The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spaced

chilli cook off

From the Canning Times, Feb 4 2003:

HOT STUFF LINED UP FOR FESTIVAL

As if February in Perth was not hot enough Araleun Botanic Gardens is turning up the heat a few notches with its inaugural Chilli Festival 2003 on February 15 and 16

This two day tribute to the fascinating and sometimes feared fruit offers everything "chilli" from chocolates and cheeses, to chutneys, pickles, beers and wines.

Jackie Moroney and Liz Dunn are part of the team that has spent the past few months preparing Araluen for Chilli Festival 2003.

The crew has planted more than 20 varieties of chillies that will help form colourful displays around the park at festival time.

Aside from the endless selection of foods using chillis, grower's stalls will have chilli plants for people who enjoy using chilli in home cooking, as well as giving advice about growing chilli plants and their applications.

Enthusiastic chilli eaters will be heartened to know that a range of "cool down treats" will be available including yoghurts, ice creams and beverages.

Sambanistas Street Percussion, LC Salsa and Gypsey Masala will maintain the gala feel with their high energy performances, while Western Power celebrity chef Dale Sniffen will take centre stage with demonstrations of using chillies with creativity

adults $6, children $3, or $15 families (two adults, two children)

I wonder if there'll be any Guatemalan insanity pepper-cheesecakes floating around... :D

To bad I cant go :(

If y'all see homemade 'fatalii hot sauce' there try it out, GREAT stuff when its made properly- wicked hot with a really, really good odor. When I make it the smell gets me so excited people think I'm gonna get my underware all gooey.

Getting excited just thinking about it, gotta go sniff my fatalii...

:D OHHHH AHHHH MMMMMM :D Thats Good!

One of these days I'll send some fatalii seeds to AFSR along with a few others (caribbean red and whatever else seems appropriate) just in case they are hard to get over there.

im a chili lover too.

long time ago i was amazed to find out that chilies are perenial even in canada or europe.

same with physalis peruviana, just overwinters easy in a cellar, even without much light.

this means no need for spring sowing. and waiting, till flowers emerge (so late till its allmost too late in the year anyway for fruiting)but fruits early summer allready.

i remove most seeds if cooking for others...

once i had a true chili expierience it felt like i was charged and i managed some of my wildest f***s whilst being on the chili high.

some even mix chili in there mull mix.

i naturaly love paprika the mild form, its for the beginners and allthough from suoth america its now called hungarian paprika, yummy stuff, said to aid protein digestion and anti clotting?

"allthough from suoth america its now called hungarian paprika"

Actually there are several paprikas, one of 'em is 'hungarian paprika'. I grow it, its a good producer and if you shove a little nail through the stem it makes peppers a little hotter than normal. But that cultivar is from hungary, not south america. The cultivar that it was developed from came from the americas.

Heres one I recently harvested:

HPap.jpg

And heres a fatalii I just grew:

fatalii.jpg

[ 12. February 2003, 17:43: Message edited by: Auxin ]

i Love Paprika! Any chance of a seedling? :)

"i Love Paprika! Any chance of a seedling?"

bluemeanie do you EVER check your PMs? I PMed you about 20 days ago and its still unread.