The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
medicinedan

germination

hey peoples, is there much point in planting any trich or peyote seeds at the moment? weather over here is about 20 during the day, dropping to around 5-10 degrees at night. Will they germinate?? any tips... im keen as mustard. How about cuttings? or would they rot?

Dunno about right now Daniel, but mine that I planted about 6-8 weeks ago are going great!

T. Bridgesii

T. Macrogonus

T. Peruvianus

etc.

They're killing it, and we are getting frost up where I am! So, they should survive 20degrees no problem!

That said, mine germinated about 6 weeks ago, which is a bit different to trying to GET THEM to germinate at this time of year. But, I know that some succulents and cacti actually like high temperature fluctuations to germinate. Sceletium for example, likes high day temps and low night temps. With a big range in-between, for germination.

So, maybe it won't have any negative effect if it gets cold at night?

Try germinating them indoors if you're really worried. Should stay much more constant, rather than having large fluctuations.

I wouldnt try to germ them right now unless you have a heatmat..

One thing you're gonna have to learn with cacti is patience :)

If you don't have somewhere to grow them indoors over winter, I'd say wait. Start them in spring and you'll have much better results, healthier cacti in the long run, etcetera.

If you have no cacti in your garden right now, then you probably don't have a lot of black rot fungus either. However if you start 'em up now, the rain and cold weather could easily be an attack vector for it.

You could probably start 'em up now, and you could get away with it even, but six months ain't gonna kill you :)

My advice is to spend from now until spring researching everything you can so when spring rolls around you'll be ready and much more prepared.

However, if you're really really really really really keen to start em now, hit www.ethnobotanica.org/wiki up, where the Lorax has put a tried and true (and good!) method for germinating Trichocereus seeds up.