The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Vanda

euphorbia horror

I've just spent 4 hours in an emergency ward in sheer agony. I got just one drop of Euphorbia sap into my eye. 24 hour later my eye's still very sore and I'm very lucky to have retained my eye sight. I had heard the stories before, now I know what's all about, please be carefull if you have any of those plants.

Vanda

Shit far out Vanda, What type was it? Some are worse than others. Did it squirt or did you get it on your fingers and rub your eyes?

Yeah you always have to be careful with Euphorbia's. Wear gloves at least and preferably goggles as well, or at least sunglasses.

yep, would love to know the species. we have quite a few here.

Hi Vanda,

I have tried the exactly same whilst moving a giant "Cowboy Cactus" aka Euphorbia trigona. The pain I suffered was immense, I have never been in such pain before or since.

I actually called the emergency room, but the only advice they could give me was to flush the eye - they didn't know the toxic effect of the milk sap. The next day with my eye still being sore I found out that euphorbia sap can leave permanent eye damage, if not treated correctly.

I'm glad I flushed my eye for 6 hours.

Ditto Vanda's caution!

greets,

ASh

Wow Vanda, glad to see you've still got your eyesight. Your experience prompted me to do a little more research on the topic; I had no idea how dangerous it is. It's lucky for me to learn this prior to propagating a bunch of offsets from one of mine.

Jon

• Like 1

I'm not sure what species that is yet. I'm going to get an ID as soon as it flowers. No, I did not rub it in, just got splashed (a single drop in my eye). I look after the cacti and succulent collection at RBG Melbourne, and the plant in question was a donation. The agony I had to endure I can only compare to the ear ache or really bad tooth ache, although I think it exceeds both of those put together...I'm planning to get a cutting of it for me to keep and preferably get burried with it one day. good looking plant too. I know some species can blind you instantly, so I consider myself very lucky. I will wear goggles every time I handle Euphorbia from now on...I guess all I'm saying is be very, very carefull with Euophorbia. I've had heard the stories, now I know what's like. It's not a joke. They're very pretty but also can be deadly.

cheers

Vanda

Brian, DevAnce, Thanks for your contribution. I don't know where you got this material from, but this pretty much summs it up and brings memories back. I know the guy who is a real euphorbia freak and has just about every euphorbia under the sun in his backyard, so I'm planning to give him a ring first thing on Monday and share my experiences. They are beautifull though...I consider myself lucky and babtised by fire(literally).

reminds me of the time i was putting mozzie repelant on... extra strong ofcors and when i closed lid a big glob went in my eye!

damn that was painful!!

more painful than being stunk on the eyelid by a wasp (had that happen too)

things just like my eyes

ill be mroe careful with cacti now too i thought it was a precaution coz may caus irritation didnt know how bad it was. How bad is it on the skin? it leaves big red itchy patchs doesnt it?

im surprised my mate didnt get into strife when he humped a very large african one when very very drunk 1 night

he didnt even get scratched!

theyre commonly used to burn off skin cancers in folk medicine