The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
strangebrew

clym's a wuss!

I finally got around to doing some long overdue taste-testing and got some surprising results. One of which was discovering that the slow growing SAB macrogonus? clone 'Clym' has hardly any bite - only 1 or 2 notches above the KK242peru on the zing-a-meter!

I would appreciate it if any other growers of this clone could test theirs to back this up.

Cheers.

Thats very Interesting Strangebrew as i was under the assupmtion that Macrogonus has the same alkaloid profile and content as Bridgessi? But i guess there are alot of things to factor in aswell like growing conditions, fertilisers etc

[ 16. September 2005, 12:01: Message edited by: Young Tripper ]

I am a little confused...... I thought KK242 (whatever that might be in reality) was one of the zingier 'strains'.

Anyway, I've never appreciated clym for anything more than his beauty, so thanks for letting us know.

Some types are said to be potent and not bitter.

It is my current understanding that the most potent forms are bridgesii and pachanoi clones. Though any species can have weaker specimens.

Just last week I did a cutting of a Bridgesii.... tasted it..... and it wasn't really bitter at all...... which really confused me..... I was expecting it to have a very bitter taste...... :confused:

I have tasted bridgesii that were very bitter, and some that were not very bitter at all. I am told that one of them that is not bitter is known for its high alkaloid content.

I also heard a report where a man did an extraction on a plant with zero bitter taste and reported a 0.3% yeild. The plant was a peruvianoid and I assume that said yeild was dry wieght.

Also some plants known to be fairly weak compared to some others, can be quite bitter, even more bitter than the ones known to be stronger. It is a complicated topic.

So then what does a bitter taste indicate? Is not mescaline bitter? Maybe these taste testers were eating a part of the plant that contained the least concentration?

i sampled a kk242 last summer-about 40cm worth, with really no noticible effects-a bit of a zing-but definately no eileen!!!!and it didnt taste bitter at all, rather like a cucumber, i scoffed it raw with no dramas.But maybee a mature specimen of kk242 would be kikass??? i had a cutting and ate the seasons growth-if that makes sense?

I just did a T/A assay on some commercial "cuzcoensis" incense. I am skilled at biological extractions and can produce reliable results. The commercial product came in @ .037% T/A where even the Backeberg clone has given .12% from older mature specimens.I intend to assay (note assay not bioassay :) ) the KK242 clone I purchased as a peruvianus and post results sometime this winter. Not that my singular results are of any particular value. But perhaps over time a general range for various clones in circulation could be established...

WR

ive been wondering bot this correlation for a while

i have scops that are EXTREMELY bitter and ones that are tatsless

the one thats tatsteless is known to be a dud

in contrast i have tatsed wedges of bridgesii i know is concosidered excellent and no bitterness

its still a mystery

Hey Rev.....

The Bridgesii I was talking about .... was the one I got from FF just a couple of weeks ago.....which are doing GREAT...thanks.....!!!!

So......Bitterness is not a direct indicator of Alkaloid content....?????

[ 20. September 2005, 04:14: Message edited by: Humanfuel ]

I also noticed this recently on a SAB Bridgesii Monstrose, I kept edging my tongue towards it like your finger towards a hot frypan thinking it would be incredibly bitter and when I finaly gave it a lick it was as plain as cucumber.

AndyAmine.:

and when I finaly gave it a lick it was as plain as cucumber.

LOL

yep exactly the same expectation and suprise :)

i munched on eileen too and nope not bitter at all - or hardly

omar is very bitter atm

tho another clone 2 weeks ago was plain as cucumber

one bridgesii tatsed is moderately bitter

another barely anything

one scop is tatseless

one is extremely bitter

one red spined peruv is tastless

another seedling is moderately bitter

my standard pach is moderately bitter

a monstrose is also moderately bitter

i have no idea whats going on

but in order of bitterness and species its been

Scop

Pach - omar

(very big gap)

Eileen

bridgesii monstrose

peruvianus

pachanoi (FCG)

bridgesii

(tatseless)

KK242

this is only applicable this week and 2 weeks before

who knows whatll happen in the next 2 weeks...?

itd be nice if the tatse teste could be run by at least 5 people and correlated to TLC or GCMS data

one day

Could the alkaloid be bound in some organic molecular complex, maybe related to mucilage or some polysaccharide, thus masking the taste but perhaps making for a more slimy plant?

I wonder if mescaline can be bonded with other molecules in such a way that upon ingestion would release mescaline, but would prevent the detection of mescaline via GCMS analysis?

Perhaps bitterness has more to do with iso-quinolones than the more sought after alkaloids.

I tasted a SS short form bridge monstrose recently, and it had a bitter after-taste, but nothing to make one cringe.

I haven't found bitterness to be variable so far and it also has been a good indicator of potential.

While the dark green is bitter I'm sure there is something else in there that helps takes the edge off. I have a plant that while the dark green is bearable the white meat is totally unpalatable from the vascular core outwards due to extreme bitterness.