The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Sacrelegion

What would you recommend a first time grower?

hey guys, ive never grown any cacti before, just bought em big enough to "brew". Does anyone have any suggestions/pointers on growing a good brewable cacti? Which is strongest versus weight versus time to grow? which tastes the best and which is the easiest to grow and all that? Thanks alot dudes. Ill order from whoever gets the most votes :D

Prickly pear taste pretty good.

lol, sounds like all of ours dream cactus. let us know when you find it..........

Ok ill promote myself then

funkyfungus.org

see the cactus section

incl. Icaros seeds which have a good rep

if u want to try seeds

i also have plenty of pachanoi

and some other specimens like Peruvianus and others

i think all these trichs will be fine

Ive been to denmark and i cant see any problem so long as they have good drainage in the winter

SAB, herbalistics and the truffula patch alos sell other types. no shortage of selection!

rev

Hey Rev, have you seen good germination with your batch of Icaro seed? I got absolutely 0% on the ones I started a couple of months ago. Knize seed under identical conditions yielded from 0% to upwards of 80% germination, depending on variety.

I was rather eager for the Icaro genetics too, based on the reputation of the plant tissue he offers. His seed and dried torch are supposedly sourced near Matucana, at 2200 meters.

imcurious about how strong icaros cacti really are. he only uses the outter green skin so its hardly saying the plants are potent. i hope he doesnt harvest them from nature, need 10kg's of cactus for 1kg's of powder and if your only using the outter green tissue well shit thats maybe 20% of the mass (probably less) so thats 50kgs of cactus for 1kg of dried stuff.......

I would suggest you grow cacti from seed and look for whatever you are looking for in your seedlings.

As for suppliers of seed, hmm why not try a few?

I am partial to those that offer far more than psychoactive species, they often have better prices and germination rates.

I might get some Icaro seed in a trade, sad to hear it might just be soil decoration.

The best seed I have ever grown in terms of germination and vigor came from someone who already posted to this thread. Its shame he doesn't grow the stuff for sale. I wonder if he will have another batch this summer? He should PM me too (at rezik) to see about setting a time frame for a future shipment or I will just PM him eh?

[ 09. June 2005, 23:53: Message edited by: Archaea ]

I believe T. bridgesii v. monstrose is the compromise you're looking for.

cheers dudes, .. ill save this page for future reference. It's so kickass to stumble upon an roots operation like this. Im so pissed to be on the other side of the country for the conference deal

The T. bridgesii monstrose is definitely a cool plant. I just got this guy yesterday.

47b5d829b3127cce9278abf8bfd700000015108CYsWzhm3ba

47b5d829b3127cce9278abf93ee600000015108CYsWzhm3ba

Apparently just a couple of the pieces are needed?

yeah icaro seed is fine this batch

mines coming up now

maybe u had an old batch

normal_icaros.jpg

a few seeds had fruit remnants but nothing a presoak and rinse wont fix. which is a good idea anyway

the seeds themslves are very nic n fat

but then ive always found peruvianus easier than its relatives from seed