funny one in hindsight, a mate and I were at another mate's house when one of them crushed his thumb under an engine and we had to take him to the box hill emergency dept. (Melbourne)

He was taking ages so we went for a snoop around (as you do) and in a little semi-closed of section we spied about 40 difernt tanks all staked up in this grid thing. The blue ones quickly grabbed my attention and I ended up talking my mate into taking his flannelet jacket off and wrapped it up.

We walked towards the emergancy doors, my mate wiht the jacket bundled under his arm and my arm over his shoulder, looking like I was consoling him or something.

We got about 100mtrs down the rd (my house was about 800mtrs down the road) when I heard someone shout "Oie, come back here" and foot steps running after us, so we bolted back around behind box hill Tafe panting like mad when we saw the guy drive passed us in a car.

We then walked up to my place wiht tank and a gas mask + tube in hand thinking we were total champs , my mate quickly went back to his place to get a knob and fitting (he's a fitter and turner) and came back as fast as he could.

It was all setup and ready to go, I was giddy wiht expectation jst dieing to hear that wonderful "crack - pssst" sound of the expelling gas but..... nothing.. not a peep.....

Oh well, makes a good story tho.. :D

Also, using a ballon is a bad idea because your sucking in nothing but No2 and expelled Co2 which leads to asphyxiation and death.

You see this a lot wiht bulb machines tho, particulalrly the big ones that take 3+ bulbs, my bro used to go so hard his lips and whole face would go blue.. not cool at all.

If you use balloons, just have one breath of oxygen in-between each breath of nitrous, that is safe enough isn't it?

That's how I do it.

But, i have had to slap a friend back to consciousness once, as he didn't heed this advice.

His whole face went gray, and dead looking, with blue lips. Scary shit!

Heard on the radio this morning that another died in hospital, and 2 guys have been realeased...sad to hear

Ahhhhh that's the balloon thing, i always thoght like benzito and that you had a breath in between each suck so you would still get some oxygen. Silly me misinformed.

The radio around my way keeps talkin about 2 people in the car but not 4 so i have no idea what they r going on about stupid pop fm stations.

Man, I been doing bulbs all week since I heard this story. It brought back memories!

hehe. :D

Still got the trusty old bulbinator, surprisingly.

Fuck the details. A friend of mine passed out with a mask on. He isn't here anymore. Nitrous will fucking kill you.

I really don't mean to offend you pisgah, and i'm sorry to hear of your loss, but situations like that doesn't mean a substance is really to blame.

If nitrous kills people end of story, why is it still being used in legit. manners?

Strapping a mask on which feeds you something that can put you under is not very wise IMO. I don't do alot of reading on the matter, but from what i have read, it seems alot of people die from nitrous when using it with strap on masks, especially doing it alone.

But please I mean no offence :)

If memory serves me correctly, the Nitrous cylinders in hospitals are premixed with oxygen (N2O:O2) in the right ratio so asphyxiation won't occur.

Also in a way, if you know to take a breath of air in-between 'ballooning', it is safer than direct application from the bulb for the main reason of freezing your lungs with the expanding N20. The balloon method allows the gas to warm up to room temperature. A soda fountain bottle works just as well (just don't put any water in ).

Since your lungs don't have a sense of temperature you won't know that you have frozen (or burnt in the case of hot gases from a fire)your lungs, till after a while when your lungs fill with fluid as an effect to the "freeze/burn".

A rather nasty effect!!

One has just got to be aware of asphyxiation with any gasses other than ~70% N2 and 20% O2!!

The nastyness is that asphyxiation mostly happens without the person knowing it is happening to him. Your consiousness just slowly slips away.

[ 23. September 2005, 03:30: Message edited by: Ed Dunkel ]

I recall a man was found dead in his volkswagon bug, parked ina bar parking lot in NY, he died from attaching a gas mask to a hospital canister of nitrous oxide. That was 25 years ago.

In Japan they keep finding the bodies of groups of 3, 4, and 5 young people dead in vans, parked in quiet places, with a small hibachi burning or burned out. They meet on the internet says the news, they then do a group suicide.

One friend of mine's brother was found in such a way here in town about a two years ago. That time, before there were several more similar incidents around Japan, the news proclaimed it an "accident." Now the investigators are aware of the people within's intentions. In that case all were college studnets, about 20years old.

Very shocking and sad for the family of course. The news and locals also use that term for people who jump in front of trains.

I wonder if the nitrous folks in Oz were intending to check out on a high note or if they were just not aware of what could happen? I imagine it is actually a warm way to go, as I have passed out on nitrous before onlyto wake up fine, had I suffocated, I would not have felt anything more.

[ 23. September 2005, 03:34: Message edited by: hoodoo ]

There was also another guy in the USA that was found by his wife dead in his bedroom, dressed in his wifes bra and panties and a mask strapped on.

I dont think all medical grade no2 is diluted because Ive had it before at the dentist and they had an O2 tank as turned on as well, perhaps they dilute it even more depending on the level of anethesia?

Originally posted by Pisgah:

Fuck the details. A friend of mine passed out with a mask on. He isn't here anymore. Nitrous will fucking kill you.

Nitrous is a safe substance if applied right.

If you accept that then your friend did not die from nitrous, he died from ignorance.

I was lucky to have learnt about the dangers of nitrous before I started using it, so even when we got a mask/tank, we didn't use it until we got a regulator to mix oxygen into it at right ratio. Also, when ballooning never use the same 'air' more than twice.

We found if you hyperventilate a little first and then hold the balloon longer, you get a better effect with no significant loss of blood oxygen (ie no blue lips).

Any substance is safe, its the user who makes it unsafe...

I can dig it. The whole "Fuck the details" thing probably came off as reactionary. Didn't mean it that way. I have ingested all sorts of things that could potentially cause the demise of a homo sapien, but as you point out Torsten it is ignorance that kills in the presence of chemicals.

I guess my point is this (someone kick the soapbox out from under me please), ignorance can kill you, but ignorance in the face of a substance thought by many to be benign can kill you a shitload faster than ignorance alone.

I sometimes get the feeling that we talk about things here at SAB, and other sites as well, that are potentially dangerous. That's fine, since we are ostensibly all adults here. But from time to time I read a post that is obviously from one of the ignorant, and you know what, I feel compelled to play the part of reactionary. Maybe that's the wrong word. Cautionary. That's better...

Just be safe people. People love you...

[ 24. September 2005, 03:34: Message edited by: Pisgah ]

I must say, Im a little interested to know who you think is juvenile because I know most of the ages of the posters. :)

Hmmm, thats wierd, twilight zone material. :confused:

I swear it said Juvenile or young, something like that, perhaphs I got my threads mixed up, it happens.. I see you edited your post jst before replying. did you change it?

I apologize if thats the case, I wasnt trying to have a crack at you Pisgha, I was jst curious because like I say, I know the ages of most of the posters.

[ 24. September 2005, 03:56: Message edited by: AndyAmine. ]