The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
M S Smith

My Book Ad (if you don't mind): Narcotic and Hallucnogenic Cacti of the New World

Many of you have in the past received various versions or sections of my manuscript, Narcotic and Hallucinogenic Cacti of the New World, or else have seen it at either The Last Peyotero or TheForbiddenFruit.com web sites (see http://www.theforbiddenfruit.com/articles/...tic%20Cacti.htm ). I have not made any online additions to the material since the summer of 1998 and have recently bound the newest material for sale in a 90 page 5.5” x 8” perfect bound book. There are no illustrations besides the jacket, making it laden with information regarding 68 cacti species and over 20 non-cacti species. Many of the species have to do with Huichol and Tarahumara Indian peyote ethnology, but numerous Andean Trichocereus species, and even Amazonian cacti, are noted for their use in altering consciousness. I have also included a detailed reckoning of the Lophophora genus and its many "varieties.” This is a very multidisciplinary work that touches on a wide range of area’s, including botany, ethnobotany, cultural anthropology, mythology, chemistry, psychopharmacology, and even the travels and travails of the contemporary “entheogen” community, those who use such plants to “generate God within.”

Narcotic and Hallucinogenic Cacti of the New World (2000) is very much a specialty item that has taken years of attention and research. It is academically based and brings up many items for the first time in a generally available book. While clearing up many modern rumors surrounding these plants it also clarifies ethnological aspects that have been misquoted or misrepresented in prior publications, particularly in Adam Gottlieb’s Peyote and Other Psychoactive Cacti (1997).

Don't think the book compares to the online version. The book covers much more material many times over. NHC discuss’ the following cacti as well as many others that are not directly mentioned in the table of contents.

Here are those plants directly mentioned in the table of contents:

Ariocarpus agavoides

Ariocarpus fissuratus

Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus

Ariocarpus retusus

Armatocereus laetus

Astrophytum asterias

Astrophytum capricorne

Astrophytum myriostigma

Aztekium ritterii

Carnegiea gigantea

Coryphantha compacta

Coryphantha elephantidens

Coryphantha macromeris

Coryphantha macromeris var. runyonii

Coryphantha palmerii

Coryphantha rosea

Dolichothele longimamma

Echinocactus spp.

Echinocactus grandis

Echinocactus grusonii

Echinocactus visnaga

Echinocereus salm-dyckianus

Echinocereus triglochidiatus

Epiphyllum sp. unknown

Epithalantha micromeris

Epostoa lanata

Gymnocalycium spp.

Leuchtenbergia principis

Lophophora diffusa

Lophophora diffusa var. koehresii

Lophophora fricii

Lophophora jourdaniana

Lophophora williamsii

Lophophora williamsii var. caespitosa

Lophophora williamsii var. decipiens

Lophophora williamsii var. lutea

Mammillaria spp.

Mammillaria craigii

Mammillaria grahamii

Mammillaria grahamii var. oliviae

Mammillaria heydeii

Mamillopsis senilis

Matucana madisoniorum

Neoraimondia macrostibas

Obregonia denegrii

Opuntia cylindrica

Opuntia leptocaulis

Opuntia sp. unknown

Pachycereus pecten-aboriginum

Pachycereus pringlei

Pelecyphora aselliformis

Pelecyphora pseudopectinata

Selenicereus grandiflorus

Solisia pectinata

Strombocactus disciformis

Trichocereus bridgesii

Trichocereus grandiflorus

Trichocereus macrogonus

Trichocereus pachanoi

Trichocereus peruvianus

Trichocereus peruvianus (short spine)

Trichocereus scopulicola

Trichocereus sp. "Juul's Giant"

Trichocereus sp. unknown

Trichocereus terscheckii

Trichocereus validus

Trichocereus werdermannianus

Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele

Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus

NHC also address’ “peyote” plants in the Bromeliaceae, Compositae, Crassulaceae, Cyperaceae, Leguminoseae, Orchidaceae, and Solanaceae families.

Narcotic and hallucinogenic Cacti of the New World is available for $17.95 + $3.00 shipping (in USA) by sending cash, check, or money order payable to “Trout’s Notes” to:

Trout's Notes

PO Box 161061

Austin, TX USA 78716

Write to [email protected] for more information on international shipping or wholesale prices.

