The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gerbil

nursery, brunswick st. Vic

Has anyone in vic been to the nursery that is one brunswick st?

Was in there yesterday and they have a great little cacti area.

Picked up a lovely Matucana madisoniorum. Have never seen this species before, what caught my eye was that it looked quite similar to lophophora plants. Will take a pic. soon.

if you happen to be around there, it's worth having a look. (they have a fair few astrophytums too)

ah i can't really remember the name, its around the retro and the evelyn pub, but on the other side of the road, you can't really miss it. It's on a corner if that helps.

just a bump,

the shop actually is called 'fitzroy nursery', and they just had a new batch of cacti in this morning.

Picked up a really nice t. bridgesii, which by the looks of it is grafted onto a t. bridgesii v. monstrose. (will look properly into ID, don't know enough yet)

They still have lots of little T. grandiflora, some large cereus peruvianus with many thick stocks. Various other trichocereus aswell.

Some good one metre +, thick trunks too.

oh and a tennis ball sized Matucana madisoniorum.

No t. pachanoi or t. peruvianus though if people are after them.

I'm quite impressed with this store, there are too many nurseries that stock the boring old standard grafts like those bannana cactus. :mad:

Better get in quick, they are going fast.

oh, and some really nice, large, t. scop. aswell.

[ 12. December 2003, 16:15: Message edited by: gerbil ]

A friend of mine used to work there years ago, he mentioned that they used to sell grafted Lophophoras.

I guess they don't anymore.

Quite a cool lill' shop :)

I'll have to ask him again about it.

[ 18. December 2003, 17:32: Message edited by: Ed Dunkel ]

speaking of cacti merchants theres a guy at the VIc market who has a wide range of cacti including Lophophoras and trichocereus all types

and he is a very friendly guy

check him out

there's also the cactus garage in bayswater.

they sell lophs and trichs.

and i think the vic market one is a company called 'cactusland' or something similar. They said that if you are interested in certain species, tell them during the week and they will try to bring it/source it for the market times.

Ah i'll have to ask the brunswick people about loph grafts. thanks for the info ed :)

have yet to go to the bayswater one, had alot of people say its a great place, must get there soon.

thanks guys

the bloke at the vicmarket can actually set you up with three foot long slices of pedro and a number of grafted niceties. If you interested let me know.