The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

marijuana on the telly

Tomatoes aren't psychoactive, plus thc has been bred to unnaturaly high amounts in most mj plants, what are some of the "advertised" amounts.. 15% from 2%-3%. But then again they did have hash back in the day

They had "hash" back in the day because buds were seasonal then and needed something to sell in winter.

A hippy informs me that it went Buds during season, then hash, then when the hash ran out all that was

left was heroin...

The breeding for more potency argument doesn't hold water. Back when it wasn't as potent, they'd simply smoke more. Now you only need a cone or two for effects.

For comparisons sake, modern weed is about as potent as hash from "back in the day". People smoked that then and didn't go crazy. So explain how the argument works. Or how come people who smoke hash made of modern weed (much more potent) in Amsterdam aren't suffering from a national psychotic paranoia schizophernic nutbag epedemic?

A higher level of self reporting amongst dope smokers? 20 or 30 years ago it would have been practically unheard of for anyone to tell a medical professional they were dopesmokers. Now it's a question you get asked routinely. Just a theory...

i didn't live in the 60's and i've never been to amsterdam so i can't comment on that. My only experience is that i get paranoid when i smoke hydro and increases the more i smoke, but bush just gives me a nice mood enhancement..

I agree though, that there are alot of other factors like that ss gene on catalyst the other night which makes you susceptible to depression.

My paranoid thoughts could even stem from cultural conditioning, that what i'm doing isn't tolerated by the law.

ss gene???????? Are you infering that super skunk is an isolated gene? If so, learn a bit about plant breeding and you will find super skunk is actually a registered trademarked name and the genes responsible for its creation are a combination of many random genes selectively put together. Super skunk is an F1 hybrid between skunk#1 and an Afghani. Breeding a super skunk to super skunk does not produce more super skunks. It does not breed true. Skunk#1 does but that is one of the only ones known too. I also beleive in Oz anything that has the distinctive skunk smell is called skunk. This is generally not true as it only has to carry the genes for the aroma of skunk and nothing else related to it. Don't research MJ breeding for info. Research general fruit breeding like peaches or apples, etc. It will give you a good base of knowledge to work with.

endrogen - that pretty much sums up the hippies in this area too. Many of those who stopped growing pot and started smoking hydro developed more paranoia than when they were growing their own. Those who noticed the cause of the changes went back to smoking bush buds. A friend tells me that bush buds are making a massive resurgence with the older crowd. I think the thrill is over.

Most hydro isn't actually bred much stronger than normal pot. What makes it stronger is the fact that no resin is washed off or blown off the plants by the elements and the reduction in UV probably also reduces decomposition. With bush buds you have to get a 3 weeks window where it doesn't rain or your crop is crap. This indicates that bush buds have not much more than about 4 weeks worth of resin production on the colas. Obviously this all depends on the local climate, but even if it doesn't rain, wind and sun are everywhere and wind certainly contributes to the removal of resin from the cola.

Given thaht hydro growers use pretty much the same chemical shit that tomato growers do, I doubt that you would get much nasty chemical effect from such tiny amounts of herb. You are more likely to get it from all the other veges. So the key must be in the resin profile.

Hmm...very interesting.

My high school, or at least my grade had a very very high proportion of stoners. I mean at least 60%.

As such, there was always someone selling. I don't want to go racial profiling or nothing, but you'd find that the wogs would be selling hydgy and the hippies would be selling bush.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I bought hydro buds. Nobody enjoys them around here, but the stuff we get is still pretty potent.

Torsten you make some very good points in my opinion, and I can definitely add something to your UV theory.

A while ago there was a crackpot claiming all indoor grown weed was placebo and had no THC! The reason? Indoor HID (HPS/MH) lights by law are required to block the UV-B photon at the glass bulb.

So a couple of people on OG got together, and did an experiment involving UV-B/UV-C lights and controls.

Some interesting results included: plants far away from the UV-B lights were unharmed, however ones close by were killed or damaged.

One guy claimed UV-B kept bugs away and reduced bud rot, but wouldn't post his research so I wouldn't count on that too much.

The end conclusion was that basically in controlled situations the use of UV-B increases the amount of CBG (thus THC upon drying), however the amount that's provided by the sun in summer is probably too much.

Then again, it raises another issue. In the Americas, I think the UV-B is around in high concentration for a lot less than here. They only get it around when seed production is halfway done until it finishes. We get it for a much larger chunk afaik.

[ 24. May 2005, 01:05: Message edited by: apothecary ]