The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ramon

Companion plant for Lophophora

Guest Ramon

Seeing as it is generally stated the Loph's don't like full sunshine and mine do seem to get sunburned.

Thinking of planting something in the same pot to provide some shade.

Can anybody suggest a good companion plant for it. Thinking that a nitrogen fixer might make a good spiritual partner for my plant.

Guest Methfreak
Originally posted by Ramon:

Seeing as it is generally stated the Loph's don't like full sunshine and mine do seem to get sunburned.

Thinking of planting something in the same pot to provide some shade.

Why not use shade cloth?

Can anybody suggest a good companion plant for it. Thinking that a nitrogen fixer might make a good spiritual partner for my plant.

You probably couldnt grow anything that has nice shady leaves in the same pot as Peyote...as im sure youll know..the pot would be a little too dry for most plants....

Punica granatum grows in rocky dirt in arid areas of about 200mm annual rainfall. I think that matches Pyeote rather well. The leaves are small, but the plant is very bushy and provides plenty of shade. There is a mini version available called Punica granatum 'nana', which grows to only 60 cm I think. We've got a few of these. There may be another problem though,as this is quite a vigorous plant and may interfere with the roots and may also deplete nutrients. Repotting it is no problem. It doesn't seem to mind rough treatment.

There are also plenty of succulents from africa that have largish leaves, including aloes.

Guest theobromus

Pomegranate is the tree of Jehovah. All right if you accept the Christianisation of the Peyote religion.

From Chapter 8 of Peyote, The Divine Cactus by Edward F. Anderson reticulated at http://www.erowid.org/plants/peyote/peyote...1.shtml#index-5

As stated earlier, peyote occurs in diverse habitats of the Chihuahuan Desert, and no particular plants are associated with it in all localities. Only Larrea tridentata (creosote bush) is found in more than 75 percent of the peyote sites studied; other plants commonly found with peyote and their percentage of occurrence in the sites analyzed are: [35]*Jatropha dioica (leatherplant)—70 percent

*Echinocereus spp. (hedgehog cactus)—70 percent

*Opuntia leptocaulis (pipestem cactus)—70 percent

*Prosopis laevigata (mesquite)—70 percent

*Agave lecheguilla (lechuguilla)—50 percent

*Echinocactus horizonthalonius (eagle claws cactus)—50 percent

*Mammillaria spp. (fishhook or nipple cactus)—50 percent

*Flourensia cernua (tarbush)—50 percent

*Acacia spp. (acacia)—40 percent

*Condalia spp. (lotebush)—40 percent

*Coryphantha spp.—40 percent

*Neolloydia spp.—40 percent

*Yucca filifera (yucca)—40 percent

*Hamatocactus spp.—40 percent

Reference

(34.Anderson, "Biogeography, Ecology, and Taxonomy," p. 302.)

35.Ibid., pp. 302-03.

I don't know about the others but Prosopis are not only nitrogen-fixing shade trees but some absorb water from the atmosphere to survive in arid areas. Whether you would want to leave the shed leaves on the top of the soil to return the nutrients, I am not sure.

The creosote bush sounds as though it might repel some pests. They could be grown in a pot next to the peyote pot. The seeds are available. I would go for this one.

Guest reville

I have only ever seen one mesquite in australia and its P juliflora Found sporadically from geraldton up , mostly in the NW west aust

all are prohibited imports

http://agspsrv34.agric.wa.gov.au/agency/of.../Derby/mesq.htm

"Mesquite trees were initially hard to establish, but spread rapidly after a series of wet years. They have continued to spread in favourable seasons, but do not reduce in area during drought. They now infest many square kilometres of valuable river-front grazing land, especially in the Pilbara region of W.A. and other parts of the Australian tropics."

:)

[ 24. March 2005, 04:35: Message edited by: YoWiE ]

cant u just put the pot under anotehr plant? thats what i do for my more sensitive plants...

alternatively tho what about one of the more hardy aus natives?

I just keep my Peyote on my Bonsai table.

It has a square of shadecloth stretched out above it to keep debris from falling onto my little babies, but it also filters out all the direct sunlight.

It is positioned in the middle of the yard, underneath a bunch of gum trees. So there is light on them all day long, but never direct. And all the gum trees and a few surrounding fruit trees keep all the wind and weather at bay.

This is a great table for emergency situations when a plant is stressed or requires an emergency re-pot or something like that.

A nice shady, stable, quiet spot to chill out and recoup.

[ 24. March 2005, 14:15: Message edited by: Benzito ]

collect some caudiciform plants like adeniums and pachypodiums

they are deciduous and will be in leaf at the same time as the sun is hottest

the also require perfect drainage and dry overwintering

id be interested to know how spinifex and peyote get on. Itd be nice if they were good bedfellows.....

Who knows it might also be at home beneath a Mulga or other arid rangeland acacia

REV: "Who knows it might also be at home beneath a Mulga or other arid rangeland acacia"

That would make a nice oil painting!

id love to see that pic, clusters of lophs under acacia obtusifolia with trich pach on the sides.

hmm nice dreams