The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
infinite_monkey

Voacanga africana

does anybody have this plant, i have been recomended it by a friend, i am not in any great hurry its just something i would like to eventually have

We've just worked out an efficient way of doing cuttings from this plant (after 4 years of trying), so we will offer it on SAB by the middle of the next summer.

Does anyone IN AUSTRALIA sell voacanga seeds?

you did'nt lissen to what torsten said at eb01 or you all forgot. he said there is a seedbearing tree at sRBG at the "wall" somewhere.

oh, how i love my super longterm memory...

The tree at RBG does not bear seed. I haven't even seen it flower yet.

My oldest flowered for the first time this year, but didn't set seed. Maybe next year.

I remember that talk

And the photo. The plant was quite straggly but tall. Has anyone been back to see it since then?

typically how old are flowering and seed bearing voacongas?

thanx

any idea if this will suit southern climates more than iboga?

t s t .

voacanga is certainly hardier than iboga - by about 10 degrees!! The one in sydney was still there last year and is doing OK.

The seed bearing age will depend on climate. In the tropics I would think second or third year for first flowers and the seed the year after.

Voacanga is not comparable to iboga though. better off growing tabernaemontanas.

I have a plant/tree in my backyard which could be voacanga, maybe one of the 70+ seeds I once planted was good...I can't tell by torsten's pictures and cn't find any other pics on the net...I brought a twig to the last ethno meeting in Brissie but no-one had a clue what it was...hey I got a camera now, I'll take a pic today...strange tree that haven't seen one that looks like it anywhere else ....