The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Superglued Grafts?

Hi,

i heard from many people that they superglue their grafts. What kind of glue do you use? I use uhu superglue without solvents. I ask myself if it´s possible to contaminate a grafted plant via applied superglue.What kind of chemical ingredients is contained in commercial superglue? Please let me know how you think about that.

Besides i´m interested in the time you wait for supergluing after making the cuts. I superglued fresh cuttings and did not mention any problems or contaminations. Is it better to first let the cuts heal and then to apply the glue?

EG

wow thats new to me. y do you need to glue though?? mine stick together fine.

That´s a good question ... It´s not a must but in most cases it helped to give the grafted plants a good start. Using glue, i could have forgotten them outside during a blizzard and they would probably still feel quite comfortable and relaxed :)

That's a very good idea! I would think it'd be best to glue straight away.

Superglue makes a great band-aid/stitch for cuts, particularly on the hand area. There is actually a medical grade superglue that is basically the same as the cheap stuff only hideously expensive because it's sterile.

I belive "superglue" was first marketed at that army or maybe even made directly for army during Vietnam as an emergancy sealer for cuts and wounds.

I know Ive used it in a fix.. I sliced my Thumb open a few months back, my Mum said I would need stitches but its healed ok and I washed it off with acetone and Isocol. stings but works..

I think that new BandAid brand liquid bandage stuff works almost as well and its much better for you.. perhpahs this would be a good option for Cacti?

[ 15. August 2005, 04:16: Message edited by: AndyAmine. ]

I have seen in the plant section of the hardware store they have "grafting glue." Anyone used or seen this? Perhaps this be safer than using superglue as it would be designed to be used on open plant wounds. Only one way to find out.

nothin new ..have tried it myself ...you have to be really careful with it ..only put glue on the very outer dark green edge ..its easy to screw up ,and end in glue goin everywhere and thats bad for the cactus. its really not worth trying with anything precious like lophs , it does work if you get it right but just as easy with trad grafting methods. oh yeah many times with stuck fingers to cactus :rolleyes: not funny.... :D

My vet uses superglue instead of sutures for stitching up spayed cats so it can't be that toxic. They said it dissolves internally and is digested by the body.

The glue is not used to stick the graft to the cactus but rather to seal the edges until it heals. The plant will outgrow it once healed.

If you get it in between the graft and the stock it can gum up the vascular bundle and defeat the graft taking.

maybe one could use it to callus things???? leave for a week then apply to give a instant callus.

i wonder if given time a cactus could callous without air?

ie. cut with sterile knife apply liquid bandaid or superglue or what have you and leave in a light warm location

Super glue being effective for grafting plants doesn't surprise me at all.

I and a lot of other marine aquarists have used it with great success in propagating corals which are probable far more sensitive than most plants.

Hi DOM,

thankx for the cool Info. In case i should emigrate and wanted to grow some corals, this is very good to know! I unfortunately don´t have an ocean yet. No corals and no sea beanes :( damn