The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Thelema

white spots/red scale

hi, ive got quite a few white spots on my cacti, some are big, like 5c piece, others very small. Just under the tough skin, like de-chlorophylled.

Also have some funny red spots, more on the outside of the tough skin.

Anyone know what these are?

Well, somet time ago I tried to increase the "power" of my greenhouse in the winter by installing some reflective sheets. I ended up burning a few. The colour was not white, but a fairly pale brown, the cacti didn't die, I guess they'll grow out of the scars eventually. The skin always remained tough, never went soft. About the red colour...my astrophytum that was sunburnt, had a red colour surrounding the sunburnt part, so maybe this is the case with yours. Then again, it's autumn, might be something else.....

Jon

Could be scale (the white spots) in which case you should buy a can of "Confidor" around $10 from a hardware shop. As for the red spots, how big are they? if they could be red spider mites but these are usually too small to see. The confidor will kill them too!

whitespots01.jpg

is that what you mean liquid wolf? as this is seem to only happen at the bottom. The top seem to be fine.

:cool:

my white dots are nothing like that.

I think mine have something to do with rot.

Beeppeyo: I am pretty damn sure that, that is a BAD case of scale you got there and using the "Confidor" will fix that up.

Thelema: Have you got any pics you can post? Rot should not be occuring if you have good drainage and have spread the soil at a reasonable level (not covering too much of the green cactus part) so I am unsure as to what it can be.

Beeppeyo - some of that damage WAS scale, but isn't anymore. The grey scar tissue is left behind after any injury. Large blotches are usually caused by black death (once it has healed), while small ones are cause by injuries and insect attack. If it doesn't scrape off easily with a fingernail then it isn't scale.