The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Dunkel

Tom Juul's Giant

Torsten (or anyone else),

Any chance of getting this Trichocereus sp. Tom Juul's Giant? Or does anyone know were to get this one in Oz.

E D

This is a very difficult plant to get at all. There are so few going around right now that it truly isn't available from any retailers. I have a couple which appear to be different plants themselves. Unfortunately even with my connections in the USA I have had a hard time finding more.

Michael

That is a shame.

What is the deal with the Tom Juul's Giant, is it a hybrid of some sort, a different species to the well know Trichocereus species or is a genetic anomaly of a T.pachanoi / peruvianus / etc..?

E D

[This message has been edited by Ed Dunkel (edited 29 September 2000).]

No one really knows at this point. There are some considerable differences in the fruit formation which K. Trout suggests make it quite distinct from the pach/peru complex. It is a wonderful plant and it quickly building up rumors of high alkaloid concentrations. But in the end I would say that most agree it is its own species.

Somebody give me a tip on how to post photos here and I'll put some up.

Michael

There is no upload function here yet, but you can put the pic up on any server and then ref it from here.

Who knows what this one is? The best guess is something collected from the wild but no one really knows. There are a number of these fat pachanoid things known. Hybrids or something else? Anything that can be said would be a guess at this point.

I finally visited Juul's old house in SF and through a wooden fence spotted a remainder of the originals and a huge clumping mother plant of Juul's Giant that could have been 20 foot tall growing under and through some trees and vines. It was hard to judge height due to how overgrown it was. (They seem to like the environment of being under trees) I took some fairly crappy photos I'll post.

The property has just been sold but apparently the previous owner let people do mass harvests of a large amount of assorted trichs prior to its sale. I learned of Juul's garden still existing when a friend had someone show up at his house with a pickup truck load of bridgesii logs from there.

If the past decade or so is any indication Juul's should steadily become more readily available. It actually is not at all hard to find or obtain if a person is willing to visit California in person during a time of year suitable for cuttings being made. They tend to be fat, mold/mildew prone and ship poorly unless extra time is allowed for healing.

Oasis in Sonoma probably has some nice ones left in 5-gallon pots, but there are at least several other sources for them.

Alkaloids in gc-ms have been all over the place suggesting a dynamic composition picture (ie whatever is there is subject to change) In one an isoquinoline was the predominate alkaloid despite reports of positive bioassays using the same exact column and harvest sample.

Its also growing in Oz so someday cuttings should be available there too. (What is growing there is from a cutting not seed)

I have one small specimen of this, but how does one check between A and B if they are indeed distinct?

Do you think people should undertake propagation by areole grafting for this species? Is it that desirable?

A truck load of bridgesii logs sounds like a fantasy of mine.

One company with an online site (in the US) sells 6-10 inch Juuls cuttings for $22 postage paid so its not that unavailable. I am not sure I should post a link here though.

I am not sure I should post a link here though.

why?

Some sites frown upon that, and some retailers have asked other sites to not put direct links.

Given who asked why: www.alliesonline.net/

Not a direct link but functional, check out their resources page too.

Some sites frown upon that, and some retailers have asked other sites to not put direct links.

The big T-man doesn't though, Archaea! :wink:

Check out the 'posting rules':

4) Commercial postings are permitted as long as they are relevant and not obtrusive.

5) Trading and advertising items for sale is welcome and encouraged!!