The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Agamemnon

maguey cactus!!

Im starting on a collection of agave

with special attention to those used to make maguey, pulque and distilled spirits. But for starters i take any species i can find that looks like it gets a good heart or looks special

Itd be nice to get the tequila agave and i may have a source but itd be hard to verify till it flowers (some time away!)

SAB has some on sale in the nursery i noticed at EB4

havent asked if its the same source. probably.

Yep, we got plenty of Agave tequilana. Good thing is we have a couple of sources and both look the same, so we are confident we have the right one.

We are just waiting for the plants to root a bit more before putting them on the webstore.

There's plenty of Agave growing wild here what am I looking for in regards to ID'ing the tequilana one?

On 28/12/2004 at 4:41 AM, mescalito said:

There's plenty of Agave growing wild here what am I looking for in regards to ID'ing the tequilana one?

Most likely the wild growing agave, is a variety of agave americana (Maguey) that is invasive and sometimes feral. My ID of Agave Tequilana is pretty average,  being that is has finer spines on the edges and tip of leaves, which are thin and narrow. It is a bluey color, but you would be better off getting a picture from elsewhere.

Agave Tequilana is a lot easier to obtain than it was, as the Mexican government has given Australia permission to grow it. It is grown in Queensland on a large scale, for biofuel and under the condition that any spirt made is not called Tequila or Mezcal, as it is the national drink of Mexico. Permission has been given to Australia to grow it, because we do not have the altitude of Mexico and the spirt is said to taste like shit.

Locally made Agave spirt is available, I have not tried yet, as Tequila and Mezcal suffice.