My 14 page Closet Cactus Care (with photos and illustrations) is also available from Trout's Notes for $4.95 + $1.00 shipping or free shipping if ordered with NHC. CCC covers seed and soil selection, sterilization techniques, sowing, creating the right environment, watering, outdoor growing, transplanting, grafting, winter storage, and growing for aesthetics.

Visit Mind Books online at Promind.com to order both publications online.

Torsten, don't you carry NHC and CCC for those in your neck of the woods, or outback in your case?

Michael

Yes, I do.

The current exchange rates make them rather unattractively priced though, even though I don't make any profit on them.

Hey, nor do I make a profit! Actually you would probably make more of a profit than me. I have yet to see a penny.

Originally posted by M S Smith:

Hey, nor do I make a profit!  Actually you would probably make more of a profit than me.  I have yet to see a penny.

This wasn't directed at you, but at the general problem of exchange rates at the moment. I know that you're not in this for the money !!

I try to sell this book, cos I think it is great for all beginners and anyone who wants a quick species overview. I think it would sell real well at just under AU$20, but for that the US would have to slide into a massive recession.

Our customs laws don't help either as this would surely be retained if checked. This means I can't import it in bulk, which drives up postage costs (about 40% of the price).

It's a difficult situation and people in australia just have to deal with it for the time being.

I've got the feeling we will sell a few at the conference though smile.gif

<>

Ugh, no no no! This is not a book designed for beginners nor is it a quick overview. So what is my book under, Ott's Pharmacotheon or Schultes and Hofmann's Plants of the Gods or their Botany and Chemistry of Hallucinogens? Not even, you would have to do all the library and journal article research that I have done as well as look at every generally available book on the subject and then take the time to compare and inquire at depth. And don't even say Gottlieb, his Peyote and Other Psychoactive Cacti is not even for beginners it is so misleading. It is also full of mistakes that show he shouldn't even be writing about cacti to begin with. He's a profit writer in my opinion, nothing more. And Plants of the Gods, it's ghost writen.

NHC is THE book on the subject of Peyote cactus. K. Trout's work doesn't even compare to what my book does. K. Trout, though discussing ethnobotany of mescaline comtaining cactus and others, does not address the ethnobotany of the many peyote plants that I have. Nor does any other single work touch on some of the more ritualistic and ceremonial plants and their usage as I have. NHC takes the bulk of all that is known and mentioned in other publications on quite a few obscure and rarely mentioned plants and puts it all in one place.

Sorry to sound so abrupt about this, but the reason I put together NHC was because everything out there was only for beginners and a brief overview of species. I will continue to stand behind my amateur book as being THE book on the subject and challenge anyone to present me with evidence of a more full and complete book on the subject.

Respectfully,

Michael

Originally posted by M S Smith:

Ugh, no no no! This is not a book designed for beginners nor is it a quick overview.

I think you misunderstood me. Just because a book is concise, accurate and complete does not take it out of reach for beginners. The reason why I view your book in this way is because what you have put together is easy to understand and structured in a way that makes sense to everyone. This stands in stark contrast to a book like SC2, which is huge and hard to manage. That does not make SC2 a better book. SC2 is for bookworms and for background information. Your book has it all but without the noise.

..you would have to do all the library and journal article research that I have done as well as look at every generally available book on the subject and then take the time to compare and inquire at depth.

That's right. The very reason why I would recommend your book to virtually anyone. Especially to those who don't want to go weeding through piles of inaccurate papers and drug-lore orientated books.

And don't even say Gottlieb,

That would be an insult wink.gif

NHC is THE book on the subject of Peyote cactus. K. Trout's work doesn't even compare to what my book does. K. Trout, though discussing ethnobotany of mescaline comtaining cactus and others, does not address the ethnobotany of the many peyote plants that I have. Nor does any other single work touch on some of the more ritualistic and ceremonial plants and their usage as I have.

Another reason why your book is suitable for everyone.

Sorry to sound so abrupt about this, but the reason I put together NHC was because everything out there was only for beginners and a brief overview of species.

