The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Carambola

Maybe we need a munchies section too. This didn't seem like ethnobotany :P

Where can I buy "star fruit" or carambola, I love that stuff. At work after meetings occasionally there is a slice or two on the fruit platter and I'm hooked.

Neiter woolworths nor coles seems to have it, for this poor little suburbanite boy :(

Any current or ex sydneysiders know where I can get this delicious fruit?

[ 19. August 2005, 14:31: Message edited by: apothecary ]

Hi Apo

Carambola is in daley,s fruit tree,s autumn catalog.I dont have a link but its not hard to find.The thing is you have to order $100 or over so go to your favourite nursery and ask them to order one for you in their next order.There are probably other sources but this is the first one that came to mind.

huhumm :)i can get seeds galore (when fruit is falling)and cuttings to but im not sure how they go via cuttings.

apoth, if you ever make it to cairns, find yourself a garden with this tree in it. In the tropics the fruit produces an essential oil on it's skin that is simply devine. The aroma you get down here is a mere shadow of what it is when fresh. The oil appears to be very light and is gone within a few hours of picking. It also doesn't form on fruit grown in the subtropics.

Looks like I'm gonna be goin the whole way up the coast at the end of the year :P

carambola is a fruit i choose when the raspberry and blueberry season is over, carambola fruit from what i have been told by fruit suppiers in the inbetween seasons.

they genrally fruit in cooler times of the year normally in autum heading towards the warmer days i think, and due to australia's massive land mass farmers in different states take advantage of there climates to harvet this normally expensive fruit.

i love the star fruit for it's ganish possiblites. they can really make any fruit mousse gateaux look fantastic, then there is the vertical possibilites on plated desserts.

and when the berry season is over dessert plates look brilliant!!!!!!!!!

and how many berrys can you put on a dessert plate before it looks boring.

but at the moment lime is my choice for contrast.

fruitgarnish.jpg

it's nice to have a lick of green behind red blue and white

[ 23. August 2005, 15:55: Message edited by: jasemateau ]

Found some today at woolworths $15/kg.

Worth every penny. I ate one like a freakin apple, I love that shit.

hmm what a rip off, as this 5 corner fruit tree is a heavy bearer, one tree might yield 500kg of fruit!!

the fruit contains oxcalic acid.

my son was once sick (slight fever) and i asked him, what goodie he want's, he said carambola, i got him a nice one and after eating it he miracolusly felt well again. i used to grow those trees from seed, they grow fast, and are very rewarding, no doubt they would survive a sydney winter as long as you don't live out in the colder western suburbs.

there are many different varietys available.

mt. cootha botancal garden in brisi has got a few of them, my son and i loved to pick them there...

over and under ripe fruit consumption has to be avoided, similar like with many tropical fruits...