The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

SAB server going down??

As mentioned in another thread, I have the feeling that the SAB webhost is going under and that this will cause problems for both the SAB & Wandjina sites.

As the host is also the registrar for the domain, I am not sure how much delay there will be in tansferring the domain to another host. I will probably set up a portal site in the next few days for such an occurrence and will post the domain here.

I am sorry for the inconvenience, but losing my current host is a major financial disaster. I bought the domains and webspace for both domains 'for life', ie 2000Mb space and 40 Gig traffic for as long as the domains exist. Moving the domains would mean losing it all.

So please bear with me for the next few days until this all gets sorted out.

your efforts and outlays are much appreciated!

thanx for your continuing great work.

sorry its putting such a hole in your available work time.

t s t .

Srver does not look like it is going down. I finally got a response from the administrator. not very cooperative, but at least we know he still exists.

This does not solve many of the issues this periodically raises though and I am still looking at establishing a portal site and a back up site for the forums.

The portal site has been an idea floating in my head for a while now. Basically it will be a site with no 'offensive' content. A single page with just links to important places in the ethnobotany community. So that if any of these places ever get shut down by any authority or greedy webproviders, or their domains blocked, they can simply move to a new space (and new domain) and have their link changed on the portal page.

Forums are now fully fnctional. ie, what you see here will actually work. However I have had to take out some of the functions, such as the directory.

Everything else is working again, including the PM's and all the log ins.

"However I have had to take out some of the functions, such as the directory."

And polls? I tried to post a poll in chill, polling disabled! Is this comming back or is it on the wait-and-see list?

The polls will be on soon. I have to edit each forum to allow them. They were turned off by default when I did the reinstall.

I finally know what's been going on with the server. Apparently spam hackers have been hacking the servers mail relay for the last 2 weeks. To do so they access all sorts of parts of the server and cause damage in the process. Being a leading edge technology server farm, they are vulnerable due to the newness of the technology. Anyway, apparently all security issues have been dealt with and there should only be one more server downtime when they reinstall a lot of the damaged and corrupted scripts. I am prepared for it and the disruption should be minimal.

Damn hackers!

When the whole 'war on terrorism' funk started I emailed the vice president (not the president, 'cause I'm not convinced he can read) and told him that hackers ARE domestic and international terrorists and should be fought accordingly. Bastard didnt listen, kinda surprized me since this administration loves two kinds of war- wars where we outnumber the enemy 5,000 to 1 and wars that cant be won (that way they'll last to re-elections) the war on hackers would be both.

Sons a bitches need to pay better attention to the internet, starting a month before the sept 11 strikes I saw arabs sending numerous coded messages on a public organic chemistry forum that I was a major player in (the best organic chem forum I have ever found). The forum disappeared with no explination OVER THREE MONTHS after the terrorist strikes.

Does this mean that you can answer your emails now Torsten? , realising that you are busy, just a friendly reminder!

Originally posted by Tripitaka:

[Q]Does this mean that you can answer your emails now Torsten? , realising that you are busy, just a friendly reminder![/Q]

I've just spent more than 50 hours this week sitting in front of this goddamn computerscreen, most of it fixing the forums. I know I should reply to my mails, but i really have my limits too. I got into this so I can play with plants in the garden, and look what it has turned me into....a computernerd

Send me an e-mail with tripitaka in the header so I know which one you are.