Just because books or papers are inaccurate and incomplete does not mean that they are for the benefit of beginners etc. A good book with all the relevant and accurate information, structured in an efficient way is much more suitable for beginners so that they get an accurate and solid grounding right from the beginning. Why should I recommend Gottlieb's crap to a beginner, or SC for a species overview if I can recommend your book in both cases.

I will continue to stand behind my amateur book as being THE book on the subject and challenge anyone to present me with evidence of a more full and complete book on the subject.

No one is doubting you. You have achieved much and your early work was the basis of research for most of us. There is really no need to be so defensive.

The back cover states:

"Valuable for amateurs and professionals alike......" and I fully agree.

[This message has been edited by Torsten (edited 14 January 2001).]

Your right, no need to be so defensive, my apologies. Damn, I wish I wasn't so freakin' human! And by the way, the leaning letters that makes it sort of even more defensive; I have no idea how they got they way, I must have hit a button somewehere that made that happen. I intended regular font. Thanks for the support.

Humbly,

Michael

[This message has been edited by M S Smith (edited 14 January 2001).]

hey, that's cool. I realise I could have phrased my initial bit a little better so as to mention professionals as well, but in my position with Shaman Australis I am mostly concerned with people who are starting out and I want to give them the best possible start without overwhelming them. Most 'professionals' know you and your book anyway so this was not on my mind to mention. Just as long as you (and everyone else) know that at no point I was trying to diminish the real value of your book.

I think the italics come from square bracket open, then i, then square bracket closed.

Damn, am I buggin' out or what?

Just wait till the first mainstrain politio-bastard comes out critising my book. [You won't have seen defensive till that happens!]

Great place you have here Torsten, and with good people to boot.

I guess that's not what you mean by square brackets right?

For someone who was interested in the cultivation, preparation/extraction, and pharmacology of psychoactive cacti, I would recommend K. Trout's book. MSS's book has little in the way of preparation and pharmacological information, and although it has some useful notes on the growing conditions various species like, it assumes a basic understanding of cacticulture. Trout's book is essential for such practical matters.

MSS's book is an excellent book on the botany and classification of cacti, especially for some of the more obscure "false peyotes." Much of this information is not found in Trout's book, nor in many of the various non-drug cactus books in my library. Its got some very good information on how some of these plants earned their place in the "false peyote" category. If you consider yourself in any way either a cactus geek or an ethnobotanist, you require this book. The only suggestion I would have for future editions would be to provide pictures for each of the species.

Both books are essential for anyone who's really into cacti. Neither one is "better" than the other, they are complementary.

Of course, there is a third book which belongs on the true cactophile's bookshelf, "Peyote Religion" by Omer C. Stewart. This book is an EXTREMELY detailed study of various peyote religions in the US. For those who are interested in the anthropology and history of peyotism, this book leaves both Trout's and MSS' books in the dust. The only thing I found missing was that this book does not go into detail about Huichol use. Nor, obviously, does it discuss South American use of San Pedro. There are books on the Huichol peyote religion, though I haven't yet read them... but unfortunately I've never heard of any books focused on the religious and cultural aspects of San Pedro.

Uhh, the sh*ts gonna hit the fan.... wink.gif

BTW michael, you have the right brackets, but you didn't put the 'i' inbetween. I can't show you, cos it will just disappear as a tag. Just think of it as the same as below, but with square brackets.

(i) blah blah (/i)

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but Michael, this sounds awesome! By chance, do you still have any copies? Are you planning/have you made any new versions?

Really quite interested :lol:

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but Michael, this sounds awesome! By chance, do you still have any copies? Are you planning/have you made any new versions?

Really quite interested :lol:

also, if you read this, could you see it in your heart to share some information regarding Matucana madisoniorum, as this is sometimes asked about, with little information out there for people.

ive got this book

but i also have the one you need

and that is the 2003 reprint and update

sacramental and medicinal cacti

try rainbow gardens bookshop

i def use this book as a reference frequently

its a necessity to get up to 2003 speed on dead leads and new leads

then go to the nook to see how far its gone since

does this go into teh classification of cacti, namely trichs and lophs? i have been wanting a book that discusses the REAL differences between the various loph species/varieties etc.