The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Salvi

L. decipiens germination

Hey guys, I have just a quick question on some germinating Lophophora decipiens seeds. If there are root hairs visible above soil, should I attempt to cover them, or will this just cause more harm than good?

Thanks!

if most of he roots are in the soil,... then leave them,... if most of the root is above ground you can cover them. keep in mind that for the first few weeks - possibly up to a month, it is probably not even nececary for them to take up nutrients from the soil.

The root hairs... for the first few weeks are very fragile..... and I have read somewhere that even a water droplet can damage them..... so I would leave them.... at least until a proper root system develops....!!!!

The roots will find their own way down into the soil, don't touch them as they are immensely fragile.

Plenty of plants germinate on top of the soil and then make their way underground, and I'm pretty sure that in the wild lophs aren't an exception :)

I get the feeling in this case the seed hasn't fully germinated as I've seen it a few times, the above ground section of the loph is still inside the seed while only the roothairs are out. Once the seed germinates completely, the roots will be pushed downwards hopefully.

Yeah, mine always start like this. The roots eventually find their way to the nearest bit of earth, and then they pull the cactus upright.

Even the trichocereus, which are columnar not round, will first sprout laying down on their sides sometimes. After a few weeks, they are standing up of their own accord.

The roots know what to do, don't worry.

But the roots look like hairs, not cotton wool. If you've got cotton wool looking stuff on top of your pots, it sounds like fungus to me.

best of luck.

Ben

how long does it usually take for tricherous to germinate. I planted about 25 seeds 1-4mm deep in 3 different pots, three different soils. I have then in humid enviro. They been there for 2weeks now, im getting anxious

I have had trich seeds germinate in 3 days, and about 5-6 weeks. Most seem to germinate in about two weeks for me. If they will grow then you should see something pretty soon.

I surface sow, and then gently mist the seeds in.

[ 11. May 2005, 03:48: Message edited by: Archaea ]

Daniel, they take between 1 and 10 weeks, or so.

But, you made the same mistake I did my first time:

The seeds just go ON TOP of the soil. Don't dust them with a fine coating of sand, don't put them a few millimetres deep, just sit them on top of the soil and mist them with water.

Keep waiting, you should still get one or two pop-up, but not a huge amount, if they are buried.

I've had times when one seedling germinates after 5 days, the rest germinate a week or two later, and you think they are all done. And then about 10 weeks later another one might pop-up!

Just keep it all moist for the next month or two at least.

also, check out the wiki. There is some good info on there for germination of cactus.

:)

[ 11. May 2005, 03:21: Message edited by: Benzito ]

Thanks for the replies guys, just wanted to make sure they weren't gonna croak on me. I ordered my seeds from Mesa Garden and I want to give them a huge thumbs up. At least 7 out of 10 seeds have sprouted in 5 days. :D

I've just got them in a mix of commercial potting soil with a generous helping of perlite in a clay pot on a heating pad.

I like to wait till they germinate as said then mulch with a coarse material

beit gravel or even coarse vermiculite

some authors say sow on top of the soil and cover in a thin sprinkling of said materials

i reckon sifted quartz crushings or fine fine river pebbles froma quart area would be ideal - if i could get them

inert and let light through

Rev, the times I've dusted my seeds with river sand before hand, it reduced germination rates.

Now, I dusted it through a sieve, and you could still _just_ see the seeds. I'm talking a very fine coating.

And even that seemed to reduce germination rates.

Rev actually seems to have much more knowledge and experience than I do, when it comes to cacti, so I reckon you should probably follow his advice. But, I just found that uncovered seeds seem to work best in my climate, as far as succesful germination.

I crushed up some rocks and sorta mulched around the germinated ones. I don't know if I did any good or not, but we'll see. I'll post a pic in a minute.

Unfortunately a couple of 'em got washed away when I sprinkled a bit of water on. (I know, bottom water them, but I was getting impatient)

47b5db30b3127cce91fe31db0e8200000016108CYsWzhm3ba

47b5db30b3127cce91fe31c50e9c00000016108CYsWzhm3ba

Thought I'd throw in some pics of that datura as seen in my hydro thread.

47b5db30b3127cce91fe31c10e9800000015108CYsWzhm3ba

47b5db30b3127cce91fe31cc8fa500000015108CYsWzhm3ba

[ 13. May 2005, 04:37: Message edited by: Salvi ]

This has probably been discussed before, but I can't seem to come up with anything..Is there any good ways of getting rid of that green moss that likes to grow on the soil?

A little update...

47b5db39b3127cce919cb6cf52e800000015108CYsWzhm3ba

47b5db39b3127cce919cb6b4d3a300000015108CYsWzhm3ba

Salvi, I'm at work so don't have the time to do the search myself, but look for a few posts I made.

They were titled something along the lines of "germinating peyote seedlings" and/or "germinating lophophora seedlings".

It was discussed pretty thoroughly. I bought the fungicide recommended in that thread, and it worked a treat for me!

No more green fungus!

quote:

Ask, and ye shall recieve...

*receive

Sorry man, I had to get ya since you always nail everyone.

Thanks for the links, guys.

Now, this was actually a fungus, Benzito? Mine might be, but I'm pretty sure it's moss. Does fungicide kill moss?

Edit: Ahh, I see, that copper oxychloride. I suppose that would probably kill moss?

[ 20. May 2005, 20:14: Message edited by: Salvi ]

My bad. Piece of pie and all that

How come everyone has fungus problems with their cactus seed except me? :P