The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SirLSD

how long do i leave a cutting to callus?

2 weeks min if its warm and dry. otherwise more.

while in hospital i had optus cable and it had a show about cacti, and the guy dipped his fresh cuttings in sand before he put them aside to callus. is it just to prevent rotting or would it speed things up a bit? thanx

I let my trichs callus for only a couple of days, until it's dry and ready to plant. never had a problem. If it's a special cactus, let it go for longer.

Guest electro

What is "callus" ?

Not that i did any research or anything (and psobably have screwed it up) but i just took a 7cm cutting the other day from my t.bridgesii... I planted it within a few hrs (when it was mostly dry to the touch on the cut).. (it was planted into a mix of 2 parts potting mix, 2 parts sand, 2 parts coarse sand and topped off with a layer or smallish rocks [from the main plant]).

Have i already done this callus thing, if not is that going to be detrimental to the survival of my cutting ?

The cutting looks a1, but then again it only has been 2 days...

my understanding of callus is letting the cut surface dry, harden, and heal before planting (correct me if im wrong)

ok, its been 2 and a half weeks. might give them a couple more days. i plan to plant a couple horizontally. has anyone had experience with this? (trichs btw) any suggestions on how deep i actually plant them? id assume it would be between a quater and half the diameter deep but that is a total guess.

Guest Monkey Shines

callus: to form or develop hardened tissue

You should let it dry for about 5 days minimum in warm temps before putting in the ground or you will have a good chance of developing rot which is bad news, If you let it dry for a week or 2 in a dry dark area it will root alot faster. It doesnt matter how deep you plant them as long as they are stable, I havent had any personal experience with rooting sideways but I think it takes a bit longer to root.