The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

Water pipes illegal in Qld

i was told today that pipes are now illegal to sell in shops.......most of the head/hippy shops are having sales of over 50% off. seems as though the government doesnt like the idea that pot can be smoked through it even though a pipe may be used a thousand times without smokeing pot in it. can anyone confirm this???

[ 31. December 2004, 17:34: Message edited by: Torsten ]

yep, this came as a bit of a surprise. I've contacted several shops and they all say pretty much the same. My wholesaler's site is also down.

I think it is only water pipes that are now illegal and this is probably one of those NSW QLD harmonisation laws.

What remains to be cleared up is whether the law affects the possession of water pipes or just the sale & display. I think it is the latter.

they had all their pipes on sale, now i dont smoke but ima sucker for smoking paraphanalia. almost bought a elephant pipe about 25cm long for $25 really cool lol.

ahh crap! Just found the story on abc online. Apparently the lawwas only passed mid november and it is not in the drug law, but rather in the tobacco law. Fines for manufavturing, selling or displaying bongs will be up to $10,000.

The bill was proposed by the opposition and was adopted by the government. Go figure.

The saving grace of this is that owning a bong that does not have MJ in it and is quite clearly not for use with an illegal substance appears to still be legal in Qld (unlike most other states where it is illegal to own a bong no matter what the intention).

==========================

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20041...11/s1241071.htm

Tobacco laws to ban 'bongs'

Queensland shops could be banned from selling cannabis bongs under eleventh-hour amendments to the Government's tough new tobacco laws.

The Government is expected to adopt changes put forward by Opposition health spokesman Stuart Copeland.

The changes would result in the production, display and sale of marijuana utensils, commonly known as bongs, being prohibited.

Under the Nationals' motion, offenders would face hefty penalties of up to $10,000.

The Liberal Party has supported the changes, saying it would be a ridiculous anomaly if utensils for an illegal product were allowed to be displayed and sold, while legal cigarettes are subject to stringent restrictions.

The Bill is expected to be passed later today.

===================

moved this topic to News & Notices for better exposure.

this news is really amazing ! and for me it is a serious thing since i never smoke "joint" but only bong....

i hope this is not the first step, before a bong banning. (if only the market is touched, then we could continu building some)

i don't understand how they success when they vote for this kind of laws which are clearly an attempt to our own rights !

how do they make difference between what they called a tobacco water pipe and a mj bong ? it is easy and common to smoked freebase, hashich, mj, lettuce, tobacco etc.... with the same bong.

this way of thinking look strange for me :

i have knife at home, and that don't mean i will use them to kill someone. how could they predict intention ?

I believe in SA "instruments for smoking marijuana" including bongs are only illegal if you've been busted for illegal drugs like marijuana, and the instruments are found with it. In this case it's a $50 on the spot fine per drug smoking instrument.